Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Freelancer Mum to Be & elterngeld

6 posts in this topic

Hello dear community,

my partner is a freelancer in the food industry, mum-to-be expecting in November. For the last 3 months she's been working as a freelancer (recipe developer) on a full time basis with an English company (UK freelancing contract). She has today been told they will reduce her hours from July... and between the lines that they will stop providing work in the near future.

As being 5 months pregnant, her chances for a company to hired her in the short term is close to null. And as her field is event/food related, even the one-off event/dinner opportunities are off grid because of Covid and the potential risk for her health.

It is quite a blow for us, as I was planing on taking the elterzeit as the father (I have a full time job with a German company, would have my job secured during the paternity leave etc...) and she would have been able to continue working as a freelancer. Now the situation has completely changed: I will be keeping my full time work and she will look at taking maternity leave.

This situation raises questions. For instance, the allowance for elterngeld is defined on the basis of the last 3 months salary, as far as I can read. By November, her last 3 salaries will prob be down to 0. Is there anyway she could ask to be based on the 3 months when she was working full time?

Second thing: we both wish to work full time. She will be starting looking at getting a full time job back as soon as possible, most probably when baby is allowed to go to Kita. Problem now is from 2 full time workers and the expectation of a "ganztags" voucher (so a 7 to 9h a day), we are scared that we won't get the full day care amount of hours anymore. She is a "full time" freelancer (even though by nature freelance work comes and goes), but is that enough to say it, or would they be looking at past work experiences to see how many hours she was working. Because suddenly it will look like she wasn't working much before the baby was born, and getting a half day voucher will be very critical financially if that prevents her from trying to get back into full time freelancer contracts.

Any experiences with this? Freelancers: how did you manage your elterngeld and your kita voucher hours?

Thank you for your time and help.

8 minutes ago, flaviodev said:

This situation raises questions. For instance, the allowance for elterngeld is defined on the basis of the last 3 months salary, as far as I can read.

No, for employees it is the previous 12 months. For self-employed persons it is usually the previous calendar year (she should probably file her German tax return for 2019 ASAP).

13 minutes ago, engelchen said:

No, for employees it is the previous 12 months. For self-employed persons it is usually the previous calendar year (she should probably file her German tax return for 2019 ASAP).

Thank you @engelchen for your answer. She has filled up her 2019 tax return but it's not a lot of money... she probably made more in the last 4 months than last year altogether... I guess one way or the other, if it is based on a 12months basis and not on a 3 months basis then she will be on minimum. Would she be exempt from paying TK during the time she will be relying on elterngeld only (in the case she does no work at all)?

On 6/15/2020, 5:02:26, flaviodev said:

Second thing: we both wish to work full time. She will be starting looking at getting a full time job back as soon as possible, most probably when baby is allowed to go to Kita. Problem now is from 2 full time workers and the expectation of a "ganztags" voucher (so a 7 to 9h a day), we are scared that we won't get the full day care amount of hours anymore. She is a "full time" freelancer (even though by nature freelance work comes and goes), but is that enough to say it, or would they be looking at past work experiences to see how many hours she was working. Because suddenly it will look like she wasn't working much before the baby was born, and getting a half day voucher will be very critical financially if that prevents her from trying to get back into full time freelancer contracts.

If anyone has experience regarding vouchers for freelancing professionals, I would be very interested in knowing the outcome?

Thank you very much!

On 15/06/2020, 17:31:01, flaviodev said:

She has filled up her 2019 tax return but it's not a lot of money... she probably made more in the last 4 months than last year altogether... I guess one way or the other, if it is based on a 12months basis and not on a 3 months basis then she will be on minimum.

Since the minimum is 300€/month. It might then be better for you to take the Elterngeld. She can also try to convince them to use a different timeframe, but she'll need valid arguments. 

12 hours ago, flaviodev said:

If anyone has experience regarding vouchers for freelancing professionals, I would be very interested in knowing the outcome?

Other people's experiences are not an indication of your eligibility. The problem in Berlin is that there are not enough places to go around and even if you get the hours approved, there is no guarantee that you'll get a childcare place.

On 17/06/2020, 08:36:59, engelchen said:

Since the minimum is 300€/month. It might then be better for you to take the Elterngeld

Hey @engelchen thanks again for your response. Well we'll think about it but really, as she doesn't have any work right now I kinda have to be working full time. Even if I have the maximum elterngeld (1800e) it will be very hard for rent + 2 people and a baby... Maybe you suggest that so it frees her time to find a job (which in these days seem quite complicated unfortunately)?

On 17/06/2020, 08:36:59, engelchen said:

The problem in Berlin is that there are not enough places to go around and even if you get the hours approved, there is no guarantee that you'll get a childcare place.

yes we are realising this and we are quite worried we don't find a space... we've been around places and it's very scatty. From "not before baby is born but no space before 2022" to "we can out you on waiting list now and we will contact you in 18months if there is space", it's very complicated. We'll get there I hope =D