Travel to the US and back.

202 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wanderingangus said:

Thanks for the response. Do you have any knowledge of proceedures at German and US airports?

Yes, I do.  What exactly do you want to know?

Looking for people with practical experience, because I haven't been able to find infos from government organizations or the likes:

I'm an American with my main residency in Germany (Frankfurt) and would like to visit home (NJ) over the holidays:

1: Want to avoid tests or injections at customs;

2: Have heard that an antibody test (from GP) could be accepted. If so: for which duration, which country would accept it?

3: I'm willing to isolate once I've reached my destiny.

4: Am concerned that a new law will be placed in January to force everyone to receive the injection and then I will be stuck in the US.

I am aware that the PCR test results should be relayed within 48 hours before departure and that Germany needs upon re-entry into the country, either a PCR test or self-isolation.

25 minutes ago, wanderingangus said:

Looking for people with practical experience, because I haven't been able to find infos from government organizations or the likes:

I'm an American with my main residency in Germany (Frankfurt) and would like to visit home (NJ) over the holidays:

1: Want to avoid tests or injections at customs;

That won't happen.

2: Have heard that an antibody test (from GP) could be accepted. If so: for which duration, which country would accept it?

You don't need a test of any kind to enter the US.

3: I'm willing to isolate once I've reached my destiny.

You're supposed to do that when you arrive in the US, but there is no enforcement.

When you return to Germany, you must fill out a form, and you will be tracked.  You must quarantine upon return, and if you are found in violation, you will be financially penalized.  You must report your trip to your local Gesundheitsamt.

4: Am concerned that a new law will be placed in January to force everyone to receive the injection and then I will be stuck in the US.

Unlikely, since there is no schedule for vaccinations in either the US or Germany.

I am aware that the PCR test results should be relayed within 48 hours before departure and that Germany needs upon re-entry into the country, either a PCR test or self-isolation.

This is old news.  As of 8 November, when you return, you must immediately go home and quarantine.  After 5 days of quarantine, you can take a PCR test.  If it is negative, quarantine is lifted.

If you choose not to take the PCR test after five days, you must quarantine for 14 days.

We are all being strongly advised not to travel over the holidays, BTW.

Of course, I don't know your particular situation. 

On 12/7/2020, 11:55:11, wanderingangus said:

Any actual updates - since November - concerning travel/flight/airport requirements, specifically: on site bodily violations ("tests")  either in the US or in Germany?

coralbox@rocketmail.com

I flew FRA - IAD October 28 and came back Nov 15. Entering USA is like pre-corona. No more health checks/temp checks or anything. You do have to prove you are allowed into the USA tho before leaving Germany. 

Returning to FRA has changed every time I return and I have done 6 trips since March. The latest as of mid-Nov is Germany requires you to fill out a form to enter the country (previously the airlines were handing it out and FA told me sometimes no one even collected it). The forms can now be filled out online, but I am not a fan of data collection so I didn't fill it out online. FA asked if anyone needed it so I filled my out on the plane and when I returned no one asked for it. However, I came back from Egypt on December 3 and passport control in Frankfurt asked for the form.

Lufthansa and United both informed me by email that Germany requires this form for entry and then says check the quarantine rules of your final destination.

The rules are constantly changing. But most important are the entry rules. US requires no test. Germany requires a form. Test has to do with the amount of time you are required to quarantine once returning.

Just found your message, thanks.

I'm aware that the rules change constantly, that's why I'm asking around. I've got a flight for the 19th and don't want anyone to touch me. Don't want my Mother at home to be brought into any unplesent situation because of my arrival.

Sooooo,

1.No one stuck anything down your throat or up your nose?

2. You didn't have to quaranteen in the US?

Here's my little update:

PCR test on Wednesday, Schell Test on Thursday.

Hamburg Check In like normal. Flight was full

Amsterdam Check In Normal: filled out attestation form at the gate. Flight was about 75% full. Food was normal and the beer was free! 

What I LOVED! they boarded the plane from rear to front and deplaned from front to rear and they said Sit the FUCK down until the people in front of you have moved.

Seattle Customs like normal.  If you have to opportunity to use the Mobil Passport app, it is the bomb!

row1.JPG

food1.JPG

Anyone traveled from the US to Krautania recently? just looking for tips. 

Want that plane grub again, Tor?😂

Make it to Hamburg from 27 June ( when I'll be there for my Brexit stuff yet again.. last mission just failed the other week!) and I'll treat you to a post-pandemic curry take away!❤️

On 6/5/2021, 5:29:53, tor said:

Anyone traveled from the US to Krautania recently? just looking for tips. 

I just returned yesterday from vacation in the US. Was pretty easy since I got vaccinated there, flew back more than 14 days after the 2nd shot, and therefore did not need to get a test before the flight. The US is also off the RKI’s Risikogebiete list now, so you don’t need to fill in the Einreiseanmeldung anymore. Overall much easier than when I did the same trip in April for my 1st shot.

Coming through passport control at Frankfurt, I used the electronic machine (for German/EU citizens) but still had to stop at the border official’s window before exiting. All he asked was which country I came in from and then for evidence of vaccination or negative test. I showed my US CDC vaccination card and was through in under 30 seconds. 

I will say the line for Lufthansa at the airport in the US was extremely long probably due to many passengers having document problems. The person at the next desk over at check in was in a dispute with the airline person about being allowed in to France as an American - I guess he was connecting through Frankfurt or something. The airline employees all looked totally exhausted so I’m guessing they were regularly dealing with stuff like that.

Hello! I am a US citizen residing in Germany, and I am traveling to the US (NY) with my family in a few weeks (wife is DE citizen and kids are US/DE). I would like to know if anyone has traveled from Germany to the US very recently, and if so, could they confirm that it was fine to travel with an antigen test result (ie you don't need a PCR). Thank you in advance! Maybe @MollyWolly? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Brockman said:

Hello! I am a US citizen residing in Germany, and I am traveling to the US (NY) with my family in a few weeks (wife is DE citizen and kids are US/DE). I would like to know if anyone has traveled from Germany to the US very recently, and if so, could they confirm that it was fine to travel with an antigen test result (ie you don't need a PCR). Thank you in advance! Maybe @MollyWolly? Thanks!

Antigen quick test is fine. The airline employees in Germany are the ones deciding if it’s ok - mine was entirely in German and I had no problem. In April, the US immigration Officer asked to see it but looked at it for 1 second (I guess checking the box that he saw it). In May, nobody checked on the US side.

Be very careful to have documentation with you proving your marriage. The US still has the ban on Europeans entering, so technically she can only enter with you. My husband is German and we each carried a copy of our marriage certificate. Since your kids have US passport, they’ll have no problem.

Plan extra time for the airport in Germany. You won’t be able to complete the online checkin process and get boarding passes like normal (true for us with both United and Lufthansa). The checkin agent has to call someone at Homeland Security to manually override the system and allow the German spouse permission to enter the US. Process took about 20 minutes - same for both airlines - from the time we got to the agent, i.e. not including any time waiting in line.

16 hours ago, MollyWolly said:

The US still has the ban on Europeans entering,

Does that apply to green card holders?

37 minutes ago, jeba said:

Does that apply to green card holders?

For details see, https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/ 

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any noncitizen national of the United States;

(iii)   any noncitizen who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iv)    any noncitizen who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v)     any noncitizen who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(vi)    any noncitizen who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications

(vii)   any noncitizen traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(viii)  any noncitizen traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any noncitizen otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(ix)    any noncitizen

(A)  seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas:  A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B)  whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(x)     any noncitizen who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and any noncitizen who is a spouse or child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces

(xi)    any noncitizen whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee; or

(xii)   any noncitizen whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees.

17 hours ago, MollyWolly said:

In April, the US immigration Officer asked to see [test result] but looked at it for 1 second (I guess checking the box that he saw it). In May, nobody checked on the US side.

Be very careful to have documentation with you proving your marriage.

MollyWolly, thanks for the info and tip. 

Question on your experience clearing CBP passport control on arrival in U.S. with German spouse:  did German spouse accompany U.S. citizen family members through the line for U.S. citizens, or did German spouse have to go in line for arriving aliens? 

Related follow up Q, did you use the CBP's Mobile Passport Control app, and if so was the German spouse able to use that with rest of family? 

4 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

MollyWolly, thanks for the info and tip. 

Question on your experience clearing CBP passport control on arrival in U.S. with German spouse:  did German spouse accompany U.S. citizen family members through the line for U.S. citizens, or did German spouse have to go in line for arriving aliens? 

Related follow up Q, did you use the CBP's Mobile Passport Control app, and if so was the German spouse able to use that with rest of family? 

We both have Global Entry and went through the line together. Don’t know how it works with the app or going through the regular line, sorry.