Dog on the leash or not?

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Acton said:

I think this is a ridiculous comment. Dogs love to run free when they can. You are clearly not a dog lover.

Of course dogs love to run free- that is not the question!   Control of an animal around people, safety of both dogs and people, and local by-laws and rules.

AS already noted, and often seen in court cases, owners are often not the best judge of how friendly and well trained their pooch is.

So, good that the OP is searching for leash free areas.

56 minutes ago, bennetn said:

Makes not a jot of difference to someone who is scared of dogs to what the dog loves to do.  Just let dogs run around where they want then?

If you're in a public place with the general public, no dog should be running free.

That's not what people are saying. There are designated areas where dogs can be let off the lead and this doesn't mean they can run wild. The owner still needs to maintain control and if they aren't friendly to other dogs or people then they remain on the lead even if they are in an area where they are allowed to be off the lead.

56 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

That's not what people are saying. There are designated areas where dogs can be let off the lead and this doesn't mean they can run wild. The owner still needs to maintain control and if they aren't friendly to other dogs or people then they remain on the lead even if they are in an area where they are allowed to be off the lead.

The OP was saying that it seems to be ok to let dogs off the lead in towns.

Unless it is a designated area then it is not ok.

I just hope if people do let their dogs off of the lead then they control their dogs a damn site better than a lot of people seem to control their kids.

7 hours ago, Keleth said:

Well yer mr fucking obvious.

But don`t let your dog off of a lead unless it`s in a specific area for it which is the main problem.

Thanks god there are municipalities which don´t require you to have your dog on a leash. That would take the fun out of being walked for my dogs. Where I used to live they didn´t have to be kept on a leash and in the neighbouring town only dogs above 50 cm shoulder height had to be .

2 hours ago, bennetn said:

Makes not a jot of difference to someone who is scared of dogs to what the dog loves to do.  Just let dogs run around where they want then?

If you're in a public place with the general public, no dog should be running free.

I strongly disagree. Refusing that to a dog amounts to animal cruelty in my book.

I fully agree. Birds fly, fish swim and dogs run. If they can't do this, they might as well be dead.

I am a dog lover. In an urban area of a country such as Germany and in a country full of sanctions if misdeeds occur eg a traffic accident regarding a dog- there have to be designated areas for leashed and unleashed dogs. Germany does that well. Such areas are available.

Dogs have to run and bless them! They need their freedom. We just have to accept a compromise.

There are certain humans, equally, who should be kept away from civilised areas. Thugs, yobs. Muggers. But that‘s another issue.

When we move back to Hamburg from Crete, we will definitely have to readjust. No such rules here. No rules at all. No designated areas. No signs. Plenty of puppies in rubbish bins and stuff whilst still alive... but that, again , is another issue.

Whatever, make sure, all dog owners in Germany- get dog owner liability insurance. In some parts of the country it is obligatory. In ALL parts of the country - it is essential.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

dogs run. If they can't do this, they might as well be dead.

says the Urban God....

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Thanks god there are municipalities which don´t require you to have your dog on a leash. That would take the fun out of being walked for my dogs. Where I used to live they didn´t have to be kept on a leash and in the neighbouring town only dogs above 50 cm shoulder height had to be .

How is it on Cyprus, jeba?

40 minutes ago, john g. said:

How is it on Cyprus, jeba?

To be honest, I´m not 100% sure. There used to be an official dog beach near to where I live but I heard it was closed due to coronavirus (which doesn´t make sense to me). There are also areas at the beach where there are signs that dogs aren´t allowed - which I think implies that it´s allowed elsewhere. I read in some internet forums though that dogs need to be on the leash but I don´t know whether that´s correct and if so in what municipalities. As I´m literally living in the middle of fields with visibility of hundreds of meters (so I can see if someone is approaching) I don´t care anyway. 98% of the time my dogs are unleashed as are most others. I only take them on the leash if there is an unknown dog crossing our path, but not for humans (in which they aren´t interested anyway).

The concept of pet liability insurance is alien - even to insurance companies. My German insurance is providing cover throughout the EU though.

Pet liability insurance is alien here as well, jeba. I have a German one covering the EU. Took it out on the ferry from Greece to Italy online because we had a rescue dog with us and before we were going to drive to Germany I got paranoid!😂

True! 
Responsibility re pets is not a great issue in Greek society. Run over a dog? Just leave it bleeding on the road. Why not? It is only a dog.

6 hours ago, john g. said:

Responsibility re pets is not a great issue in Greek society. Run over a dog? Just leave it bleeding on the road. Why not? It is only a dog

Not much different here, but slowly improving. E. g. last year government started paying for neutering stray dogs and cats (of which there are plenty).

16 hours ago, jeba said:

I strongly disagree. Refusing that to a dog amounts to animal cruelty in my book.

Great, no problem then don't have a dog under these conditions.  It's a choice you can make.

It all comes down to how well the dog can be controlled. If they are very obedient and well-trained, they can trot alongside the owner without a leash.  If they are boisterous and energetic, and easily distracted, not well-trained to voice commands, then a leash should be deployed.  You can always let such dogs off a leash in a dog park/run or the countryside, and they can get their energy out there.  

In Hessen, specifically designated, fenced off-leash hundewiesen also have a prohibition against other kinds of activities like allowing children to play or people without dogs using the area for sports or sunbathing.

Go. Read.  http://www.stadthunde.com/frankfurtammain/hundegesetz/kompletter-text.html 

In FFM, you also can't have a leash longer than 2 meters.

Of course, non-issues can be argued all day. For every idiot owner who says "Er macht nichts" there is an idiot parent who brings their toddler into a dog park so they can look at the phone because the child "will nur mit hunde spielen."

Idiots abound. Welcome to planet Earth. Betreten auf eigene Gefahr.

18 hours ago, catjones said:

says the Urban God...

18 hours ago, john g. said:

What‘s an Urban God, catjones?🙁

a decider of Life and Death.