Motorcycle crash

8 posts in this topic

Good evening Toytown,

So a couple of weeks ago i went to work at Zürich airport via the motorway but came back the scenic route via Waldshut, so croosing the border into Germany i was following a HGV (artic) he was turning left as i was but he stopped dead in the road about 20yds from the lights, was going to go around him but figured he was going to move, i was right, the reversing lights came on, he was reversing into me because he wanted to turn right instead of left, i was shouting, and blowing the horn but of course he could not hear me so my only option was to dump and jump, which i did with great success but he ran over my beautiful bike and then he stopped, after i told him what a knob he had been he then pull the trailer forward over my bike again. Police about a mile away, took them over 30 minutes to arrive.

Driver admitted fault so everything goes through his insurance.

So now my bike was taken to the local bike garage, where they have stripped off the damaged parts to give the insurance company a bill for the parts and labour.

I have the parts list but something's just don`t sit right, see if you agree: I would of thought that they would replace the front tyre? Also only replace one brake disc, i was always taught to replace in a pair and also replace the brake pads also. Also at the bottom of the left fork you can see deep scratches so maybe replace the fork?

So anyone know how the insurance company works here, bike is worth around 4500€ average price, do you think i should ask for the repair or just scrap it and take the cash or involve a lawyer and go after the truck company...

IMG_0240.jpeg

Oh and the my bike is a 2005 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple with 4800km from new, the bike was spotless, not a bloody mark on it, until last week:(

The bike garage have just handed to the insurance company all the relevant costs if a repair is required or cost effective, for me i don't really want my bike back and it would be hard for me to sell a accident repaired bike for decent money, i would lose.

2 hours ago, Asaba said:

The bike garage have just handed to the insurance company all the relevant costs if a repair is required or cost effective, for me i don't really want my bike back and it would be hard for me to sell a accident repaired bike for decent money, i would lose.

What is the cost estimate provided to the insurance by garage? You could decide yourself whether you want your bike to get repaired or you want the money. If your bike is not totaled you will get the estimated cost - mwst, if you don't get your bike repaired. If its totaled, you would get the current value of your bike.

6 hours ago, Asaba said:

If it is not too late get a Gutachten, that will take into account looses in resale value due to the accident and all necessary parts are quoted for, rather than just the badly damaged ones. Same thing happened to a mate of mine whilst filling up in a service station, a tanker backed into and over his bike, it got written off.

3 hours ago, Acton said:

Have you considered giving large vehicles like this a wide berth?

:huh: