Neighbor installed IR night hunting webcam facing my garden and property

57 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I noticed my neighbor installed a hunting IR wireless camera (like those from Maginon) and put it on a pole facing directly, at about 15 meters, my garden, my windows, my property. His idea is to "look at the wildlife" that passes by his garden, which is obviously directly in front of the camera, but behind that there is also my garden and apartment (ground floor) with windows on my kitchen, living room and small office. This neighbor lives on the upper floors of my building and is connected to the family of the landlord himself (a brother).

What can I do apart from hiring a friend to come at night and steal it? :)

Call the Ordnungsamt and make a report. It's illegal to film off your property.

7 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Call the Ordnungsamt and make a report. It's illegal to film off your property.

Thanks! Can I keep it anonymous to avoid any sort of retaliation? I might wait a bit to avoid drawing obvious suspicion on me. Other neighbors are facing that way but only in a minor way compared to my property. However there is a chance they could notice.. and call the Ordnungsamt.

In the meantime (unrelated but kinda motivated by this last "camera" showing up in front of my garden) I asked the landlord about the procedure and schedule in case I want to vacate my apartment. I am not doing it "because of this" but months ago my wife and I started thinking about moving to a place where we can live and work together in the same unit, instead of renting a separate place for work. This latest mishap just kinda oiled the mood and now the email is out!

Lol you are right! Funny enough we do have Füchse (a nice small family now, for some reason just passed by there yesterday, two big, two puppies) a Dachs, Washbaer (kinda rare but they're here) and Marder ;)

Truth be told we're in 12557 Koepenick, we live in front of a huge park. Boars might be next! YAY!

But the most exciting ones are the "orange-red-hair" dyed nice former "East-Berlin" huge women ;) those are WILD!

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Birds.

Birds are (almost exclusively) diurnal.  

Just now, fraufruit said:

Here's a crazy idea that you might try - talk to the guy. He probably doesn't know it's illegal. Take cupcakes.

And maybe he can angle camera to exclude your garden and home.

1 hour ago, OpRez said:

What can I do apart from hiring a friend to come at night and steal it?

Steal it yourself. Wear a mask. ;)

Thanks for the tips, folks! I should really stop being that "normal" and go for something totally crazy for once in my life, I mean what's the worst to lose? Yes, yes, I should really go for something crazy.. like talking sense into somebody XD

Seriously though, it's a viable thing, but I know him and his family and they will go super sticky on me, they will use my "critic" to apologize like crazy and use that to be constantly at my door step. It's a hairy topic for a forum, some people I wrote this too got offended and said many times I am the weird one, so I won't go into it. After all, I am leaving this place within this year anyway.

But it's no excuse to not thank you for all the tips! It's definitely an open topic, except for the Ordungsamt. For them it's just felony and gets punished by law. Gotta love the simplicity, sometimes :)

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Here's a crazy idea that you might try - talk to the guy. He probably doesn't know it's illegal. Take cupcakes.

Definitely do that because also for all you know the camera is angled down enough that he cannot see your garden on it.

If he`s German I bet he does 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Maybe the OP doesn't want to do that as then there would definitely be no option to tip the Police off anonymously.;)

Thanks for the additional feedback, in my opinion:

1) The camera is not angled, it's straight vertical against the horizon (probably just a couple degrees off, meaning it can cleary see me, I've seen some videos on YouTube of the same model and they're also wide angle)

2) I concur on the fact that talking to them is enough to not being technically viable IF ONLY for the loss of the option to tip the police off. Although I won't hide myself behind this - very valid - reason because first and foremost I admit the first reason not to talk to them is that these are super sticky people. Nice, too nice, sticky. The type that falls of the tree of surprise as to "why in the world would anyone feel offended by my 5000% kindness shockwave :)) of being constantly stalking the neighbor I love!?". Again: hairy topic ;)

3 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

What kind of wildlife do you have in Berlin? Grizzly bears, leopards?

The interesting ones we've caught on our camera are foxes, hedgehogs, squirrels and ducks.  There are plenty of wild boars and rabbits as well.

P.S., Just tell your neighbour to please point his camera to his property.  If he refuses then report him to the Ordnungsamt.   Just don't go the passive-aggressive way reporting it "anonymously". 

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

P.S., Just tell your neighbour to please point his camera to his property.  If he refuses then report him to the Ordnungsamt.   Just don't go the passive-aggressive way reporting it "anonymously". 

Exactly. I'll straight ahead say that. One thing worth mentioning is that it's always hard to know that "the camera is not pointing at you", because - unless the angles are really extreme - those cameras have three dots plus a central one that "look everywhere", and their look is usually "oh my, it's pointed at me anyway". The whole purposes of those wide angle lenses is to capture a big area in their field of view.. the garden is roughly 90-100 sqm.. the only way would be to have it pointed with the back at our property, that would work. Or low enough to be below the bushes so that our bushes kinda cover the windows sight as well.

Anyway, I'll talk to them easily when spotted in the garden (they're usually going around all over the property, which surrounds our apartment.. yes, they're like that :)).

What about suggesting to him to fit a blinder underneath the camera so that your privacy isn´t intruded? Like one of the boards people put unerneath bird´s nests to not have bird poo on their veranda.

Good suggestions. I'll talk to him and suggest that he finds a position that does not include my garden and still allows him to see the wildlife. I'll make sure to underline that I am not panicking for anything in particular, it's just that I don't want to be filmed or recorded.

Between you and me, my private life is nothing in particular that I need to hide but I simply intend to allow my right to not be recorded or filmed this way, which the laws of this country, at present time say to be illegal. (this last paragraph is just for the questioners.. I won't play the "law" card on him at the first hand, see, I am very tolerant lol)

Anyway I wrote the landlord today that I will be leaving the premises in the year and I'll make sure to notify him 3 months in advance, as per contract.