Travel to the US and back.

202 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hi y'all. My mom's flying back to the US on Friday: LH to Heathrow, and UA to San Francisco.

When I used to travel to the US a few times each year on Business we used to quote the Second Law on Transatlantic travel: never transit via London Heathrow.

The only time I did that (twas some years ago) although the LH flight was on time I only just made it onto the UA flight & of course my luggage did not.

The First Law?  Never transit via Paris Charles de Gaulle.

35 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hi y'all. My mom's flying back to the US on Friday: LH to Heathrow, and UA to San Francisco. We'll get the rapid antigen test within the 72 hour window. As far as I can see, this works for all the relevant authorities (LH, UA, UK immigration and US immigration)? Biggest question mark is the transit. For the others I'm fairly sure she'll be ok.

If your mother is elderly, you can request assistance for the transfer. They will collect her and drive her in one of those carts or take her in a wheelchair to her next gate. I'm only guessing that they do this at Heathrow like they do in other large airports.

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If your mother is elderly, you can request assistance for the transfer. They will collect her and drive her in one of those carts or take her in a wheelchair to her next gate. I'm only guessing that they do this at Heathrow like they do in other large airports.

My mom always requests wheelchair service when she flies to and from Germany because of her bad knee, and it’s worked out perfectly every single time. They also sometimes upgrade her to business class just because. 😉

34 minutes ago, HEM said:

When I used to travel to the US a few times each year on Business we used to quote the Second Law on Transatlantic travel: never transit via London Heathrow.

The only time I did that (twas some years ago) although the LH flight was on time I only just made it onto the UA flight & of course my luggage did not.

When booking, try your best to change planes in Germany or in the US. Try not to involve third countries. If one of those countries becomes a high risk area, that’ll make your life a nightmare.

I hate LHR with a passion and avoid it like the plague. Paris and Amsterdam aren’t far behind. We had a good/smooth transfer experience in Dublin back in pre-COVID days though. We got to clear customs there so that we didn’t have to wait in line upon our arrival in the US. 

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hi y'all. My mom's flying back to the US on Friday: LH to Heathrow, and UA to San Francisco. We'll get the rapid antigen test within the 72 hour window. As far as I can see, this works for all the relevant authorities (LH, UA, UK immigration and US immigration)? Biggest question mark is the transit. For the others I'm fairly sure she'll be ok.

My BIL just flew Newark-Zurich and back to visit us.  He had no problems boarding for the trip back to the US (Swiss Air/United) after getting a rapid test here in Konstanz the day before his nonstop flight back. 

Haha, thanks for the feedback. Yes yes, avoiding a UK airport is generally on our list, but this time it was hard to avoid. We used points for the ticket. Mom is almost 70, so I guess she's elderly though I am hesitant to refer to her that way. She's quite capable, but yes she walks a little slower than most. I don't know if she wants to be carted around, though. Plus, she wants to peruse the shops at T2. My brother (he's basically a travel agent) gave her over five hours to transit, so she'll likely have a lot of time to kill. She's also a fairly savvy traveller who travels a lot, often.

The main issue these days is the COVID rules are sometimes unclear. That's all.

5 hours ago, Santitas said:

When booking, try your best to change planes in Germany or in the US. Try not to involve third countries. If one of those countries becomes a high risk area, that’ll make your life a nightmare.

My US travels were well before the Corona saga began.

Whilst I had a European (Belgian) manager it was not difficult to persuade him to approve transit via Frankfurt (I live near Hamburg).

Luckily during the period I had a US manager he had had a bad experience himself going through LHR so I still got transit via FRA.

On 8/10/2021, 10:58:47, HEM said:

Four weeks ago I flew Berlin-Paris Charles de Gaulle-Vancouver. I was a little concerned as I only had a scheduled 90-minute stopover at CdG and my flight from Berlin was delayed by 30 minutes. Breezed through CdG and reached my gate with no problem.

BTW, returning to Berlin via Amsterdam last Saturday, I walked from the baggage carousel at BER to the S-Bahn station without being asked for my Imfpass, test results or anything of the sort. Makes me feel all warm and feverish, sorry, fuzzy inside.

F*ck! American Airlines just canceled my flight from MUC to Greenville through Charlotte (CLT). I guess they canceled the MUC-CLT direct flight indefinitely.

So, now they want to change us to a 2 stop through London. Arggghhhh.

I'm really (always) trying to avoid London and now avoid anything that doesn't connect in Germany or the US and AA had nothing.

So, who has traveled through London recently? What do you think? I think I worry the most about changing status in London and the rules for transiting there (which I have not yet looked up).

1 hour ago, kitkat64 said:

F*ck! American Airlines just canceled my flight from MUC to Greenville through Charlotte (CLT). I guess they canceled the MUC-CLT direct flight indefinitely.

So, now they want to change us to a 2 stop through London. Arggghhhh.

I know people who work for AA - the direct Munich-Charlotte route still is suspended, and will be indefinitely.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I fly direct to Charlotte from MUC with LH. Have they stopped that route?

I only meant American Airlines. :)

Lufthansa is a different story (and prices,too.)

Update: mom transited LHR easily, and only needed that Antigen test that was no more than three-days old, plus the British passenger locator form and the CDC's COVID form for the US.

BTW, I went with her to get tested, and they did it for her for free too as a citizen test. I'm not sure if it was because they checked me in first, and mistakenly assumed/entered her into the same group, or I chose it in the online registration for her by mistake. Either way, I asked them if that was actually ok, and they said sure.

On 16.8.2021, 14:36:12, Metall said:

I know people who work for AA - the direct Munich-Charlotte route still is suspended, and will be indefinitely.

Still suspended? Like, just got suspended last week - that is why they cancelled the flight. Apparently, it will only be re-instated for the holiday period around Christmas. 

And, unfortunately, every other AA flight going to the US now from Munich goes through London. :-( I guess I will be cancelling the whole thing. I am NOT going through London.

13 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

BTW, I went with her to get tested, and they did it for her for free too as a citizen test. I'm not sure if it was because they checked me in first, and mistakenly assumed/entered her into the same group, or I chose it in the online registration for her by mistake. Either way, I asked them if that was actually ok, and they said sure.

The tests here are free to anyone and have nothing to do with citizenship or residency.  My BIL also got his for free before flying back to the US several weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, kitkat64 said:

Still suspended? Like, just got suspended last week - that is why they cancelled the flight. Apparently, it will only be re-instated for the holiday period around Christmas. 

And, unfortunately, every other AA flight going to the US now from Munich goes through London. :-( I guess I will be cancelling the whole thing. I am NOT going through London.

I talked to the AA people and they confirmed the direct route Munich-Charlotte will not be serviced by American as of now. It's all through London via a different carrier.
As for Christmas, yes, they heard a rumor but nothing for sure.

11 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

The tests here are free to anyone and have nothing to do with citizenship or residency.  My BIL also got his for free before flying back to the US several weeks ago. 

Really??? I thought you needed to be a resident. My brother paid for it haha. Good to know, thanks.

7 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Really??? I thought you needed to be a resident. My brother paid for it haha. Good to know, thanks.

When ever I get tested in Germany, I just show my UK passport, they look at it and give me a free test. 

They do not scan it in or do any validation on it, to show I am indeed a resident in Munich

So i think its free to everyone

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

When ever I get tested in Germany, I just show my UK passport, they look at it and give me a free test. 

They do not scan it in or do any validation on it, to show I am indeed a resident in Munich

So i think its free to everyone

I was thinking about this after @kaffeemitmilch responded.  I’ve also just shown my US Passport, not my residency permit.