Trash cans not provided by Landlord

45 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2020, 12:16:54, jeba said:

Where I used to live the municipality sold refuse bags which would be collected when the bins were emptied. You could get them at the local Wertstoffhof/recycling center or at the mayor´s hall. You´d have to ask your municipality or the company in charge of refuse collection.

I will do so. thank you

On 7/21/2020, 11:20:18, karin_brenig said:

just curious... are you the only tenant in this house? Are there other apartments besides the one you're vacating? Where do the other parties dispose of their trash, if the trash-house is locked? Doesn't every tenant have a key to that trash-house?

Strange place indeed - good thing you're moving out soon.

They dont speak english at all and not even german. They are students from China. I saw them throw their trash into other houses bins at midnight. i dont want to do that, i think its illegal right. 

4 hours ago, Ums said:

They dont speak english at all and not even german. They are students from China. I saw them throw their trash into other houses bins at midnight. i dont want to do that, i think its illegal right.

Possibly.

4 hours ago, Ums said:

im counting seconds to move out of this shit hole...  

and just what precautions are you taking to not move into your next shit hole?

30 minutes ago, catjones said:

and just what precautions are you taking to not move into your next shit hole?

Join the Mietverein. You never know what kind of problems you can have-even with nice owners.

1 hour ago, JN53 said:

Join the Mietverein. You never know what kind of problems you can have-even with nice owners.

Who needs a landlord breathing all over the shop? Go one step further and just buy a flipping place of your own and be done with this utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

We are suing our ex landlady, in part because she never gave us Nebenkosten bills.  That actually wasn’t our complaint...she basically ripped off our Kaution over bullshit reasons.  Our lawyer told us that by not accounting for the Nebenkosten, she was breaking the law and we can ask for all of it back...  and over four years that is a lot of euros.

You might want to think about that.

31 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

We are suing our ex landlady, in part because she never gave us Nebenkosten bills.  That actually wasn’t our complaint...she basically ripped off our Kaution over bullshit reasons.  Our lawyer told us that by not accounting for the Nebenkosten, she was breaking the law and we can ask for all of it back...  and over four years that is a lot of euros.

How long does a landlord have to send the bill for Nebenkosten though?

7 hours ago, lunaCH said:

How long does a landlord have to send the bill for Nebenkosten though?

They have a year after the year ends so a bill for 2018 had to arrive before the end of 2019, a bill for 2019 before the end of this year. If the landlord missed it, the tenant can refuse a late bill. However, a landlord can not get out of his debt with the tenant by being late.

Yeah, and when she got the court summons, she tried to settle with us and offer the bills in 2020 (we moved in November 2018).  The lawyer told us not to accept the settlement because she should have been presenting those bills when we were living in her house.  She basically went through the house, nitpicked every little scratch and charged us for it, claimed it wasn't clean enough, and charged us for bills that were her responsibility as well as out of statute, all because her 17 year old awning collapsed on a windy day and she blamed me for it-- claimed I was negligent because I can't predict the wind and wasn't actually sitting under the awning when it fell.  We even filed an insurance claim, but they gave her a very small settlement, so she decided to take our Kaution.

She's damned lucky that the awning didn't collapse on anyone and hurt or kill them.  I had complained about the awning leaning and rather than hire someone to fix it, she got her husband to do it.  As you can see, I'm still pretty pissed off about it.  

3 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

I'm still pretty pissed off about it.  

And it appears you have every right to be. You may well have been grossly overcharged on the Nebenkosten for years and without detailed billing coming yearly, you simply could not have known that during the years in question. Good luck with the case.

2 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

And it appears you have every right to be. You may well have been grossly overcharged on the Nebenkosten for years and without detailed billing coming yearly, you simply could not have known that during the years in question. Good luck with the case.

Thanks.  She prefers to rent to Americans and I have a feeling she’s done this to others besides us.  The previous tenants befriended her, but were only there 18 months and I think we got blamed for things they did.  She never even did a proper check in.  She also falsely accused us of stealing a refrigerator .  We did take a fridge, but it’s ours.  I bought it because the only fridge in her house was a mini dorm style fridge that barely worked.  She accused us of dumping the mini fridge on her... even said it’s an American fridge, even though it has a European plug and is easily purchased at the Real.

We didn’t want to go to court, but we don’t want her to prey on other Americans.  COVID has everything backed up.  Thank God our current landlord is so much better.

19 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Who needs a landlord breathing all over the shop? Go one step further and just buy a flipping place of your own and be done with this utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

Your answer to everything.  Zzzzz.

@Ums so happy to hear you are moving out of this place...maybe all the other tenants are going too hence he locked the bin room so everyone did not leave the big moving out rubbish behind. It's frustrating but thumbs up to focusing and putting your energy into your new place. 

1 hour ago, smurf said:

hence he locked the bin room so everyone did not leave the big moving out rubbish behind. 

Which is wrong because all tenants have the right to dump their trash where they are presently living, including prior to a move. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Which is wrong because all tenants have the right to dump their trash where they are presently living, including prior to a move. :rolleyes:

Another thing ex landlady bitched about, even though we gave her three month’s notice and rent, but moved after two, and paid her rent AND Nebenkosten.  She was angry because we left trash in the bins, even though we paid for the privilege.  

7 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

She was angry because we left trash in the bins

How pathetic. She clearly leads a sad life. I'm surprised she didn't specify that all bin bags had to be doubled up, double knotted, have a capacity not larger than 10 litres, be lilac in colour as well as be lavender and vanilla scented. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

How pathetic. She clearly leads a sad life. I'm surprised she didn't specify that all bin bags had to be doubled up, double knotted, have a capacity not larger than 10 litres, be lilac in colour as well as be lavender and vanilla scented. :rolleyes:

Yep...  she basically said we were the worst tenants she ever had, even though she was paid early every month and my husband is one of most accommodating people I have ever met.  She also yelled at me in my own home on more than one occasion.  She had an entire month of rent for an empty place AND Nebenkosten, and still, we’re “dirtbags“.  

She likes renting to Americans because we are often non-confrontational, ignorant of the language and laws, don’t tend to get insurance, and stay for a limited time.  I bet she was unpleasantly surprised that we had liability insurance...

And I’ll bet she was even more unpleasantly surprised that we had legal insurance...  (bwahahahaha). I can just picture the conniption now!  

Sorry, I’m still pissed.  

On 7/23/2020, 7:16:23, lunaCH said:

I really want to. But as i dont know german or any laws in germany i feel a bit unsafe in doing so. Also i have to travel for work hence buying a place seems a very large step. i can do it if i had some help though and also the right price. :)