Does public health insurance cover periodontal care / recessed gums?

5 posts in this topic

I'm covered under TK, unfortunately without supplementary dental insurance, and I was recently informed about a serious case of periodontal disease (Parodontose) and recessed gums. Assuming this is medically necessary, how much does TK cover for the treatment(s)? Couldn't find info on their website.

And in addition, is it possible or worthwhole to get dental insurance with these preexisting conditions? (I have several minor fillings, as well as a root canal... yeah my teeth are a mess) If so I'm assuming I'd have higher premiums, and severely endangered teeth would not be covered.

Why don't you call them or send them an email?

I have the supplementary dental insurance from envivas since more than 10 years to cover implants or crowns. I think, I paid more than 3000€ overall.

However, did not need it 'til now. Every now and then I had to pay some 70€ for high quality fillings, but forgot to send the bills to envivas.

When my dentist asks me what kind of filling I want, I always answer "The best".

I prefer to pay out of my pocket 70€ to having to replace a tooth with a implant.

Found this on the TK homepage:

" Ist eine Parodontitisbehandlung medizinisch erforderlich, rechnet der Zahnarzt die vertraglich vereinbarten Kosten direkt über die TK-Gesundheitskarte mit uns ab."

Your dentist has to take some recess measurements and send it to your insurance for approval.  Once approved they will cover it, the treatment takes one or two sessions depending on your tolerance for pain, and it is a bit bloody.   IIRC you can take the procedure once a year.

And it would be recommended to take the deep cleaning and profilaxis more often than as per normal, maybe profilaxis every six months.  Only some health insurances cover profilaxis, and it might be that you have to go to some particular dentist to do it.

But I guess your dentist can explain you all these better.

1 hour ago, Pandekage said:

I'm covered under TK, unfortunately without supplementary dental insurance, and I was recently informed about a serious case of periodontal disease (Parodontose) and recessed gums. Assuming this is medically necessary, how much does TK cover for the treatment(s)? Couldn't find info on their website.

https://www.tk.de/techniker/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/informationen-versicherte/leistungen/zaehne/zahnbehandlungen/paradontitisbehandlung-tk-traegt-kosten-2002382

So if TK cover some treatment, the dentist has to submit a plan of treatment to them, and they then say how much they will cover.