Pregnant with a job offer

10 posts in this topic

I have recently found out I am pregnant (currently 8 weeks so it's still pretty early). My husband works here in Germany (we are both from EU countries) and I work part time freelance for a company abroad so I am currently on my husband's family insurance.

A friend of a friend has offered me a part time job here which I would like to take but I haven't mentioned being pregnant (I haven't even told most of my family). I know this person, they have a small business and they don't have any other employees. I also know that they've been having a hard time through lock down but are working hard to build their business now. I would like the job but have decided to tell them about the pregnancy before signing a contract (although I know I don't have to) and also possibly to suggest something where I work until I'm 8 months and then I stop working for them, or they can find someone else to replace me at that point. Having run my own small business before I know how difficult it can be financially and I don't want to make it harder for someone who is already working hard to get their business back off the ground.

My question is about elterngeld and health insurance etc. I've read quite a lot but I'm still not sure how it all works. 

If I end up not working for the company and just work freelance for the company abroad will these earnings affect the amount of Elterngeld I can receive? 

If I do work for the company and leave after 6 more months, does this affect the amount of Elterngeld I can receive? Also, if I switch to paying my own health insurance through my employment, is it then ok to go back to family insurance once I am finished?

Also one other thing in general about Elterngeld - if my husband and I both would both like to take time off at the same time to look after the baby, how does that work in terms of money received, especially if I have been only working freelance?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

You might consider making it easier for him by entering into a time-limited contract only to take the risk off him that you may change your mind. It would still be a risk for him even before 8 months as a doctor might ban you from working ("Beschäftigungsverbot").

30 minutes ago, BerlinB said:

I work part time freelance for a company abroad so I am currently on my husband's family insurance.

Approximately how much do you earn every month as a freelancer? Does your husband's insurance company know about your foreign income? Have you been filing German tax returns? 

16 minutes ago, jeba said:

You might consider making it easier for him by entering into a time-limited contract only to take the risk off him that you may change your mind. It would still be a risk for him even before 8 months as a doctor might ban you from working ("Beschäftigungsverbot").

Ok, yes that sounds like a good idea! Thank you

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Approximately how much do you earn every month as a freelancer? Does your husband's insurance company know about your foreign income? Have you been filing German tax returns? 

I earn under £450 a month and yes the insurance company does know. I only moved to Germany in March this year so haven't done a tax return this year, but I've previously lived in Germany and have filed tax returns for those times.

6 minutes ago, BerlinB said:

I earn under £450 a month and yes the insurance company does know. I only moved to Germany in March this year so haven't done a tax return this year, but I've previously lived in Germany and have filed tax returns for those times.

Elterngeld for the self-employed is usually calculated based on the previous year's tax return. If the baby comes in 2021 they will look at your 2020 earnings, however, it sounds as if you would just qualify for the minimum 300€/month.

Your entitlement to Elterngeld if you were an employee would be calculated based on earnings in the 12 months prior to the birth.

BTW, your prospective employer should research the U1 and U2 Umlage.

4 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Elterngeld for the self-employed is usually calculated based on the previous year's tax return. If the baby comes in 2021 they will look at your 2020 earnings, however, it sounds as if you would just qualify for the minimum 300€/month.

Thank you. I have another question. How does this work if my husband wants to take time off to look after the baby(he earns considerably more than me)?. If I qualify for 300 e/month, I'm assuming he would qualify for more - what happens if we take time off together? How does it work when there is such a big difference in earnings? Thanks

1 hour ago, BerlinB said:

Thank you. I have another question. How does this work if my husband wants to take time off to look after the baby(he earns considerably more than me)?. If I qualify for 300 e/month, I'm assuming he would qualify for more - what happens if we take time off together? How does it work when there is such a big difference in earnings? Thanks

You would receive Elterngeld based on your earnings independent from him, and he would receive Elterngeld based on his earnings from the last twelve months, independent from you. 

58 minutes ago, BerlinB said:

Elterngeld amount has limit of minimum 300 and maximum of around 1800 euro per month. The final amount is based on around60%(I am not sure of exact number) of the person's averaged net monthly income of previous 12 months, provided its between the limit. Also its upto you to decided when you want to take Elternzeit and in which months. You can also take it together. The elterngeld amount is not affected if you take together or separately. 

There are also elterngeld plus, and reducing work hours during Elternzeit which has different calculation methods.

1 hour ago, BerlinB said:

I earn under £450 a month

You mean € 450?