Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

peloton: Anyone bought the bike?

10 posts in this topic

Due to a little bit of pressure to lose weight, I was wondering if anyone has bought the peloton bike?

 

Is it worth the investment?

 

Getting good reviews and seems very addictive but am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the bike?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

Due to a little bit of pressure to lose weight, I was wondering if anyone has bought the peloton bike?

 

Is it worth the investment?

 

Getting good reviews and seems very addictive but am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the bike (started recently in Germany)?

 

That's quite an investment in something you don't know you'll like.  I know someone who has one and he's very enthusiastic about it, but he was already exercising regularly.  You need to start slowly and build up to that. I already know the bike is not for me, I've had one and it eventually became a clothes hanger!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Due to a little bit of pressure to lose weight, I was wondering if anyone has bought the peloton bike?

 

Is it worth the investment?

 

Getting good reviews and seems very addictive but am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the bike?

Is it similar to Echelon? A friend has one and loves it.... it’s a part of his extensive home gym.  He had a heart attack about 10 years ago age 40 and is now dedicated to health and fitness.  
 

If money is no object, worth trying.  Could end up a very expensive clothes horse.  We like our Kettler bike...plenty of stats, settings and heart/BP monitor. Amazing how quickly stamina increases. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think emkay is right, start with a normal exercise bike and see how you get on with it, before you spend too much on something you won't use much.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am one of those people who needs group exercise to keep me interested.

 

Put me on a bike or a treadmill i most likely will stop after 5 mins.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no experience with them, but I would consider them only if money is not a problem.  Because the investment is high and you depend on the company, so if they go tits up there go your money, which actually happened already to some of Peloton's competitors.  And by the way, Peloton bricked all Flywheel's bikes after they won a patent dispute against them, so to me they are a crappy company, they could somehow take those customers, offer them Peloton bikes and taking their old bikes as a trade in or something, but kicking people on the nuts was bad.

 

For that money I would consider an eBike instead, you can cycle long distances in outdoors and actually contrary to what people think, you make lot of exercise on them.

 

I see your problem is motivation, I was on a similar situation (not as bad a you though) some years ago, I was having chest pains, high blood pressure, I had to take blood thinners and the doctor recommended me to exercise.   I really hate gyms and I had no motivation to go there.  However I just manned up and started going to the crappy gym because I thought my health was more important, it sucked big time at the beginning, I hate gym "culture", but after a while it was better, I do not go there to socialize, I found my routine, I make it in 45 minutes without wasting time and I go out.   I try to go there 2 to 3 times a week.   During the Corona time I even missed that shitty place.

 

P.S., What helps me to endure the shitty gym time is doing something else at the same time, like listening to music, listening to audiobooks, or even watching TV series on the phone when doing cardio.   I've seen some people Facetiming all the time and wondered if they were idiots, but now I kind of understand it.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I have no experience with them, but I would consider them only if money is not a problem.  Because the investment is high and you depend on the company, so if they go tits up there go your money, which actually happened already to some of Peloton's competitors.  And by the way, Peloton bricked all Flywheel's bikes after they won a patent dispute against them, so to me they are a crappy company, they could somehow take those customers, offer them Peloton bikes and taking their old bikes as a trade in or something, but kicking people on the nuts was bad.

 

For that money I would consider an eBike instead, you can cycle long distances in outdoors and actually contrary to what people think, you make lot of exercise on them.

 

I see your problem is motivation, I was on a similar situation (not as bad a you though) some years ago, I was having chest pains, high blood pressure, I had to take blood thinners and the doctor recommended me to exercise.   I really hate gyms and I had no motivation to go there.  However I just manned up and started going to the crappy gym because I thought my health was more important, it sucked big time at the beginning, I hate gym "culture", but after a while it was better, I do not go there to socialize, I found my routine, I make it in 45 minutes without wasting time and I go out.   I try to go there 2 to 3 times a week.   During the Corona time I even missed that shitty place.

 

P.S., What helps me to endure the shitty gym time is doing something else at the same time, like listening to music, listening to audiobooks, or even watching TV series on the phone when doing cardio.   I've seen some people Facetiming all the time and wondered if they were idiots, but now I kind of understand it.

 

Last year I went to Cross Fit and found it great. Completely motivated as there were a big group all doing the same stuff. Classes now cancelled due to Corona (Social distancing).

 

The thing about peloton is that you are also competing with other riders and it might give me the extra motivation i need. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

 

Last year I went to Cross Fit and found it great. Completely motivated as there were a big group all doing the same stuff. Classes now cancelled due to Corona (Social distancing).

 

The thing about peloton is that you are also competing with other riders and it might give me the extra motivation i need. 

 

The classes are opening up again.  With Abstand.  I am however not that keen on the indoor thing, and can understand with you health history that you might want to wait a bit.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Last year I went to Cross Fit and found it great. Completely motivated as there were a big group all doing the same stuff. Classes now cancelled due to Corona (Social distancing).

 

Is it possible to join a Nordic Walking group in your area?     It provides activity, but low enough impact that it is probably possible to socialize.   A former colleague of mine lost a lot of weight using that as his primary method of exercise.  

 

One thing that might help is tracking via watch or phone app, and setting a couple of easily achievable goals.    Set a floor for the number of steps walked per day or week and raise it, for example.  

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peloton do seem like a scum company, they tried to sue a youtuber for using the word peloton in one of his segments.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-indoor-cycling-brand-peloton-threatens-youtuber-legal-action-using-word-peloton

 

also, the bike is like crazy overpriced.

I have an indoor trainer for my road bike, so on bad weather / winter i can hop on that.

I don't focus on the social aspect so much, so i use sufferfest, but there are other apps , zwift being (i guess) thee most popular one, and that has a lot of social aspects to it.

but there's also things like rouvy, road grand tours, others.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0