US Army dependent in DE caught allying with neo-Nazis

36 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2020, 8:45:16, AlexTr said:

a group calling itself the Colorado Springs Anti-Fascists 

had ensnared Brewer into what’s known as a honeypot

and recorded members’ phone conversations with  Brewer

Brewer is currently based in Germany.

On 6/24/2020, 10:46:15, DoubleDTown said:

As to Colorado Springs Anti-Fascists recording the audio conversations with Brewer, that's legal in Colorado and Virginia.  But not in Germany.  I wonder if the calls originated from Brewer in Germany or from Colorado Springs Anti-Fascists in Colorado?  And if so how German law on recording might apply,

GDPR violation?  The EU wrote: "The GDPR only applies to organizations engaged in “professional or commercial activity.”   (I understand some Toytowners like links, check this for more info on how the EU thinks the GDPR applies outside the EU: https://gdpr.eu/companies-outside-of-europe/)

I suppose the Colorado group would contend it is non-commercial and thus exempt to GDPR requirements?   I'm not sure that is correct though, I think the EU means more that individuals are exempt when doing personal stuff and not that non-profit organizations are exempt from GDPR compliance. Has this been made clear in the last 2 years?  (I'm too entitled to research further and thus ask the community to assist me)

Anyone think a non-incorporated, non-commercial, U.S.-based group needs to comply with GDPR? 

I suspect it does if it is intentionally communicating with an EU resident.  But the EU's guidance expressly says GDPR "only applies to organizations engaged in “professional or commercial activity;” which I think muddles the applicability -- but I suspect after 2 years there's been some application to outside-EU nonprofits that would make the situation clear. 

It would be interesting if the Colorado group's efforts with regard to Brewer entangled it in a GDPR violation.  Probably not the kind of group the EU would bother chasing even if the GDPR applies, but it's academically interesting.

6 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

Probably not the kind of group the EU would bother chasing even if the GDPR applies,

Even if they did - how could they enforce anything in the US?

@DoubleDTown The reason that you are being laughed at is that 201 StGB has nothing to do with GDPR. I even gave you the link to it in English and you don't know.

If you acknowledge it, the laughter might stop.

Section 201
Violation of privacy of spoken word

(1) Whoever, without being authorised to do so,

1.  makes an audio recording of the privately spoken words of another or

2.  uses or makes a recording thus produced available to a third party

incurs a penalty of imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or a fine.

(2) Whoever, without being authorised to do so,

1.  uses a listening device to intercept the privately spoken words of another which they are not intended to hear or

2.  publicly communicates, verbatim or the essential content of, the privately spoken words of another which were recorded as per subsection (1) no. 1 or intercepted as per subsection (2) no. 1

incurs the same penalty. The act referred to in sentence 1 no. 2 only entails criminal liability if the public communication is suitable for interfering with the legitimate interests of another. It is not unlawful if the public communication was made for the purpose of safeguarding overriding public interests.

(3) Whoever, in the capacity as a public official or a person entrusted with special public service functions, violates the privacy of the spoken word (subsections (1) and (2)) incurs a penalty of imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or a fine.

(4) The attempt is punishable.

(5) The audio recording and listening devices which the offender or participant used may be confiscated. Section 74a applies.

And, as mentioned previously,  German law doesn't apply to actions taken in the US.

In case others haven't clicked through, here is a screenshot taken from a Reddit account, publicly posted, that is purported to belong to Andrew Brewer. Lovely person, isn't he?

andrew-brewer-nazi-fascist-patriot-front-andrewbrewer917.jpg

On 6/29/2020, 4:47:02, jeba said:

Even if they did - how could they enforce anything in the US?

1. mechanisms exist for such things, though they're pretty onerous

2. it might give individuals involved something to think about the next time they want to visit Germany, or the EU

On 6/29/2020, 6:56:56, AlexTr said:

@DoubleDTown 201 StGB has nothing to do with GDPR.

If you acknowledge it,

Yup, I acknowledge it.  Please forgive my error in not deleting the citation to StGB in my post of June 28, 08:15.  so, now that's out of the way I hope.  I'll repeat the substance of my question. 

Need a Colorado nonprofit group comply with EU/German prohibitions on unconsented recording?  Can they record conversations with German residents?   I'm thinking it could be a GDPR issue.

@DoubleDTown That sounds  like a thread you should open in Legal. 

This thread is about this alt-right doofus and his stupidity.

On 7/1/2020, 10:42:42, AlexTr said:

@DoubleDTown That sounds  like a thread you should open in Legal. 

This thread is about this alt-right doofus and his stupidity.

Ahh.  Now the world can understand why you don't wish to examine whether what the Colorado group did or not might be a problem for the Colorado group.  You wish to focus here on the Colorado group's target.  Verstanden.

AlexTr and his source citation about Brewer were early on this trend.  NYT now covering it too.

Colleges Rescinding Admissions Offers as Racist Social Media Posts Emerge

Amid a national accounting over racism after George Floyd’s death, at least a dozen schools have revoked admissions offers to incoming students.

A star high school athlete recruited to play football for Cornell University will no longer be attending the school after a Snapchat video of him using a racial slur went viral.

Marquette University revoked an incoming freshman’s admission offer because of a Snapchat post mocking the death of George Floyd.

And an honors student bound for the University of Florida now has to make other college plans after the university learned of an Instagram post in which the student declared she was “most definitely” a racist.

etc...  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/us/racism-social-media-college-admissions.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

@DoubleDTownI see you misread. This thread is about Andrew Brewer, his neo-nazism, and the lack of parental oversight that has allowed him to develop such deviant thoughts, hobbies, and associations.  

Your question is a legal one that is not about Andrew Brewer's neo-nazism or his parents' lack of active oversight.

Open the thread you want in legal and don't derail this one. If I have time, I'll participate. 

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

@DoubleDTownI

Your question is a legal one that is not about Andrew Brewer's neo-nazism or his parents' lack 9f active oversight.

Yipes.  I can "not let it go" with the best of them myself.  My question was directly responsive to issues raised in the original post about the activity used by Colorado antifa to expose Brewer.  

3 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

Yipes.  I can "not let it go" with the best of them myself.  My question was directly responsive to issues raised in the original post about the activity used by Colorado antifa to expose Brewer.  

When someone tosses a grenade into a room, it is not common practice for the occupants of the room to engage in a debate over who pulled the pin, which is what you seem intent on doing.  Andrew Brewer is that grenade and someone other than the Colorado Springs Anti-Facists (CSAF) organization pulled his pin years ago.  All the CSFA did was yell "Grenade!".  Perhaps, as Alex suggested, it will be better if you start another thread dedicated to the finer points of pin pulling and legal issues of undercover operations designed to expose antisocial behavior rather than continue to derail the original topic.

I read the everything the CSFA made public about Mr. Brewer, and I think the release of the information was at the end of a lengthy process of interviews and data gathering.  I also think Mr. Brewer is not the only fish in the CSFA net, but his association with the U.S. Forces and potential to be an officer in the U.S. military makes him a valid target.  The archived links to his now inactive Facebook page still have active links within them; however, a member of the privileged class might never realize this because the information was not spoon-fed.

In one of the interviews, Mr. Brewer stated he had been in Germany for eight years.  It's possible he is a dependent of a DoD civilian or contractor.  Initially, one of my concerns was the impact this would have on his parents and their future in Germany.  However, since it appears he has been involved in these special activities for several years, I am curious about how far from the tree that apple has rolled.

One last comment about the spoon-fed privileged class.  Decades ago, when I was seven or eight, I asked my Dad why the sky was blue, as well as a lot of other questions important to me at the time.  I later learned that my Dad didn't know, but he did something besides say "Because", or as my cousin's Dad told her "Because God made it blue."  Instead, my Dad stopped what he was doing, which I'm sure was important to him, and asked me to bring the "A" and "L" volumes of the mostly unused encyclopedia at the dusty bottom of the book shelf.  I had no idea why he asked for that instead of answering my question.  We spent the next two hours reading through material that I didn't understand at the time, but it started with "light spectrum", then went to "atmosphere", and then off on several tangents on more topics that made my brain explode.  Although I don't remember if my question was answered at the time, what my Dad gave me, and the rest of my siblings, was the gift of being able to search for myself and not rely solely on others for the truth.  For future questions, when I was stumped on where to begin, he would give me a clue about where to start, and then left the rest to me.  Eventually, I didn't need the clue, but we did need an new encyclopedia set.  Apparently, we had different Dads.

56 minutes ago, JG52 said:

When someone tosses a grenade into a room, it is not common practice for the occupants of the room to engage in a debate over who pulled the pin, which is what you seem intent on doing. 

One last comment about the spoon-fed privileged class.  my Dad stopped what he was doing, which I'm sure was important to him, and made my brain explode.  Apparently, we had different Dads.

Yipes. You're not even AlexTr and you can't let it go. 

I'd analogize it more along the lines of I was interested in whether the guy that video taped the grenade throwing might get in trouble for taping

I even tried to help the topic along with the added info from the NYT...   But here we are, clogging up the thread again...