Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travel to the US and back.

78 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Metall said:

I'm trying to help an American PhD student who is supposed to start research work as a microbiologist in Germany.

Even though she has a visa she still can't enter. I believe the sticky point is she doesn't have a residency here yet.

I suggested that she argue that her work is close to health research (one the reasons to enter listed in the regulations for non-EU countries), but she still didn't get an exemption.

Yes, Germany. I was told I would get into Poland, because with the work permit, I am considered essential. I can't get my resident visa here in LA as the Polish consulate is closed.  I was told I would get in, but I would have to quarantine for 2 weeks.  That is why I would consider going to Canada for 2 weeks. I could then just fly to Europe. As a Canadian citizen, I would get into Canada which Americans cannot right now.

8 minutes ago, Metall said:

but she still didn't get an exemption.

From whom?

8 minutes ago, engelchen said:

From whom?

Oh! I just checked her messages - she didn't get the visa! I think that's the exemption she's talking about.

Her German research instutute seems to be unsure of what to do, they are mailing back and forth. That's why I dug up the regulations in English, and told her  to talk to her local German consulate. It doesn't help the the consulates in the US are only open for emergency services.

One thing I can't find out is if a US citizen could call the Auswärtiges Amt (German Foreign Office), or if they'll only talk to German citizens.

33 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

My understanding was that no flights from the US will be allowed.

There are still flights (there have always been flights), there are just limitations on who may enter the country. Goods are not effected by the entry bans. 

On 7/1/2020, 10:12:47, Long Island Duckling said:

By the time we returned to Munich in mid-June, there was no longer the requirement in Bavaria to quarantine when coming back from New York  - it´s currently considered a safe place to come from, as far as corona is concerned! 

Same way it always has been, or not!  😱

I don't think quarantine is being monitored here, but the Corona tracking app would give you away. If it would actually work*. Ahem.

(* work as in run on phones older than two years, work as in not simply stop after two weeks etc.)

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

And I'm probably not the only person who rarely takes my phone when I leave the house.

With you there! I switch off my old cell phone when home.  It is really just for  when I am driving.

Use landline, IPad .

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So how would they track us?

That last vaccine shot contained a chip...

or was that Windows 10 ?

That's why the needle was so fat and the site still itches 

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

And I'm probably not the only person who rarely takes my phone when I leave the house.

I never take my phone with me when I'm out in the local area and only take it out when I'm traveling on overnight trips.  For a while, I was receiving annoying messages from Telekom informing me of special offers, so I was putting it in Airplane Mode and forgetting about it for weeks at a time.

The need for the phone as an essential 24/7 communications option ended when I retired last year.  I don't tweet, FB, or instagram.  I do WhatsApp with a friend in the States, but only from home when connected to my WiFi.  I never understood the need to be connected all of the time, but to each their own.

On 27.6.2020, 19:35:34, broadway_pixie said:

Hi, I am am searching for information. I already emailed the Ausländerbehörde asking if travel is allowed or what to do.  No response yet.  I have been out of the country since December. My widereinreisfrist will expire middle of July, my residency will expire if I don't return.  Is Germany allowing entry for u.s. citizens? I have  Daueraufenthalt EU.  I deregister in Germany in November to attend school in the u.s.a.

It is possible that your permit became void when you left and if it is void, you are not allowed to enter Germany at the moment from the US.

See this thread for more info: https://www.info4alien.de/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1582369713/6#6

On 7/1/2020, 9:26:29, engelchen said:

Considering the rising number of cases in the US, I think it is much too soon for anyone living in the US to make plans to come to Germany for a visit. The Innenministerium has published the list of the first non-Schengen countries from where visitors may arrive:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/pressemitteilungen/DE/2020/07/aufhebung-einreisebeschraenkung.html

The rules are going to be reviewed biweekly. I think your family should wait and see if the US manages to make it this summer and if there are any special restrictions for them.

The rising cases are only people testing positive. Death rate continues to go down and hospitalizations are not going up. It is all a hype. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/health/coronavirus-mortality-testing.html

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/why-covid-19-deaths-are-down-but-case-numbers-are-up-in-america

Of course you can find articles saying the death toll will rise... Just like they told us millions would die back in March.  Common sense needs to prevail: wear a mask, wash your hands, stay out of big crowds.  

On 7/3/2020, 1:36:55, Metall said:

I'm trying to help an American PhD student who is supposed to start research work as a microbiologist in Germany.

Even though she has a visa she still can't enter. I believe the sticky point is she doesn't have a residency here yet.

I suggested that she argue that her work is close to health research (one the reasons to enter listed in the regulations for non-EU countries), but she still didn't get an exemption.

update and need help

So I wrote to the auslaenderbehoerde a couple times earlier this month. They didn't answer until this weekend.  They are not comprehending that I do not want my residency canceled.  So I called them and they still didn't quite get it.  They said i can come to Germany anytime and just reapply for a work permit when I arrive. wtf?  (I have Daueraufenthalt EU)...(I dont want to lose my rights an start from the beginning again)

Unfortunately for me, i just ran into a problem.  I live with a good friend of mine and she is a care taker of her grandma.  Her grandmother lives in a different home, but she has been seeing her grandmother almost every day because she lost her husband to complications after a surgery a little over a month ago.  My friends grandmother took a covid 19 test, and got the results this past friday, they were positive.  

My friend nor her husband are not having any symptoms and neither am I.  I was never in direct contact with her grandmother.  But we now should get tested anyway.  Despite me being an overly cautious about hygiene, the friends I live with are lazier about this than they should be, which puts me at risk.  I am supposed to be back in Germany by the 15th, a few days away from my wiedereinreisfrist date.  I was going to book a plane tick this weekend, but did not because I was waiting for an answer from the auslaenderbehoerde, and they are super slow as always despite my urgently needing an answer.  I didn't book the ticket because of now knowing I need to be tested now.  It takes some days before being able to test and takes quite a few days for results. geeze.

Do I have any legal rights not to lose my residency by being stuck in the united stupid of america because of needing to test for covid?  I have lived in germany over 10 years before this complicated situation.  I would have come before july if it was permitted, but it wasn't.

Does anybody have helpful info or resources? help!

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/visa/covid-19-in-germany/special-regulations-on-entry-and-residence/

11. I have a valid residence permit for Germany and am abroad, as my return journey is not possible due to travel restrictions and restricted air traffic. When can I return to Germany? 

Your valid residence permit for Germany expires if you stay abroad for more than six months (Section 51 (1) No. 7 AufenthG (German Residence Law)). Due to the extensive travel restrictions, there is one exception: If you are abroad and have no possibility to return to Germany within the six-month period, you can apply for an extension of the deadline. This application must be submitted to the competent Foreigners Authority before the deadline expires and can be made informally. 

You can find out when it is possible to re-enter Germany by contacting the German embassy or consulate in the country in which you are situated. 

12. Before the Corona measures in Germany entered into force, I travelled abroad. Now my residence permit expires and I cannot re-enter Germany. What can I do? 

If your residence title loses its validity during your stay abroad and you have reason to believe that the residence title would have been extended under normal circumstances, you can apply for its extension in accordance with Section 81 (1) AufenthG (German Residence Law) at the Foreigners Authorityresponsible for you in Germany before the expiry of the residence title.

The application for renewal can be submitted informally (e.g. by e-mail) from abroad. If the application is submitted before the expiry of the residence title, the legal fictional effect of Section 81 (4) No. 1 AufenthG (German Residence Law) comes into force. For re-entry at a later date, you need a fictional certificate issued by the competent Foreigners Authority and sent to you. For details on how to send the certificate of fiction, please contact your competent Foreigners Authority.

I could not find the online form for the extension. I looked for that.  I did write to immigration.... but knowing germans they will want an official document or form right?