Dog on the leash or not?

59 posts in this topic

Dogs certainly have a problem with certain people, often the ones who are scared of them. This is because they act "wrong" and the dog doesn't like this. Dogs are simple and know that there are certain rules and behaviour. Nervous people tend to act jumpy, loud and jerky, look away, turn or keep coming when challenged, all red flags. I had a friend who set the dogs off and never would listen to what I had to say. If the dog barks when you come to their house then stop and acknowledge them and wait for them to come to you, greet them in a friendly and calm but not too loud way by name while looking at them, offer your hand to smell if you know the dog or if you are being introduced and they are accompanied, wait a couple of seconds till they are satisfied. Automatic in the friend box. My daughter was very scared of dogs when she was small. I told her these rules and she is fine now and dogs find her well mannered in dog. 

1 hour ago, black1 said:

Dogs certainly have a problem with certain people, often the ones who are scared of them.

Sounds like dogs are just bullies at heart... and it's the people's fault. But thanks for the doggy advice. :)

2 hours ago, black1 said:

Dogs certainly have a problem with certain people

Yes, the problem is with their owners. It is perfectly possible to train dogs, it just takes time and effort: sadly, loads of owners can't be bothered (which makes me wonder why the hell they have dogs). It is correct that people who are afraid of dogs typically do all the wrong sorts of things - the swift/jerky movements, any sort of pathetic squeal sounds and waving hands (people who are scared of dogs love to lift their hands up in the air)...all things which attract dogs' attention. If you do any of those, then definitely try to find a friendly dog or situation where you can try to get over that habit without too much fear. However, as a dog owner, I also don't let my dog run up to strangers - that works too. Of course, we have been taking the dog to training lessons for years (in true German fashion our dog has various certificates). 

Nobody should ever have to confront an unleashed dog whether afraid or not. I hate having my crotch sniffed for one thing.

I don't mind my friends' dogs if they are well behaved.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I hate having my crotch sniffed for one thing.

Thanks so much much for the laugh. I really needed one today, Fraufruit.

8 hours ago, Narjiz said:

I am not talking about a park but the normal sidewalks on the streets.

This not allowed, no matter how well trained the dog is. Tell the owners to leash their dogs or you will report them to the Ordnungsamt. 

That's a good point @fraufruit.  I guess in part the problem really is that the city is not participating in enforcement.  If they would do some random patrols and hand out hefty fines then maybe these misbehaving dog owners would think twice about flouting the rules.  And right now I suspect resources are really stretched then with just trying to police the crazy Corona misbehavers.  ;)

4 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

And right now I suspect resources are really stretched then with just trying to police the crazy Corona misbehavers.

And before Corona???

:D

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Nobody should ever have to confront an unleashed dog whether afraid or not. I hate having my crotch sniffed for one thing.

I don't mind my friends' dogs if they are well behaved.

Don‘t you have a vulva? 😂 

I don‘t know much about the female anatomy but ...you made me laugh anyway!

( I am probably wrong and on the wrong thread!)

3 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

That's a good point @fraufruit.  I guess in part the problem really is that the city is not participating in enforcement.  If they would do some random patrols and hand out hefty fines then maybe these misbehaving dog owners would think twice about flouting the rules.  And right now I suspect resources are really stretched then with just trying to police the crazy Corona misbehavers.  ;)

Mannheim Ordnungsamt is very active about foot patrols and will check the dog's tag and ask if you have bags in your pocket. I always liked that.

44 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How do you report them to the Ordnungsamt when you don't know who they are?

Granted, that's difficult. Still, threatening with the Ordnungsamt could still be a deterrent. Additionally, actually calling the Ordnungsamt and reporting an unleashed dog in such and such a street at such and such a time (maybe even repeatedly) might move them to investigate the area. Dog owners usually take their dogs out at around the same time every day. 

1 hour ago, bramble said:

Granted, that's difficult. Still, threatening with the Ordnungsamt could still be a deterrent. Additionally, actually calling the Ordnungsamt and reporting an unleashed dog in such and such a street at such and such a time (maybe even repeatedly) might move them to investigate the area. Dog owners usually take their dogs out at around the same time every day. 

I remember our part of Hamburg. The dogs that were not really under control by their owners. We reckoned ( no proof but a gut feeling ) that they were the type of dog owners who didn‘t have compulsory dog owner liability insurance.

Contradiction? You would think they would be exactly the ones would have the insurance to be on the safe side! But no - don‘t care about the general public? Don‘t care about their responsibility and consequences!

Wanna bet?🙏🏻

When I was 6 a similarly aged friend was attacked by her own dog, who she pet since he was born. She got heavily scarred for life. 

A dangerous race dog will always be dangerous.

20 hours ago, optimista said:

Sounds like dogs are just bullies at heart... and it's the people's fault. But thanks for the doggy advice. :)

they are pack animals and naturally seek out their place in the hierarchy.

Cats are also group animals and they do this too.  Sometimes a cat is an "asshole" to humans and other cats, maybe it was badly socialized as a kitten, or maybe it is just an alpha cat that needs to be dominant and/or solitary.  Pets don't usually have a lot of choice about with whom they come in contact; humans decide that for them and beyond basic training and conditioning there is only so much you can do about an animal's general disposition toward other animals or human children and adults.  

6 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

...maybe it is just an alpha cat that needs to be dominant...

Have one. When you are horizontal on the sofa, and it's on the stairs looking down from on high, gets a beady look in its eye, and you know it is thinking you are likely prey. Sometimes attacks hubby in this position. He is not small. This is the same feline that brings furry cadavers as presents and throws itself supine at your feet, presenting a furry tummy for tickles. Which is just bait. If you go for it, so does she!

Surely your own cat is not an 'IT' Optimista? My dog and cat are both 'He'. Cats in Germany are always 'she', so that can't be the problem.