Tönnies workers paid €9.35 per hour complaining about accommodation

8 posts in this topic

The Tönnies workers have been in the news because of the virus at the factory. They had deductions from their salary for accommodation, which was of poor quality. They seem to have been working through a subcontractor.

Given that they are low wage workers with full residence rights, are they eligible for state assistance to help pay for more dignified accommodation? In the UK that would be Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

I´d guess that many of them wanted to save as much as possible so they could send more money to their families in Romania. And that what´s deemed poor quality accommodation in Germany is quite okay by Romanian and Bulgarian standards.

Given that they are low wage workers with full residence rights, are they eligible for state assistance to help pay for more dignified accommodation? In the UK that would be Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

No, at least not for single workers. 

9.35 €/hour is the minimum wage and with a 40 hour work week is about 1621€/month gross or 1200€/month net (tax class I, no kids). Welfare is 432€/month for food and other expenses + reasonable rent and more than 750€/month rent for a single person would not be considered reasonable. 

As I tried to explain to you in your other thread, the working poor in Germany have enough to make ends meet, but that is about it.

Have you moved to Germany? Could you please update your other thread?

A quarter of monthly wage in deductions seems high for someone on minimum wage!

I haven't moved and yes I will update it!

If they are single and making minimum wage they probably don't qualify for assistance. They can try the job center.

It is however possible that they are not making minimum wage and it's semi legal because they are being sent here through an agency and are on legal contracts and legal wages in their home country.  There have been reports on this in the media.

21 minutes ago, CuriousAidan said:

Pension alone is almost 10%. On top of which there is health insurance, unemployment insurance, long-term care insurance, and income tax.

21 minutes ago, CuriousAidan said:

Then change your location too. 

On 7/11/2020, 11:15:53, CuriousAidan said:

That's the thing about Germany's much lauded social safety net: all workers have to pay into it, even the lower paid ones. In many other countries (like Ireland, where I come from), the lower paid pay very little in taxes and social insurance contributions and the little they do pay is often cancelled out by benefits received (e.g. child benefit).