Food Truck - Hamburg

16 posts in this topic

Hallo All, 

I am planning to start a food truck in Hamburg. 

I found this checklist to follow 

https://gruenderdeutsch.de/unternehmen-gruenden/food-truck-eroeffnen-genehmigungen/?mauticMessage=Den%20Link%20zum%20PDF%20findest%20du%20jetzt%20in%20deinem%20EMail-Eingang

I would like to know where could I park the food truck and start serving in public areas. 

Is there any location where I can apply for a permit to operate in public parking spaces. 

I have seen Ice cream trucks near Stadpark Hamburg. Something like that. 

Someone with inputs please advise. 

Cuisine will be Sandwiches, Snacks - Something like Kleine Imbiss 

The idea is to use the food truck to provide snacks to students, office goers, so I would like to operate somewhere near offices, universities 

Please feel free to advise, correct me as I am totally new but want to do something different. 

-thads

On 07/06/2020, 17:45:35, McDee said:

Contact the Stadt.

can u give me the exact German authority to contact. Stadt is general. 

You go to the Stadtverwaltung and then take it from there. As I understand you correctly, you want to stay somewhere public more permanently, but food trucks in general move around a lot visiting events, festivals and street parades isn't it? They apply for permits constantly. 

When I go to a food truck, it's because they offer something special, e.g. a ciabatta bread with Spanferkel meat or a special burger. What will be your USP: unique selling point? A normal sandwhich you can get at any German bakery.

A quick Google gave me this overview of the first 9 documents you'll need ( and which Amt is responsible)

https://www.arag.de/auf-ins-leben/selbststaendigkeit/food-truck-genehmigungen-und-vorschriften/?cookieSetting=true

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.arag.de%2Fauf-ins-leben%2Fselbststaendigkeit%2Ffood-truck-genehmigungen-und-vorschriften%2F

G-Translate makes it look like this, but you may have to G-translate yourself,

as clicking the link forces a cookie question:wacko:

Of course in Hamburg, some are Bezirk (District) and some are for the State of Hamburg.

Name of the document
Where can I get the document?
Business license for restaurateurs Business registration office
Tax registration form Automatically from the tax office by post after registration of the trade
Health certificate Health department
Health permit Regulatory office
Food hygiene training according to EU regulation (EG) First instruction at the health department
Instruction according to Section 43 Infection Protection Act (IfSG) First instruction at the health department, follow-up instruction every 2 years by the employer
Proof of information for the catering trade Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Immission approval Trade inspection
Dispensing permit or permission Commercial registration office of the local community

50 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

G-Translate make it look like this, but you may have to G-translate yourself,

For your online translation needs, use deepl.com - it does the best job I've seen 

38 minutes ago, silty1 said:

For your online translation needs, use deepl.com - it does the best job I've seen 

I agree with you for blocks of text / documents.

However, I can't get the free version of Deepl to translate websites.

For that, G-translate at least has a stab at it.

12 hours ago, iflight said:

can u give me the exact German authority to contact. Stadt is general. 

If you can't even figure that out on your own, you should either hire someone to help you or forget the whole thing.

Selling prepared food commercially is a very bureaucratic endeavor in Germany and the pandemic has brought with it even more rules and regulations (as well as risk).

Setting up a food truck is very capital intensive and no matter how good your food is, without having the paperwork in order and the ability to comply with the constantly changing rules, your business does not have a chance.

Go to the IHK, set up a business plan, and look at your business idea with a critical eye.

On 6/12/2020, 9:27:29, HH_Sailor said:

A quick Google gave me this overview of the first 9 documents you'll need ( and which Amt is responsible)

https://www.arag.de/auf-ins-leben/selbststaendigkeit/food-truck-genehmigungen-und-vorschriften/?cookieSetting=true

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.arag.de%2Fauf-ins-leben%2Fselbststaendigkeit%2Ffood-truck-genehmigungen-und-vorschriften%2F

G-Translate makes it look like this, but you may have to G-translate yourself,

Of course in Hamburg, some are Bezirk (District) and some are for the State of Hamburg.

Name of the document
Where can I get the document?
Business license for restaurateurs Business registration office
Tax registration form Automatically from the tax office by post after registration of the trade
Health certificate Health department
Health permit Regulatory office
Food hygiene training according to EU regulation (EG) First instruction at the health department
Instruction according to Section 43 Infection Protection Act (IfSG) First instruction at the health department, follow-up instruction every 2 years by the employer
Proof of information for the catering trade Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Immission approval Trade inspection
Dispensing permit or permission Commercial registration office of the local community

Thanks alot for the trouble you took. Yes i am working on this list now and will try to find out whats best. 

On 6/12/2020, 11:12:53, engelchen said:

If you can't even figure that out on your own, you should either hire someone to help you or forget the whole thing.

Selling prepared food commercially is a very bureaucratic endeavor in Germany and the pandemic has brought with it even more rules and regulations (as well as risk).

Setting up a food truck is very capital intensive and no matter how good your food is, without having the paperwork in order and the ability to comply with the constantly changing rules, your business does not have a chance.

Go to the IHK, set up a business plan, and look at your business idea with a critical eye.

Can you recommend of such companies who help to setup business. I find it better to go with such companies as they already know what papers are required.  If a third party could take up all the paperwork for me that would be great. 

On 6/11/2020, 11:35:39, LukeSkywalker said:

You go to the Stadtverwaltung and then take it from there. As I understand you correctly, you want to stay somewhere public more permanently, but food trucks in general move around a lot visiting events, festivals and street parades isn't it? They apply for permits constantly. 

When I go to a food truck, it's because they offer something special, e.g. a ciabatta bread with Spanferkel meat or a special burger. What will be your USP: unique selling point? A normal sandwhich you can get at any German bakery.

I chose a food truck over standard imbiss location as the food truck gives mobility. 

Speaking of mobility i would always want to park the truck near office locations so people from nearby can grab something quickly during their lunch or morning times. In order to utilize a public parking spot i need some kind of a special permit. An alternative is to use private parking space (This could be discussed with a company who would willing offer it for some time) 

My USP is 

1. Hot Breakfast - This includes Omlettes,Bacon  Egg sandwiches , Grilled cheese sandwiches, Breakfast Burritos

2. Indian Snacks 

3. Indian dishes during lunch time , Curries and much more

Thanks for your inputs. Once i get this paperwork hurdle crossed then things would be more clear. 

Some factories have their morning break at 9, some at 10.  Offices at noon, so you could move around.  You can also go to weekly markets in your area.  Fleamarkets on weekends.

I know someone who has a market stand, not for food though, and he is in different places on different days.  He used to have a space in front of the mall but the mall jacked up the price too much.

9 hours ago, LeonG said:

Some factories have their morning break at 9, some at 10.  Offices at noon, so you could move around.  You can also go to weekly markets in your area.  Fleamarkets on weekends.

I know someone who has a market stand, not for food though, and he is in different places on different days.  He used to have a space in front of the mall but the mall jacked up the price too much.

Thanks that’s of great help. Currently i need to work on getting the registration done. But how to get permit for the parking. A little bit confused as a public parking permit would be great. I could get a spot near parks, gardens, mostly where people pass by and that would be good for business. 

On 13.6.2020, 22:31:33, iflight said:

Can you recommend of such companies who help to setup business.

No, you need to find one with local knowledge.

On 13.6.2020, 22:31:33, iflight said:

I find it better to go with such companies as they already know what papers are required.  If a third party could take up all the paperwork for me that would be great.

It is not just the paperwork. You need someone who understands and has experience in the hospitality industry in the area where you want to operate. There are many factors to take into consideration and having a truck and the paperwork is not sufficient to ensure success. 

I would highly recommend contacting your local IHK.

I'm not too convinced about hot breakfast for office workers. Most Germans take breakfast at home or a croissant, butterbreze, etc. to go. For factory workers it's different. Big factories offer hot breakfast in their subsidized canteens. I like the idea with Indian snacks and curries, but you have to move around.

On 6/13/2020, 10:45:02, iflight said:

I chose a food truck over standard imbiss location as the food truck gives mobility. 

Speaking of mobility i would always want to park the truck near office locations so people from nearby can grab something quickly during their lunch or morning times. In order to utilize a public parking spot i need some kind of a special permit. An alternative is to use private parking space (This could be discussed with a company who would willing offer it for some time) 

My USP is 

1. Hot Breakfast - This includes Omlettes,Bacon  Egg sandwiches , Grilled cheese sandwiches, Breakfast Burritos

2. Indian Snacks 

3. Indian dishes during lunch time , Curries and much more

Thanks for your inputs. Once i get this paperwork hurdle crossed then things would be more clear. 

Until you make a name of your own maybe you can sign up with something like this :  https://www.lunch-karawane.de/

One of my clients uses them. They basically send you on a different spot with guaranteed clients every day.

I have no idea what fees they ask but for the beginning it would probably help getting the people to know you.

They only send Foodtrucks to places where  a company (or sometimes together with other companies in the neighborhood that are interested) must guarantee that the area will make X Servings per day. At least in the Grosse Elbstrasse post that I know of, all trucks start selling around 11:00-12:00 by 14:00 they are sold out.

Good luck!