Alleinerziehend (Single parent), what does it mean exactly?

11 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding the concept of "alleinerziehend" (single parent). I've always thought that a single parent is a person that has no partner and that is raising the child alone. But yesterday, after a talk with a person that was trying to explain me how the kita score works, told me that I can be considered as a "single parent". I'll try to explain my current situation, so maybe you can help me. I am married and waiting for my first child, but I am currently living alone, because my husband is living and working in another country. He visits me regularly, and he will do the same once the baby is born, so I don't know if, for this reason, I can be considered a single parent or not. This is very important for me, because I could get an higher score with the kitas, and maybe have the chance to enter in a public one. But I want to be sure to be compliant with the law before I tick the option "Frau XXX ist alleinerziehend für das Kind." in the kitafinder.

Can someone give me an hint, or tell me where I can find more info regarding this topic?

Many thanks!

Hi there,
well officially you are NOT a single so you shouldnt ask for a płace as a single... but on the another hand yours husband doesn’t live with you and he is not registered at the place where do you live so you can use the explanation of : dauernd getrennt lebend, which means you are living for a longer time alone . So you can decide . Kita is not the only one problem that you gonna force with;-) 

Alleinerziehende sind Mütter oder Väter, die ledig, verwitwet, dauernd getrennt lebend oder geschieden sind und nicht mit einem anderen Erwachsenen, jedoch mit ihrem Kind oder ihren Kindern in ständiger Haushaltsgemeinschaft zusammenleben (sogenannte Einelternfamilie)

On 7/7/2020, 11:47:09, nadjaaa said:

Hi there,
well officially you are NOT a single so you shouldnt ask for a płace as a single... but on the another hand yours husband doesn’t live with you and he is not registered at the place where do you live so you can use the explanation of : dauernd getrennt lebend, which means you are living for a longer time alone . So you can decide . Kita is not the only one problem that you gonna force with;-) 

Alleinerziehende sind Mütter oder Väter, die ledig, verwitwet, dauernd getrennt lebend oder geschieden sind und nicht mit einem anderen Erwachsenen, jedoch mit ihrem Kind oder ihren Kindern in ständiger Haushaltsgemeinschaft zusammenleben (sogenannte Einelternfamilie)

Thanks for your reply. Where could I put this info in the kitafinder? (if there is the possibility...)

you can safely (and legally) mark the checkbox "alleinerziehend", because the definition posted by @nadjaaa lists "dauernd getrennt lebend" as one of the qualifying factors:

You are considered "alleinerziehend" if you are
single,
widowed,
living separate,
or divorced

and there is no other adult living in your household continuously

6 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

you can safely (and legally) mark the checkbox "alleinerziehend", because the definition posted by @nadjaaa lists "dauernd getrennt lebend" as one of the qualifying factors:

You are considered "alleinerziehend" if you are
single,
widowed,
living separate,
or divorced

and there is no other adult living in your household continuously

Thanks for the reply. I interpreted that as "legally separate" so I tought it was not my case because he regurarly come to visit me, but most probably once the baby is born he will try to come for every weekend. I am confused, because I have posted the same questions on another forum and they told me I am not allowed to be considered in this category because we are actually married and he visit me regurarly, even if not living here.

On ‎30‎.‎06‎.‎2020‎ ‎10‎:‎08‎:‎40, angychan said:

.... But yesterday, after a talk with a person that was trying to explain me how the kita score works, told me that I can be considered as a "single parent". ....

so, if the person you talked to was anything "official" with regards to the Kita system in your hometown, you can safely take their advice.

Your husband will not be registered as "living at your address", he will simply be a regular visitor. His "center of activity", where he normally works, eats, and sleeps, will still be far away from you - so you are living alone, with your child, with no other adult present to help with the daily chores.

Of course you can listen to different people's opinion and act accordingly.

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

Your husband will not be registered as "living at your address", he will simply be a regular visitor. His "center of activity", where he normally works, eats, and sleeps, will still be far away from you

Not in the eyes of the Finanzamt!

5 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

Your husband will not be registered as "living at your address", he will simply be a regular visitor. His "center of activity", where he normally works, eats, and sleeps, will still be far away from you

Not in the eyes of the Finanzamt!

On 10.7.2020, 15:59:35, angychan said:

I interpreted that as "legally separate" so I tought it was not my case because he regurarly come to visit me, but most probably once the baby is born he will try to come for every weekend. I am confused, because I have posted the same questions on another forum and they told me I am not allowed to be considered in this category because we are actually married and he visit me regurarly, even if not living here.

I regret to inform that you have come to the wrong website to receive accurate information. Unfortunately there are many obtuse and obstinate posters who have no idea of what they are talking about yet feel the need to post. You correctly understood the question.

1) Die Ehegatten leben getrennt, wenn zwischen ihnen keine häusliche Gemeinschaft besteht und ein Ehegatte sie erkennbar nicht herstellen will, weil er die eheliche Lebensgemeinschaft ablehnt. Die häusliche Gemeinschaft besteht auch dann nicht mehr, wenn die Ehegatten innerhalb der ehelichen Wohnung getrennt leben.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bgb/__1567.html

4 hours ago, engelchen said:

I regret to inform that you have come to the wrong website to receive accurate information. Unfortunately there are many obtuse and obstinate posters who have no idea of what they are talking about yet feel the need to post. You correctly understood the question.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bgb/__1567.html

Thanks. Maybe I have to go to and Elternberatung to ask. I guess they know what I should do (finger crossed).