Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travel to the US and back.

89 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wanderingangus said:

Thanks for the response. Do you have any knowledge of proceedures at German and US airports?

Yes, I do.  What exactly do you want to know?

Looking for people with practical experience, because I haven't been able to find infos from government organizations or the likes:

I'm an American with my main residency in Germany (Frankfurt) and would like to visit home (NJ) over the holidays:

1: Want to avoid tests or injections at customs;

2: Have heard that an antibody test (from GP) could be accepted. If so: for which duration, which country would accept it?

3: I'm willing to isolate once I've reached my destiny.

4: Am concerned that a new law will be placed in January to force everyone to receive the injection and then I will be stuck in the US.

I am aware that the PCR test results should be relayed within 48 hours before departure and that Germany needs upon re-entry into the country, either a PCR test or self-isolation.

25 minutes ago, wanderingangus said:

Looking for people with practical experience, because I haven't been able to find infos from government organizations or the likes:

I'm an American with my main residency in Germany (Frankfurt) and would like to visit home (NJ) over the holidays:

1: Want to avoid tests or injections at customs;

That won't happen.

2: Have heard that an antibody test (from GP) could be accepted. If so: for which duration, which country would accept it?

You don't need a test of any kind to enter the US.

3: I'm willing to isolate once I've reached my destiny.

You're supposed to do that when you arrive in the US, but there is no enforcement.

When you return to Germany, you must fill out a form, and you will be tracked.  You must quarantine upon return, and if you are found in violation, you will be financially penalized.  You must report your trip to your local Gesundheitsamt.

4: Am concerned that a new law will be placed in January to force everyone to receive the injection and then I will be stuck in the US.

Unlikely, since there is no schedule for vaccinations in either the US or Germany.

I am aware that the PCR test results should be relayed within 48 hours before departure and that Germany needs upon re-entry into the country, either a PCR test or self-isolation.

This is old news.  As of 8 November, when you return, you must immediately go home and quarantine.  After 5 days of quarantine, you can take a PCR test.  If it is negative, quarantine is lifted.

If you choose not to take the PCR test after five days, you must quarantine for 14 days.

We are all being strongly advised not to travel over the holidays, BTW.

Of course, I don't know your particular situation. 

On 12/7/2020, 11:55:11, wanderingangus said:

Any actual updates - since November - concerning travel/flight/airport requirements, specifically: on site bodily violations ("tests")  either in the US or in Germany?

coralbox@rocketmail.com

I flew FRA - IAD October 28 and came back Nov 15. Entering USA is like pre-corona. No more health checks/temp checks or anything. You do have to prove you are allowed into the USA tho before leaving Germany. 

Returning to FRA has changed every time I return and I have done 6 trips since March. The latest as of mid-Nov is Germany requires you to fill out a form to enter the country (previously the airlines were handing it out and FA told me sometimes no one even collected it). The forms can now be filled out online, but I am not a fan of data collection so I didn't fill it out online. FA asked if anyone needed it so I filled my out on the plane and when I returned no one asked for it. However, I came back from Egypt on December 3 and passport control in Frankfurt asked for the form.

Lufthansa and United both informed me by email that Germany requires this form for entry and then says check the quarantine rules of your final destination.

The rules are constantly changing. But most important are the entry rules. US requires no test. Germany requires a form. Test has to do with the amount of time you are required to quarantine once returning.

Just found your message, thanks.

I'm aware that the rules change constantly, that's why I'm asking around. I've got a flight for the 19th and don't want anyone to touch me. Don't want my Mother at home to be brought into any unplesent situation because of my arrival.

Sooooo,

1.No one stuck anything down your throat or up your nose?

2. You didn't have to quaranteen in the US?