Rules around placing trash bins on sidewalk overnight or for several days

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the official regulation on whether garbage bins can be set outside on the sidewalk overnight or for multiple days before pick up?  Normally, i've noticed that shortly before BSR picks up a bin, they move them from the hof (typically 30 mins before pickup) and then return to the hof after dumping in the truck.  This is really minimal disruption. But we have a local business that sets their trash in a mülltonne outside, on the sidewalk in front of our window the night before pick up. Sometimes it stays there for several days until it is finally picked up. This causes a lot of flies in our windows and sometimes trash on the grond.  I've contacted the Orgnungsamt (they were no help) and the BSR (no reply yet). 

I'd be happy to know if anyone has the official rules on garbage bins on the sidewalk and what to do when this happens.

thank you

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Cupcakes might help. 

Wouldn´t they attract even more flies?:lol:

45 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Have you asked the people who are doing it? Cupcakes might help. :rolleyes:

Asking them to clean the rim and lid, and make sure it is properly closed would not be unreasonable.  That would cut the fly problem right down.

21 hours ago, sarahbgosh said:

Sometimes it stays there for several days until it is finally picked up.

If they would stop doing this, there would be no problem.

Taking the garbage outside the night before the pickup and then taking the empty bin inside the next night it is totally normal.   And the truck not coming here and there and coming the next day is normal too.  

What do you expect?  That people camp outside waiting for the truck to come and then run to take it out?  

43 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Taking the garbage outside the night before the pickup and then taking the empty bin inside the next night it is totally normal.   And the truck not coming here and there and coming the next day is normal too. 

Not where I used to live but it depends on the municipality. E. g. in Würzburg the city had workers taking the bins out a few minutes before they were emptied and putting them back thereafter - at least when I was still living there.

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

Not where I used to live but it depends on the municipality. E. g. in Würzburg the city had workers taking the bins out a few minutes before they were emptied and putting them back thereafter - at least when I was still living there.

That's only when you live in an apartment.   

And of course we are talking about BERLIN.  Because this is LIFE IN BERLIN, the OP lives in BERLIN and I live in BERLIN.

I moved away in 1997 but it still was like that maybe 5 years ago as my cousin´s daughter who used to live in the same same flat I had lived in told me that some tenant had locked the gate in the morning so the binmen couldn´t take out the bins.