Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Heirloom Seeds & Plants

8 posts in this topic

I am growing a bunch of plants from seed and prefer to use heirloom seeds when I can.  I prefer the "different" varieties.  I found Magic Garden Seeds and am quite happy with them.  I am wondering what other companies in Germany sell heirloom seeds, or even what the heck to call them in German?  Hubby is not much help in translating this one.  I am especially hoping to find a German company that offers some starter heirloom plants.  I messed up our tomatoes and peppers from seed.

Meanwhile, our older neighbor next door surprised us by planting four herbs in our garden.  It was meant as a gift, but was rather invasive and could have messed up the planting plan I have for the various plots. (She does not understand why I grow from seeds and not buy the standard seedlings from the gardening shop, nor the way I lay everything out.  She means well, but needs to ease up a bit.) So I am trying to fill up the plot to prevent that happening again, while gently asking her not to do that again.  This first year is a trial period to see how various vegetables grow and my skill level.  So the more options the better. :-)

Thanks for any information on shops.

Try googling Erbstück Samen and Erbstück Pflanzen. Amazon.de seeds...

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=Erbstück+Samen&i=outdoor&__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Can't seem to see plants for sale online.  In our area I often see ads for gardeners and allotment owners to trade plants. Try looking on your local eBay Kleinanzeigen and post a free wanted ad. And, join a Verein or Facebook group in your area.  

Good luck

I can recommend Vern e.V. for seeds. Vern is an association run by volunteers trying to save/bring pack alte Sorten. They also have some plants in the spring, but I don't know whether they send plants by mail.

I have several tomatillo plants (no, not tomatoes, look it up) raised from heirloom seeds to give away.

Edit: Only pickup in Munich area.

21 minutes ago, Metall said:

I have several tomatillo plants (no, not tomatoes, look it up) raised from heirloom seeds to give away.

Oh! I would be happy to take one or two off your hands! How do they grow in Germany? (I mean, how well?)

I'm in the Munich area. ;)

And they grow very well, you just have start them inside in January or Frbruary. Mine bore fruit last year!

Thanks!  I will check out the sites you guys mentioned.  The tomatillos sound cool, but I'm out by Pforzheim. :-)

4 hours ago, Metall said:

I'm in the Munich area. ;)

And they grow very well, you just have start them inside in January or Frbruary. Mine bore fruit last year!

Cool. I'll send you a PM later!