Living in Munich but paid in USD - is it allowed?

23 posts in this topic

So, I'm a non EU national (not American!). My job is an influencer so I work for an online platform like YouTube. My total monthly earnings from various social platforms are in the range of 3500 - 4000 USD of which I receive 3000 - 3500 euros in my bank, after transfer fees and USD to EUR conversion rates. I have only recently started earning (since April) from this job - so I'm aware that I must apply for a new kind of permit as being self employment at the KVR. I don't have any contract, my hours and income are upto me. More hours = more income. My question is, well, would they accept this ? I know their main concern is that Non EU nationals might become dependent on the state and so try to limit the risk of this happening. But, my income has been stable, and has been slightly increasing every month. What do you think? I'm currently working on a business plan to submit to them with all my financials. Is there anyone else here who has a similar experience? Thanks!

How interesting.

Care to drop a link to your youtube-like channel? 

Somehow... this doesn't sound like an honest question.

(With that kind of income this lady (?) could ask a relocation service what to do.)

It smacks of a get rich quick spam mail...

58 minutes ago, Metall said:

Yeah, you're right, though the text isn't littered with grammar and spelling errors 

1 hour ago, Metall said:

Somehow... this doesn't sound like an honest question.

(With that kind of income this lady (?) could ask a relocation service what to do.)

Haha no I'm not advertising, just asking. If I were, I'd have specified the name of the organisation (which I haven't!)

24 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

What visa and health insurance do you have at the moment?

Student visa but I've been outside the EU this year because of covid-19 and will only return in a few months time. I have to apply for a new visa now because the old one's expired and I'm no longer a student. So I'd be applying for a "Job seeker" visa to come back and work out this process. But I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I come back so that this process takes as little time as possible. I pay health insurance to TK

46 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Why would German laws apply if you're in France?

I'd created this account some years ago back when I lived in France. I haven't lived there since then

44 minutes ago, melissafernandes said:

Student visa but I've been outside the EU this year because of covid-19 and will only return in a few months time. I have to apply for a new visa now because the old one's expired and I'm no longer a student. So I'd be applying for a "Job seeker" visa to come back and work out this process. But I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I come back so that this process takes as little time as possible. I pay health insurance to TK

I guess you are in India at the moment, maybe you could edit your profile to show where you are actual now, because you just said you are not in Germany now

If you get a VISA, to live in EU/Germany, then you just have to register as self-employed, which will be part of the VISA process as well, I think you also need to prove you have somewhere to live as well. Self employed people can work non-normal hours and non-standard wages, its not a problem.

Good luck with your plan

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I guess you are in India at the moment, maybe you could edit your profile to show where you are actual now, because you just said you are not in Germany now

If you get a VISA, to live in EU/Germany, then you just have to register as self-employed, which will be part of the VISA process as well, I think you also need to prove you have somewhere to live as well. Self employed people can work non-normal hours and non-standard wages, its not a problem.

Good luck with your plan

You're right I am in India right now. The plan is to apply for a job seeker visa and return as soon as possible. Once there, I plan to apply for a freelancer/self employed permit for which I need a business plan (which I'm working on right now).

The reason I'm slightly nervous about it is because last year, I applied for the same permit, but as a painter/artist. The only problem was that I wasn't making much money. The IHK had accepted my application but at the last minute the KVR said no. And when I'd asked them why they said they have the discretion to do what they like and since I don't have a degree in art (my degree is in engineering), they said they'd rejected my application.

Now, I have the income, but firstly, I don't have a degree in being an influencer (does one even exist, I wonder?); secondly and more importantly, I'm getting paid in dollars and living in Munich is not essential to my job. That's why I'm concerned about a second rejection

sorry I just do not know enough to help you, but as a general rule here, its best to be as honest as possible on this site, if people spot problems in your story they will come down on you hard on this site.

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

sorry I just do not know enough to help you, but as a general rule here, its best to be as honest as possible on this site, if people spot problems in your story they will come down on you hard on this site.

Uff - yes I got that feeling. Thanks for your input!

well, it's really very simple:

you have two basic options to legally live in Germany - pick the one, that best suits your needs.

1. Aufenthaltserlaubnis - three possible scenarios
a. as a student - register for a suitable course, and prove that you can support yourself
b. as an employee - get hired by a company (maybe based on your engineering degree)
c. via family - like your German husband/wife, or your German parents/child

2. Blue Card - skilled worker program

get a job as an employee - being an engineer that should be easy

Your "influencer" gig/self-employment isn't likely to get you where you want to be, unless you have a really compelling business plan that shows the potential to create jobs and generate income for more than just yourself.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I agree with everything you said:

2 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

get a job as an employee - being an engineer that should be easy

I spent over a year looking for a job in the Munich and Bavaria region with no success for whatever reason, despite the fact that I have a bachelors and a masters degree in Aerospace Engineering. If I couldn't find one while the economy was good, I see little to no chance of getting a 'normal' job post covid-19. And, in retrospect I don't want it anymore. I much prefer being in charge of my hours and being my own boss.

Also

3 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

Your "influencer" gig/self-employment isn't likely to get you where you want to be, unless you have a really compelling business plan that shows the potential to create jobs and generate income for more than just yourself.

I have an American acquaintance who's a freelance english teacher in Munich and I don't think he has a crazy high income; and he most definitely doesn't have any employees

Just now, melissafernandes said:

I have an American acquaintance who's a freelance english teacher in Munich and I don't think he has a crazy high income; and he most definitely doesn't have any employees

Americans also don't even need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, whereas Indians do; German immigration rules vary based on citizenship. 

3 hours ago, melissafernandes said:

Now, I have the income, but firstly, I don't have a degree in being an influencer (does one even exist, I wonder?); secondly and more importantly, I'm getting paid in dollars and living in Munich is not essential to my job. That's why I'm concerned about a second rejection

It is not really clear why you need to be in Munich.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Americans also don't even need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, whereas Indians do; German immigration rules vary based on citizenship. 

Yes I'm aware of that.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

It is not really clear why you need to be in Munich.

Because I love this city. Because my loved ones and friends live here. I'm not keen to start all over again in a new place at this point in my life

15 minutes ago, melissafernandes said:

Because I love this city. Because my loved ones and friends live here. I'm not keen to start all over again in a new place at this point in my life

Those are not reasons relevant to the requirements for a residence permit. 

Have you considered getting married? 

9 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Those are not reasons relevant to the requirements for a residence permit. 

Have you considered getting married? 

Yes, that's why I said being in Munich isn't essential to my work. I can do it from anywhere.

I have considered it but one can't exactly force someone to marry one.