Huge rent bill after three years of letters from Meiterverehin were ignored by landlord

92 posts in this topic

The guy, a multi-millionaire who owns several apartment complexes and is notorious for pushing long term tenants out, wants to talk. What should I do? I can t move out as I lost my job during COVID and I can t find a new place. 

From what you have said, this is with a lawyer.

I'd suggest checking with them to see if it is worth, wise or dangerous (legally) to meet the landlord. 

Don't worry first of all. You'll get a few letters and you should always reply to them. My landlord tried to take me to court because of Eigenbedarf and I and him I think found out that he can't kick me out until 2027!!!!

It takes a while so you shouldn't be homeless in the near future. 

Good luck. 

12 minutes ago, McDee said:

I and him I think found out that he can't kick me out until 2027

Where was this and what was the reason for such a long delay?

13 minutes ago, McDee said:

Don't worry first of all. You'll get a few letters and you should always reply to them. My landlord tried to take me to court because of Eigenbedarf and I and him I think found out that he can't kick me out until 2027!!!!

It takes a while so you shouldn't be homeless in the near future. 

Good luck. 

My neighbour looked into this type of thing as a hypothetical and found that if a rental house goes private that it takes 10 years before you can kick someone out for Eigenbedarf. 

11 minutes ago, black1 said:

My neighbour looked into this type of thing as a hypothetical and found that if a rental house goes private that it takes 10 years before you can kick someone out for Eigenbedarf

But only in some locations. ;)

|It s too late for that. He sued me because he says that he renovated, but I can prove objectively that the place is far worse than it was before. It looks more like a building site. 

21 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Where was this and what was the reason for such a long delay?

He bought the place last year and in the contract it apparently states he can't kick me out for the next 8 years. Nice one. NRW.

1 hour ago, McDee said:

He bought the place last year and in the contract it apparently states he can't kick me out for the next 8 years. Nice one. NRW.

Lovely. Did he forget to read the contract before signing it? :)

On 16/09/2020, 15:28:48, solomongrundy said:

|It s too late for that. He sued me because he says that he renovated, but I can prove objectively that the place is far worse than it was before. It looks more like a building site. 

Do you have pictures that prove that? Just in case the landlord suddenly decides to blame you for the poor conditions of the flat.

Anyway, you have a lawyer now so use him. Don't talk to the landlord, let the lawyer do so. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Jean Genie said:

Do you have pictures that prove that? Just in case the landlord suddenly decides to blame you for the poor conditions of the flat.

Anyway, you have a lawyer now so use him. Don't talk to the landlord, let the lawyer do so. Fingers crossed!

Yes, extensive. Thanks so much for your encouragement