Travel to the US and back.

142 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, MollyWolly said:

We both have Global Entry

Thanks for reply.  Not helpful though :-)   Since you both have Global Entry -- different ball of wax. 

On 6/21/2021, 8:45:18, Brockman said:

Hello! I am a US citizen residing in Germany, and I am traveling to the US (NY) with my family in a few weeks (wife is DE citizen and kids are US/DE). I would like to know if anyone has traveled from Germany to the US very recently, and if so, could they confirm that it was fine to travel with an antigen test result (ie you don't need a PCR). Thank you in advance! Maybe @MollyWolly? Thanks!

Just wanted to add a few things. I didn't travel from Germany recently, but did go from both Dominican and Aruba back to USA. Antigen test is fine, as is PCR. If you fly with United, you can upload your result before flying and they will approve it. This was useful as in the Dominican, the doctor accidentally put the wrong date of test and United caught it (I wouldn't have otherwise). Had to go back to hotel doctor and have another result printed.

But you still have to show United when checking in. Test is not needed once in USA. My last time with Lufthansa to USA was in January and I showed the result at boarding gate.

Lieber Toytowners,

anyone fly to USA recently?   Is a result from an official "Schnelltest" really okay?   There are plenty of free, no appointment-required testing centers around me, I'd love to do that rather than a PCR test.   United Airline's site says “any negative Antigen or Molecular test”;  Lufthansa says "Accepted tests are: antigen, NAAT, RT-LAMP, RT-PCR or TMA."  

CDC says " Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. "

Has anyone flown using an "official" antigen Schnelltest like that excerpted below?

Schnelltest certificate excerpt.jpg

I am fully vaccinated by now and have the proof on paper (the yellow International Certificate of Vaccination) as well as the EU CovPass app showing my status. Need to travel to the US soon.

I am worried about US airlines stating on their booking sites they only accept a current Covid test or proof of recovery. Nothing about vaccination.

Has anybody recently traveled to the US and gotten on the plane with proof of vaccination in Germany?

10 minutes ago, Metall said:

US airlines stating on their booking sites they only accept a current Covid test

So just get a current covid test before you fly. I would recommend PCR to be safe. That is what people have been doing for quite a while now. They are free.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So just get a current covid test before you fly. I would recommend PCR to be safe. That is what people have been doing for quite a while now. They are free.

I understand that, I'm just wondering where to get the test flying back, as it will be a very small town area in the US.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

just get a current covid test before you fly. I would recommend PCR to be safe. They are free.

around me schnelltests are free, but PCR are not.  Also, the timing on PCR is trickier (I understand, not impossible) - the antigen schnelltest would just be easiest to obtain as well as free.

anyone had actual experience flying with an antigen schnelltest certificate (not PCR) ?

We got PCR tests at Himself's GP for free a couple of months ago.

@Metall, is there anyone on the other end who can check on tests for you over there?

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We got PCR tests at Himself's GP for free a couple of months ago.

Dresden does free schnelltesting all over town (though less places than 6 weeks ago).  Cheapest PCR test I found is 40 EUR.  adds up for the family, plus the timing issue.

anyone flown to USA with an antigen schnelltest certificate (not PCR) ?

29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The airlines will only accept a PCR test. They will not accept a Schnell test. 

The PCR test costs upwards of €40. 

5 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

I don't mean a self test, I mean a rapid antigen test done at a test center. 

United Airline's site says any negative Antigen or Molecular test”;  Lufthansa says "Accepted tests are: antigen, NAAT, RT-LAMP, RT-PCR or TMA.

CDC says: could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test

Helfire99, have you flown and seen it?  I haven't flown so am clueless. 

11 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

That is not true. I’ve flown twice to the US recently and the Schnelltest antigens tests are readily accepted. Both Lufthansa and United.

1 minute ago, MollyWolly said:

I’ve flown twice to the US recently and the Schnelltest antigens tests are readily accepted. Both Lufthansa and United.

MollyWolly,  that's good to know.

How about Metall's question?   Did the ariline (especially United) insist in USA on seeing a test result for flight back to Germany, or was vaccination in Germany good enough for the airline?

56 minutes ago, Metall said:

I am fully vaccinated by now and have the proof on paper (the yellow International Certificate of Vaccination) as well as the EU CovPass app showing my status. Need to travel to the US soon.

I am worried about US airlines stating on their booking sites they only accept a current Covid test or proof of recovery. Nothing about vaccination.

Has anybody recently traveled to the US and gotten on the plane with proof of vaccination in Germany?

Nope! The US doesn’t accept proof of vaccination for entrance. Must show a negative COVID test result - basically any kind other than self test is fine.

Edit: the airlines do accept proof of vaccination for return to Germany. I showed my US CDC card to Lufthansa, and then again to the Bundespolizei agent and was on my way.

19 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

11 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

I don't mean a self test, I mean a rapid antigen test done at a test center. 

United Airline's site says any negative Antigen or Molecular test”;  Lufthansa says "Accepted tests are: antigen, NAAT, RT-LAMP, RT-PCR or TMA.

CDC says: could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test

Helfire99, have you flown and seen it?  I haven't flown so am clueless. 

8 minutes ago, MollyWolly said:

That is not true. I’ve flown twice to the US recently and the Schnelltest antigens tests are readily accepted. Both Lufthansa and United.

USA / Vereinigte Staaten: Reise- und Sicherheitshinweise (15.07.21)

Reisende müssen der Fluggesellschaft vor Einreise in die USA einen negativen Corona-Test (PCR-Test oder Antigentest) vorlegen (elektronisch oder in Papierform), der nicht älter als drei Tage sein darf. Personen, die innerhalb von drei Monaten vor Abreise mit COVID-19 infiziert waren, müssen der Fluggesellschaft entsprechende Nachweise vorlegen. Während des Fluges und an den Flughäfen besteht Maskenpflicht.

12 minutes ago, MollyWolly said:

Edit: the airlines do accept proof of vaccination for return to Germany. I showed my US CDC card to Lufthansa, and then again to the Bundespolizei agent and was on my way.

Oh!! *That* is interesting!
However, that was Lufthansa, a German carrier - I'm talking about Delta, United, American.

I would assume the US carriers would accept proof of vaccination. Otherwise they wouldn’t have many customers at this point. They all get the same rules from the German government, right?

This is what United’s website says:

“All travelers 6 years of age or older are required to present a qualifying negative COVID-19 antigen test result taken at most 48 hours before arrival in Germany or a negative COVID-19 PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA test taken at most 72 hours before arrival, unless exempt. Test results must be in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish. This does not apply to travelers transiting through Germany to a non-Schengen member state. Customers can also provide proof of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19 instead of a negative test result. Travelers must have proof of vaccination in written (e.g. CDC card) or digital form — photos of vaccination certificates are not acceptable as proof of vaccine.”

Just flew with United and arrived on July 15, ORD-FRA. As stated for arrival to Germany, you Need Proof of vax or negative test. 

I uploaded my document at check in. Was approved immediately. Then at gate, they checked document again and gave a red dot sticker on your passport. I watched the agent check documents and she just gave them a quick glance over. She also had a list of requirements for other countries as Frankfurt is a huge entry point to go elsewhere to ensure the documents were appropriate for final destination country. Airlines are who gets in trouble if someone tries to get in that shouldn’t. 

At passport control, they asked for document I showed airline. Overall, was easy peasy. 

Flight was full. Only 3 business seats open and I flew a lot in 2020 between Frankfurt and USA where there were only ~10 people in business (one time had 5!). I could see the difference. 

15 hours ago, MollyWolly said:

I would assume the US carriers would accept proof of vaccination.

3 hours ago, Nkwal said:

Just flew with United and arrived on July 15, ORD-FRA. As stated for arrival to Germany, you Need Proof of vax or negative test. 

digging deeper into the United website and entering my LH booking code (flight operated by LH) and looking at what United says LH wants for return to Germany, I see United says: "Passengers are exempt from pre-departure testing if they have completed full course of COVID-19 vaccination 14 days before departure."

UA requirements to DEU (16-Jul-2021).jpg

digging deeper into the LH website and asking for info from BOS to FRA, LH says if coming from a Hochinzidenzgebieten or Risikogebieten you can show an antigen test not older than 48 hours or Impfnachweis. 

LH requirements to DEU (16-Jul-2021).jpg

and on another web page LH says: "Für die Ein- bzw. Rückreise nach Deutschland ist unabhängig von der Risikoklassifizierung ein negativer Corona-Test nötig. Dieser ist vor der Ankunft in Deutschland durchführen zu lassen.  Vollständig Geimpfte, Genesene und Kinder unter sechs Jahren sind von der Testpflicht ausgenommen. Bei der Einreise aus einem Virusvariantengebiet ist der Test auch für Geimpfte und Genesene verpflichtend."    See  https://www.lufthansa.com/de/de/corona-tests

You can get a free Covid test (PCR or fast/schnelltest) at Walgreen's and CVS in the US.  You'll have to sign up through their website in order to make an appointment.  My wife and daughter recently traveled internationally (we're in the US) and needed a PCR test.  They signed up through the Walgreen's website, scheduled an appointment and had the PCR results the next day.  The results are emailed and available online under your account.  No health insurance is required.

S.