Apartment rental issues

15 posts in this topic

Hello all

the landlord email today saying that the building administration went in my flat to check the water meter and told me  bathroom was not clean well bla bla 

he want terminate the contract based on that , more like he want rent for a high price 

I am here for over 5 years thinking of  joining  the local house association for advice 

not sure if the why the  building administration enter my flat without me in it and  maybe is just the landlord making up things

can he termindate the contract based on that is a ongoing contract with 3 months notice.

thanks for ny inputs 

Hello,

they did all the other times before but this time that the landlord is talking about nope

He can not enter your apartment without your permission.  You can file a police report about that.  You are in your full right to change the cylinder in your door lock so that he can't get in.  You can keep the old cylinder and change it back when you move.

If he wants to give you notice, he needs to give you 6 months because you have been there for over 5 years and he needs to have a good reason.  Bathroom not very clean doesn't sound like a very good reason to me.  Join the mieterverein.

You should have joined the local Mietverein years ago! Often they cannot help with ongoing problems!

Having said that, if your bathroom wasn`t clean and tidy when the landlord entered the flat, who cares? Such things are purely cosmetic , and as long as everything can be cleaned up for the handover of the flat (whenever that will be), it really doesn´t matter!

A landlord can enter a flat in certain circumstances, but this does not seem to have been one of them, so your next move should be to make a police report.

1 hour ago, The King said:

Hello,

they did all the other times before but this time that the landlord is talking about nope

File a police report against him and tell him to go screw himself.

he said he did not enter... the water meter people did and told him the bathroom was not clean 

my local tenants association said on their webpage that can help from the moment  of signing up 

he now wants to visit before the end of the month to see what need to be clean in the bathroom and has to be done my me or a cleaning company or he end the lease contract 

thanks for the replies hope I can work out with him if he end the contract will take up with the tenants association  for support

Don t think of joining the Meitverehin. Join it. It costs less than a 100 euros, and this kind of a problem will be solved by a letter from them. And, no, don t wait for him to end the contract. If he does, the dispute began before you joined and they cannot help you. Join now. You don t need to ask them to intervene, but it will really help you in the future.

2 hours ago, The King said:

he said he did not enter... the water meter people did and told him the bathroom was not clean 

I am sure he entered.  Do you think he stood outside the door and waited for them?  Anyway, he's not allowed to let them in either without your permission and you can still report to police if you feel like it but in any case, you should change the cylinders so this doesn't happen again and you should join the mieterverein.  

10 hours ago, LeonG said:

You are in your full right to change the cylinder in your door lock so that he can't get in.

This is the first thing to do when you take over any property whether as a tenant or as an owner as you simply don't know who has keys to the doors. I don't understand why people don't do this. Any number of previous tenants or owners could have copies and said copies may have fallen into the wrong hands somewhere down the line. 

If anything is stolen an insurance will likely not pay out as there would be no sign of a break-in. :rolleyes: You could return home to an empty flat one day - and there'd be very little you could do about it.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Any number of previous tenants or owners could have copies and said copies may have fallen into the wrong hands somewhere down the line.

And don't forget their friends and/or neighbours and/or family, grown kids etc. they might have trusted with an extra key.  There could be 20 keys going around.  Your neighbour that you don't like could have been friends with a former tenant / owner and might have a spare key to your place.

Nobody can get into your flat without your permission. Simple as that.

The water company, landlord, the Pope, nobody.

Just go to the police and report him immediately for accessing or facilitating other people's access to your flat.

11 hours ago, travelerworker said:

Nobody can get into your flat without your permission.

Evidently though, if they have a key they can. But if they do enter using a key, they may be committing a criminal offence.

Well I have went to the Tenants association and sign up 

now I need an interpreter as the meeting is in German 

What the landlord say is that  Building Administration few months ago when was in the flat  to check the  water meter told him the bathroom was not  clean something is those lines .

I think he just want me out do he can rent to someone else for more money as I am here since 2016 

anyway if anyone knows a German English Speaking in Trier can help me out on the  Meitverehin please let me know 

Many thanks  

Yes, the King, that is his idea. I am facing a similar situation, and that s why I advised you. You can go with a German-speaking friend, or if you are a recent immigrant/refugee then there are associations to help you. You can also contact the local Antifa organization as they are very helpful in matters like this.