Where to exchange Euros to Czech Koruna?

9 posts in this topic

We want to have a short trip to Prague, and I wonder where to get Czech money with a good exchange rate?

I take my credit card and EC Karte with myself, but I may need to pay in cash in some places, also using a credit card or ATM may have exchange rates or extra charges as well.

Should I go to my bank here in Germany or try local exchange places in Czech or any better option to go for?

The best exchange rates are normally when using an ATM in the local country i.e. in Prague. For getting cash probably either the German bank or somewhere in Prague will be pretty much the same.

FYI - if you want a credit card without any extra charges for foreign currency then check out the Santander 1 Plus visa - https://www.santander.de/privatkunden/konten-karten/karten/1plus-visa/

I have one of these and use it whenever I am in non-Euro countries to withdraw cash or pay for goods and there 0% charges for non-EU currency.

6 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

The best exchange rates are normally when using an ATM in the local country i.e. in Prague. For getting cash probably either the German bank or somewhere in Prague will be pretty much the same.

FYI - if you want a credit card without any extra charges for foreign currency then check out the Santander 1 Plus visa - https://www.santander.de/privatkunden/konten-karten/karten/1plus-visa/

I have one of these and use it whenever I am in non-Euro countries to withdraw cash or pay for goods and there 0% charges for non-EU currency.

I have gebührenfei credit card which charges 0% for cash withdrawals in non-Euro countries, but then it applies daily interest rate to it. 

https://www.gebuhrenfrei.com/Home/

Also, my experience with using my sparkasse EC-karte in an ATM abroad was that I was also charged by a fixed service fee for each separate cash withdrawl.

I suggest you make sure to not have more cash than you actually spend. You´ll lose almost 30% when changing Czech korouna back into Euros.

You can pay in euros in most of Czech republic.

I lived 40 km from Czech border and never bothered buying korunas. Credit card + euros in cash did the job.

I travel on business often...at least before covid19 - and an IT expert relative of mine recommended Revolut to me, which I find really excellent for trips to countries with differing currencies.

I'm not going to sell this to you any more than to say I am very happy with this app-only multi-currency giro account, which is useful also at home as a normal giro account on account of its good safety record.

Have a look for yourself - if you are interested, and up for being recommended, send me a private message - I think both parties can get 15 Euros out of it...

added edit: the currency exchange rate is the inter-bank rate, which is the best available as far as I know

I think you can pay with Yen in Prague, and Euro most other larger places. 

Stay on your guard, Prague is one of the worst place for pickpockets and tourist scams. Always order from a menu with prices. If you ask for the special written on the chalk board and they say, 'we are out of that, but we will bring you something similar', you will be stuck with a huge bill. 

I am going to miss lunches in Marienbad this summer :{

Caffrey's Irish Bar on Prague Old Town Square always did good exchange  rates, just don't go too early in the day