Neighbor installed IR night hunting webcam facing my garden and property

68 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, lunaCH said:

So, I'm not sure now if we will try to contest this decision. I don't know if this is possible

If police viewed it as a case of vandalism rather than attempted burglary I´m afraid you´re fighting an uphill battle, given that you don´t seem to have insurance against vandalism. How do you want to disprove that?

9 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Typical, they love to take your money but when it is time to pay out on a claim...

In Germany there is an insurance ombudsman, my wife lodged a claim against her health insurance and got a good result, not sure if you have the same in Switzerland though.

BTW regarding the quote about window locks, whilst it might stop a burglar it might also stop someone getting out in case of a fire etc.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

If police viewed it as a case of vandalism rather than attempted burglary I´m afraid you´re fighting an uphill battle, given that you don´t seem to have insurance against vandalism. How do you want to disprove that?

Thank you both for your input. 

The property is in Germany. We had a Helvetia Versicherung Deutschland home insurance policy. 

We reported it all as attempted break-ins. What exactly is written in the Police report is not known to us yet. I will ask our lawyer who is dealing with the case, as they will have obtained a copy in the meantime as well. 

I obviously disagree with the decision primarily because it doesn't reflect what we told the Police and yes it is merely a case here of the insurance taking your money, playing around with words (and people) in order to say because he didn't manage to get through either door we won't pay the damage

If they weren't attempted break-ins what the heck were they?

Why didn't he simply bash the rocks or metal bar he used against something else like a window, the mailbox, the garden, the walls?

If he was there for half an hour specifically on one door banging, it is clear to us he was trying to get in. If he had have gone on any longer on one door he would have got through it. 

We will complain to the ombudsman, I highly doubt we will challenge this legally though - also because we're still in the process of trying to get the same money out of the neighbour, - from the outset it was decided to pursue three routes to try to get the damages, via building insurance, via home insurance and via legal case against perpetrator. Both insurances have drawn blanks. Only the last route is still a possibility it seems. :rolleyes: 

Here it seems that people can go around trying to break in to places, causing damage but the Police and your insurance companies simply look the other way. As I've said before, you're by and large on your own in these situations unless you try to fight all of this stuff legally. :angry:

What made the home insurance's behaviour even worse was the fact that they took 6 months to reach a negative decision.

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

... the Police and your insurance companies simply look the other way.

Indeed. You have been given The Great Fob-Off.

Ombudsman.

It stinks. It shouldn't be this way. I hope you have the energy and financial reserves to keep fighting.

36 minutes ago, optimista said:

Indeed. You have been given The Great Fob-Off.

Ombudsman.

It stinks. It shouldn't be this way. I hope you have the energy and financial reserves to keep fighting.

It stinks bad, I agree. 

We shouldn't have to plough any more money into this though, unless the monster starts up again and causes more damage of course. 

I think to report to the ombudsman is free of costs. And the court and legal fees for the case against him have already been all paid, we're just (still) waiting for the case to be heard.

6 hours ago, lunaCH said:

home insurance and via legal case against perpetrator. Both insurances have drawn blanks.

What´s the reason the legal cost insurance gave?

2 hours ago, jeba said:

What´s the reason the legal cost insurance gave?

Sorry, I didn't write it very clearly. Thank you for asking. 

The two insurances that refused payouts for anything that happened were the 1. building insurance and the 2. home/contents insurance. 

For the building insurance the decision came through fairly quickly - they simply said it wasn't covered. Which according to the policy it seems not to be, so I can't really do anything about that apart from change the policy and/or company to something that will cover it from next year. 

The building insurance people suggested trying with the home insurance and vice versa! 

We don't have legal insurance and are simply pursuing the neighbour by means of a legal case at the same time. I paid for the lawyer, court fees etc, up front. 

If he's not made to pay something in court then I would be stunned - but will indicate that if that is the case then anyone can damage anything in Germany and not have to pay for the damage. At that stage it is as simple as that, because it would really mean no one does anything about anything here. 

Incidentally the Police investigation is still ongoing (yes, 6 months later, as it was first closed and then reopened!) .- I don't know if the public prosecution can also award damages independently of the fact that we are pursuing him civilly. 

I came across this article from 2017. We are a similar situation to the neighbours of the woman causing the problems described. We have followed advice given, but it doesn't get you anywhere. Most have said it is just easier to wait until he dies of his illness or drinks himself to death (our neighbour is known to the Police, has partial dementia and is an agressive alcoholic). 

https://ga.de/bonn/bad-godesberg/seniorin-bringt-nachbarn-in-bad-godesberg-in-gefahr_aid-43552525

I would just install a cheap laser pointer pointing directly to his camera. I find that unreasonable bullies tend not to react well if you try to reason with them, hence unreasonable. But they do respect you if you push back.