Is TK insurance valid in Turkey?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Right now, Germany has warning for travelers going to turkey due to the corona. I’m wondering in this case is TK insurance valid in turkey? I mean if I get sick (hope not) may I use TK in turkey? 

On the back of the TK health card there is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but this is only valid within the EU and Turkey isn't part of the EU so private health insurance will be needed. I remember a few people from the UK being caught out a few years ago when having accidents in Turkey while on holiday and thinking they could use the EHIC.

3 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

On the back of the TK health card there is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but this is only valid within the EU and Turkey isn't part of the EU so private health insurance will be needed. I remember a few people from the UK being caught out a few years ago when having accidents in Turkey while on holiday and thinking they could use the EHIC.

It is valid also in some non EU states (Switzerland, Norway), but not in Turkey, definitely:

Die EHIC ist in folgenden Ländern gültig: In allen EU-Staaten ( Deutschland: Belgien, Bulgarien, Dänemark, Estland, Finnland, Frankreich, Griechenland, Großbritannien, Irland, Italien, Lettland, Litauen, Luxemburg, Malta, Niederlande, Österreich, Polen, Portugal, Rumänien, Schweden, Slowakei, Slowenien, Spanien, Tschechien, Ungarn, Zypern) sowie der Schweiz, Island, Liechtenstein, Norwegen, Kroatien und Mazedonien. Seit 2012 auch in Serbien.

https://www.krankenkassen.de/ausland/Europaeische-Krankenversicherungskarte/

In Cyprus only Greek part is covered, not Turkish part. If you're a non EU citizen, came to the Cyprus via Turkey it is possible that the Cyprus authorities will not allow you to the Greek Cyprus.

40 minutes ago, jeba said:

Aren´t you in Israel anymore?

I am. Edited the post.

There is still a 2 week compulsory quarantine for those returning from abroad, so I can't travel so far.

In case of an emergency, the insurance is valid. You need to get a T/A 11 document from your Krankenkasse, on which, the beginning date should match with your entry date to Turkey. Then you should go to SGK (The institution for social security) with this document once you are in Turkey, and get a YUPASS number.

But again, only in an emergency situation. Otherwise you need an additional travel health insurance.