Personalausweis for BVG e-tickets

11 posts in this topic

I've looked around for info about this on TT but most discussions about ID cards for non-Germans are centred around the need (perceived or otherwise) to show Personalausweis to the police.

I was wondering if anyone knew about the situation with regard to public transport ticket checks? I downloaded the BVG ticketing app and would dearly love to purchase tickets on my phone so I don't have to remember to validate paper tokens. The problem however is that e-tickets are "only valid  in conjunction with an official identity card".

An email exchange with a friendly BVG rep confirmed that my only options were a driver's licence (which I don't have of course, preferring public transport) or a passport, which I'd rather not take with me every time I want to catch a train.

According to the rep, it's the VBB (Verkehrsverbund Berlin Brandenburg) who makes the rules and not the BVG. She says that copies of passports are not allowed, and I'm guessing my Krankenversicherung card isn't either (even though it's photo ID).

I'd rather not risk an argument with those nice ticket controllers until I'm sure where I stand. Any ideas or advice much appreciated.

Do you have an ID card / driver license from your home country?

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

Do you have an ID card / driver license from your home country?

I'm a dual UK/Australian citizen. Don't have anything except passport from the semi-EU UK, but I do have a driver's licence from non-EU Australia.

It's got an Oz address of course...

1 minute ago, bauman said:

I'm a dual UK/Australian citizen. Don't have anything except passport from the semi-EU UK, but I do have a driver's licence from non-EU Australia.

It's got an Oz address of course...

Worth asking whether that would be accepted.

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't thought of it. My feeling though is that I'll end up carrying a bunch of documents with me in the hope that they'll collectively satisfy the requirements, or at the least they'll seem like too much trouble for the controller to follow up on.

Either way, it's a bugger there's not a simple plastic, card-sized solution - or an electronic one, seeing as how I'm presenting my phone as proof of validity.

If you are now resident here, maybe time to get a German Driving licence? Not sure if you can just swap your Aussie one?

9 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

If you are now resident here, maybe time to get a German Driving licence? Not sure if you can just swap your Aussie one?

Well... I don't really want to buy or drive a car here. I had a gut-full of parking fines, traffic queues and repair bills in Australia. Bicycle and train is good enough for me in Berlin.

Using an Aussie driving license to get a German one so that I can take public transport is an interesting idea though. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it.

I’ve been buying my tickets with the app for years now and have never been asked to show ID when tickets are being checked. They simply scan the QR code to make sure it’s a real ticket, and that’s it. I wouldn’t worry about it.

5 hours ago, Santitas said:

I’ve been buying my tickets with the app for years now and have never been asked to show ID when tickets are being checked. They simply scan the QR code to make sure it’s a real ticket, and that’s it. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thanks Santitas, that's what I've been waiting to hear. I'll take a copy of the passport just in case and check out the driver's license situation. The license seems like it could be a good all-purpose surrogate ID card.

BTW in some places, including the BVG,  "amtliches Lichtbildausweis" includes German driving licence.  Not everywhere else though, it has be a passport or card equivalent.  Including Deutsche Bahn.  However, they do not always ask for it.  But could be problematic with a ticket inspector having a bad day.

11 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

BTW in some places, including the BVG,  "amtliches Lichtbildausweis" includes German driving licence.  Not everywhere else though, it has be a passport or card equivalent.  Including Deutsche Bahn.  However, they do not always ask for it.  But could be problematic with a ticket inspector having a bad day.

The distinction between BVG and DB seems an important one to keep in mind. Thanks.

I don't think there's any protection against a ticket inspector having a bad day however... ^_^