Noise levels

20 posts in this topic

Hi we live in a rural village not far from the coast and surrounded by farms. We bought our house with empty land next door apart from a derelict house.

This has been turned into a sort of farm vehicle park for the village. Farmers drive up about 5 am, take the tractors and return any time between midnight and 2 am. There is car banging, the noise of the vehicles and shouting as the farmers meet up.

I'm exhausted, I need some sleep is there anything we can do about it or must I put up with it as part of village life. Right now I feel like throwing myself under one of those blinking tractors. I can't sleep in the day as it carries on all day, sundays and bank holidays!

If it is normal noise levels, talking, car doors closing etc. this will be allowed. Noise to do with agriculture may also be permitted. It will depend on local rules and what the use of the land has been designated as. 

In the meantime do you already have good windows? We replaced a door last year and we noticed a slight drop in noise. We are soon replacing two windows on the same facade, so we expect the noise level from that side to drop further.

Do you use earplugs at night? 

Even on Sundays it may be permitted for farmers to work on their land. I've seen this in our region.

When I lived at a noisy place I had noise protection windows installed (Schallschutzklasse 4; 5 is the highest). That helped.

At 2 am this morning 2 farmers where shouting at each other across the street waking up us and the people over the road,  arguments in the early hours are the norm. Revving engines,  door banging.

The construction of this huge garage has been halted because it's going to be an extension of this derelict house. The house started falling down and the stadt stopped the building work until the house is repaired.  ( local laws to do with old buildings).

We have good double glazing but I'm at an age where I keep getting very hot and need windows open.

During the day we have to shut all windows and doors to hear each other speak

4 minutes ago, Henribear said:

We have good double glazing but I'm at an age where I keep getting very hot and need windows open.

Can you not air the bedroom before you go to sleep? Would air-conditioning be an option?

Clearly the open windows at night are not good at all in this situation. 

Just now, lunaCH said:

Can you not air the bedroom before you go to sleep?

Would air-conditioning be an option?

Clearly open windows at night is not good at all in this situation. 

Ive been known to stand outside in minus 20. I do air my room all day

26 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Who owns the property?

I'm not sure but it used to belong to the guy who sold us this house

Just now, Henribear said:

I'm not sure but it used to belong to the guy who sold us this house

If you are still in touch with your predecessor, then you could ask him who he sold it to.

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

If you are still in touch with your predecessor, then you could ask him who he sold it to.

Yes when hes sober

1 minute ago, Henribear said:

Yes when hes sober

Lovely. At least you know what he's spending the money he made from the sales on. ;)

This farm vehicle park is in the heart of our village,  the vehicles come from farms of surrounding villages and the farms on the outskirts of our village. On a really bad night they are queued on the road each way, beebing their horns and shouting. We think that as it's in a residential area it can not be right. We are going to the village elder

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

Lovely. At least you know what he's spending the money he made from the sales on. ;)

He sold all his land and houses because he drank himself into a million euro worth of debt. He didn't actually get the money from the sales, the bank took it all

We think that as it's in a residential area it can not be right. We are going to the village elder

But is the plot actually legally designated as residential? The area could be agricultural, industrial, residential or a mixture.

Just now, lunaCH said:

But is the plot actually legally designated as residential? The area could be agricultural, industrial, residential or a mixture.

We need to find out, it was residential,  we need to do some research 

We need to find out, it was residential,  we need to do some research 

You should be able to see some information online. Start from the Gemeinde's website.

Sure you can ask but if it's a farming community and everybody is doing it, it's likely that authorities of that village will not help much.  I would hate this situation too.  I think you have two options, sell the house to somebody who is hard of hearing or sound proof the shit out of it and get a/c.  

52 minutes ago, Henribear said:

At 2 am this morning 2 farmers where shouting at each other across the street waking up us and the people over the road,  arguments in the early hours are the norm. Revving engines,  door banging.

The construction of this huge garage has been halted because it's going to be an extension of this derelict house. The house started falling down and the stadt stopped the building work until the house is repaired.  ( local laws to do with old buildings).

During the day we have to shut all windows and doors to hear each other speak

If the "people over the road"(neighbours?) are waking up as well, maybe you can talk to them to find out whether they are disturbed and feeling the same way you do? If yes then you can make a case together when talking to the "village a elders" (mayor?). Then its not just you.

I can promise you that the noise levels will be higher the next months, harvest is beginning.

If you try to do something against the farmers I think you risk that someday your car will be buried under manure.