Buying an apartment without seeing it - Berlin

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

I haven't heard of decades but it can easily take over a year.  I don't know what the record is.  The tenant has to owe at least 2 months afaik in order to give them their notice.  Right now, because of covid, you can not give your tenants notice for owing April, May or June rent and this may even be extended.  Once you can legally give them notice and they don't leave, you can take them to court.  Even if they don't defend themselves, it can take several months to get the approval of eviction.  If they do defend themselves which they can with all sorts of reasons like illness, disability, not having been able to find another suitable apartment etc. etc. it can take even longer.  Once you do get the eviction approved, you have to hire a court bailiff to take care of it.  The bailiff will usually give them another 3-4 weeks to pack up and leave.  You get the apartment back eventually, sometimes full of garbage or damaged.  I saw a segment on TV about mietnomaden a few years ago and they talked to one landlord who had at this happen with 3 tenants, one after the other.  

Thank you very much for putting the process here. I will put in more time on this...  

One more thing which we feel odd here is.. wouldn't a Makler/seller first reach out to the tenants before trying to put out ad for the apartment ? i remember reading somewhere that they need to be informed first about the price and everything giving them an option to buy it before posting it publicly... 

Thank you very much everyone... i can now see that this is not usually done this way in Germany.. I will post an update soon on the progress...

4 hours ago, Rica aciR said:

One more thing which we feel odd here is.. wouldn't a Makler/seller first reach out to the tenants before trying to put out ad for the apartment ? i remember reading somewhere that they need to be informed first about the price and everything giving them an option to buy it before posting it publicly... 

Only if it is a building of rental apartments that is being broken up and sold in individual units as condos.  In that case, the tenant has an opportunity to buy and if he doesn't buy, there is also a rule that the new owner can not give him notice for 3 years. 

If this is not the case, the tenant doesn't need to be informed although he will find out as in this case when the landlord / real estate agent want to show the apartment.  I find it hard to believe that they have no way to reach him.  

7 hours ago, Rica aciR said:

We have the lease agreement, but his details have been blackened for privacy reasons

Is the tenant's name not on the doorbell and/or letterbox? Is this name in the phone book?

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Depends on how old the lease is and if all of that info is current.

Buying a property unseen is, I'm sorry, insane. Depending on an agent to be forthcoming with the truth is equally insane.

We did, BUT, we had already seen the same unit in another building so we knew what it looked like and it was owned by the same company. Generally I don't advise that.

On 14.6.2020, 14:25:47, Rica aciR said:

2. Will the bank approve a loan if we have not seen the apartment ? 

Our bank actually made a separate appointment the the realtor for one of the houses we were looking at to do their own assesment. 

Funny enought, they didn't do it for the one we ended up buying. Maybe because the other one was roughly 50 years older. 

As many others have already said: Walk away! I would. 

Not being able to view it is the main thing. But also the lower price. From what I understand, Corona did not have much of an effect on the German real estate market. Nothing much happened in April and May but that didn't lead to sellers lowering their prices. They'd rather wait than sell cheaply. 

Do you want to / have to buy urgently? 

You could also ask the Makler why the price is so low. He might not answer honestly, but his answer might be interesting. 

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!