Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travel to the US and back.

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

Has anyone had family from the US come out to visit yet? 

How would that be possible?  EU borders remain closed to US citizens who are not resident in the EU.

7 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

How would that be possible?  EU borders remain closed to US citizens who are not resident in the EU.

Ah, ok. Let me rephrase the question then. Anyone planning to have family

from the US come visit this summer once the borders open? Were they able to buy tickets normally? Did they have to do anything else?

4 hours ago, Santitas said:

from the US come visit this summer once the borders open? Were they able to buy tickets normally? Did they have to do anything else?

Buying a ticket is easy - no hassles.  A lovely lady friend of mine planned to visit me this month.  LH sold her a ticket without any fuss - then canceled the flights.

59 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Buying a ticket is easy - no hassles.  A lovely lady friend of mine planned to visit me this month.  LH sold her a ticket without any fuss - then canceled the flights.

Wow, okay. Did she at least get her money back?

On 29/06/2020, 14:09:49, Santitas said:

from the US come visit this summer once the borders open?

Considering the rising number of cases in the US, I think it is much too soon for anyone living in the US to make plans to come to Germany for a visit. The Innenministerium has published the list of the first non-Schengen countries from where visitors may arrive:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/pressemitteilungen/DE/2020/07/aufhebung-einreisebeschraenkung.html

On 29/06/2020, 14:09:49, Santitas said:

Were they able to buy tickets normally? Did they have to do anything else?

The rules are going to be reviewed biweekly. I think your family should wait and see if the US manages to make it this summer and if there are any special restrictions for them.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Considering the rising number of cases in the US, I think it is much too soon for anyone living in the US to make plans to come to Germany for a visit. The Innenministerium has published the list of the first non-Schengen countries from where visitors may arrive:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/pressemitteilungen/DE/2020/07/aufhebung-einreisebeschraenkung.html

The rules are going to be reviewed biweekly. I think your family should wait and see if the US manages to make it this summer and if there are any special restrictions for them.

Yeah, it seems like this summer won’t be happening. They bought tickets that they can change for free, thankfully. 

Americans 🤦🏿‍♀️🤦🏿‍♀️

Buying the tickets is not the problem, the airline can just cancel the flight and then try to to give you vouchers for another flight. Some airlines re-fuse to gove you your money back, so if you book 3 or 4 flights you could have a lot of money tied up with not much chance of getting it back for some time.

If the airline is still in business by then. My travel insurance is up for renewal and "airline failure" is now explicitly excluded, which it wasn't before.

I bought some tickets for a while in the future (not to the US, but equally precarious) and I bought Lufthansa, because somehow I was sure it would be a state run airline by then.

On 29.6.2020, 07:26:44, AlexTr said:

@Long Island Duckling Did you quarantine for 14 days in the US or was that requirement not in place then?

Yes, we had to fill out our contact information on landing in Newark and were told to quarantine for 14 days.  However, it was more of an an honor system thing.  Nobody ever followed up if we did or not. (We did!:)) It wasn´t a problem for us because we were staying with my parents at their house, my childhood home, so there was room enough to stay out of their way.

By the time we returned to Munich in mid-June, there was no longer the requirement in Bavaria to quarantine when coming back from New York  - it´s currently considered a safe place to come from, as far as corona is concerned!  But we still stayed home and away from people as much as possible, just as a general protective and preventive measure.

I suppose when we fly back to New York in 3 weeks, we´ll probably have to quarantine there again.  At least there´s an adorable and loving dog at my parents´ house who keeps us busy!:wub:

On 29.6.2020, 20:08:08, Santitas said:

Wow, okay. Did she at least get her money back?

Not yet.  LH say they are on a 6 week delay for refunds.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Not yet.  LH say they are on a 6 week delay for refunds.

They are lying, I have been waiting for over 6 weeks since the scheduled departure and a month longer than that since the initial notification that the flight had been cancelled. I have raised a dispute with Paypal in the hope I can get the payment back that way.

On 6/27/2020, 12:51:10, ansi said:

As a datapoint, I’m an American and flew into Munich from Los Angeles on Lufthansa with my 2 cats on June 9th. I had zero issues being let back in the country. The immigration officer took one look at the Niederlassungserlaubnis sticker in my US passport, said “Willkommen” and waved me through.

I also had very good experience with Lufthansa after they cancelled my original flights. I was supposed to come back end of April and my rescheduled flights got cancelled multiple times, so I ended up staying about 5 weeks longer than expected. They were very helpful on the phone though, and rebooked everything (including the cats) several times without charge or fuss.

The flight itself had 97 passengers and we all pretty much got our own row. They were very strict about enforcing the mask policy.

How did you handle flying with the cats on Lufthansa?  Did they fly with you? Under the seat? In cargo? Or on another plane?

I have a work visa for Poland in August and will be flying Lufthansa through Frankfurt from LAX and transfering to Warsaw.  Any help or insight would be appreciated. Otherwise I will have to go to Canada (Citizen) quarantine for 2 weeks and can then enter Europe with no problems.  I will probably have to quarantine in Warsaw for 2 weeks if I fly from LAX.

Thank you .

On 6/6/2020, 1:23:44, Metall said:

Do you have a source, please?

https://www.wishtv.com/news/latest-covid-19-mutation-may-indicate-the-virus-is-weakening/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/is-the-coronavirus-really-getting-weaker/2020/06/04/5013fcd2-a635-11ea-898e-b21b9a83f792_story.html

https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/could-covid-19-weaken-over-time-local-microbiologist-weighs-in/article_dffaa0ea-a9c7-11ea-936b-f3747ca78635.html

16 hours ago, keith2011 said:

They are lying, I have been waiting for over 6 weeks since the scheduled departure and a month longer than that since the initial notification that the flight had been cancelled. I have raised a dispute with Paypal in the hope I can get the payment back that way.

Yup. We just got our refund this week for a flight in early April that was cancelled by Lufthansa.

12 hours ago, cacilia_1 said:

How did you handle flying with the cats on Lufthansa?  Did they fly with you? Under the seat? In cargo? Or on another plane?

@cacilia_1 As long as you follow their instructions on this website, it is manageable to fly with animals (during normal times, see comment at the end about my experience with current restrictions due to Covid-19):

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/travelling-with-animals

Details of my trip & recommendations:

You must call customer service before booking to make sure the flights you want to go on have room for animals. For my flight there was a total limit of 4 animals in cabin and 4 in cargo – this number depends on size of airplane and destination. The flight I was on was at full capacity for animals.

After you’ve found flights with room for animals, go back and book the flights online. Then immediately call customer service again to reserve space for the animals you want to bring on those flights. (You can probably book flights on the phone too with customer service.) Note that this call to reserve the space for animals will take about 45-50 minutes and they ask for details like breed of the animal, dimensions & weight of carriers, weight of animal, etc.

I flew with 1 cat in the cabin and 1 cat in cargo because international regulations only allow 1 animal per person in cabin. Lufthansa won’t let you buy an extra seat for a cat either (I tried.)

Carefully read and fill out all the paperwork and checklists from the website above.

When you arrive to check in, they will charge you for the animals (cabin = $126, cargo = $218). Arrive to check in early because it takes significantly longer to do the check in with them.

Make sure that your carriers meet the size and weight requirements. If they are too big or too heavy, they will not let you board.

The health certificate requirements for allowing the animals into the EU are strict and Lufthansa checks that you meet the requirements at check in. Make sure you follow the requirements and get all the certifications in time, but not too soon. For example, your animal must have had a rabies vaccination within the last year but no less than 30 days before the flight. Also, they must have an EU-format microchip implanted. US format is different so you will probably have to order the EU format microchip from somewhere online and then bring it to your vet to have it implanted. If your animals already have an EU pet passport with valid rabies vaccination in it & EU microchip, then that is all that is needed for getting into the EU. All of this health documentation will be checked again by customs when you arrive at your destination.

Bring earplugs for your neighbors on the flight as a nice gesture.  My cat yelled bloody murder for the first 2 hours of the flight. :P

Here is the REALLY fun part:  due to Covid, Lufthansa are NOT transferring animals between planes. The claim is that they do not have ground crew capacity to do this. I had to fly in to Munich, pick up the cats, and then take a train to Berlin, even though I had a flight to Berlin already booked and there was room for cats on the flight.

The nice customer service person on the phone AND the people at LAX at check-in called Munich to try to set it up so I could pick up the cat in cargo from baggage and then re-check him in to Berlin, and that was absolutely not allowed.

If you’re lucky, they may have changed this and will be transferring animals between flights by the time you need to come here, but don’t count on it. Animal transport during Covid is constantly changing and Lufthansa is actually one of the very few airlines that are doing it at all right now

Hope this helps!

14 hours ago, ansi said:

@cacilia_1 As long as you follow their instructions on this website, it is manageable to fly with animals (during normal times, see comment at the end about my experience with current restrictions due to Covid-19):

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/travelling-with-animals

Details of my trip & recommendations:

You must call customer service before booking to make sure the flights you want to go on have room for animals. For my flight there was a total limit of 4 animals in cabin and 4 in cargo – this number depends on size of airplane and destination. The flight I was on was at full capacity for animals.

After you’ve found flights with room for animals, go back and book the flights online. Then immediately call customer service again to reserve space for the animals you want to bring on those flights. (You can probably book flights on the phone too with customer service.) Note that this call to reserve the space for animals will take about 45-50 minutes and they ask for details like breed of the animal, dimensions & weight of carriers, weight of animal, etc.

I flew with 1 cat in the cabin and 1 cat in cargo because international regulations only allow 1 animal per person in cabin. Lufthansa won’t let you buy an extra seat for a cat either (I tried.)

Carefully read and fill out all the paperwork and checklists from the website above.

When you arrive to check in, they will charge you for the animals (cabin = $126, cargo = $218). Arrive to check in early because it takes significantly longer to do the check in with them.

Make sure that your carriers meet the size and weight requirements. If they are too big or too heavy, they will not let you board.

The health certificate requirements for allowing the animals into the EU are strict and Lufthansa checks that you meet the requirements at check in. Make sure you follow the requirements and get all the certifications in time, but not too soon. For example, your animal must have had a rabies vaccination within the last year but no less than 30 days before the flight. Also, they must have an EU-format microchip implanted. US format is different so you will probably have to order the EU format microchip from somewhere online and then bring it to your vet to have it implanted. If your animals already have an EU pet passport with valid rabies vaccination in it & EU microchip, then that is all that is needed for getting into the EU. All of this health documentation will be checked again by customs when you arrive at your destination.

Bring earplugs for your neighbors on the flight as a nice gesture.  My cat yelled bloody murder for the first 2 hours of the flight. :P

Here is the REALLY fun part:  due to Covid, Lufthansa are NOT transferring animals between planes. The claim is that they do not have ground crew capacity to do this. I had to fly in to Munich, pick up the cats, and then take a train to Berlin, even though I had a flight to Berlin already booked and there was room for cats on the flight.

The nice customer service person on the phone AND the people at LAX at check-in called Munich to try to set it up so I could pick up the cat in cargo from baggage and then re-check him in to Berlin, and that was absolutely not allowed.

If you’re lucky, they may have changed this and will be transferring animals between flights by the time you need to come here, but don’t count on it. Animal transport during Covid is constantly changing and Lufthansa is actually one of the very few airlines that are doing it at all right now

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. I am flying LA to Warsaw through Frankfurt and have to hope they will transfer my cats to the next plane the next day. Unless things change between now and August, I will only be allowed to travel through Frankfurt to Poland. Otherwise I could just rent a car from Frankfurt and drive to Warsaw.  I am not sure if my work permit for Poland allows me to walk around in Germany or not when flying from the US. Of course, i could as a Canadian, go to Canada, quarantine for 2 weeks from the states and then fly out of any city in Canada. What doesn't kill you, makes you more resourceful.

On 6/27/2020, 12:51:10, ansi said:

As a datapoint, I’m an American and flew into Munich from Los Angeles on Lufthansa with my 2 cats on June 9th. I had zero issues being let back in the country. The immigration officer took one look at the Niederlassungserlaubnis sticker in my US passport, said “Willkommen” and waved me through.

I also had very good experience with Lufthansa after they cancelled my original flights. I was supposed to come back end of April and my rescheduled flights got cancelled multiple times, so I ended up staying about 5 weeks longer than expected. They were very helpful on the phone though, and rebooked everything (including the cats) several times without charge or fuss.

The flight itself had 97 passengers and we all pretty much got our own row. They were very strict about enforcing the mask policy.

I have a work visa for Poland in August and will be flying Lufthansa through Frankfurt from LAX and transfering to Warsaw.  Any help or insight would be appreciated. Otherwise I will have to go to Canada (Citizen) quarantine for 2 weeks and can then enter Europe with no problems.  I will probably have to quarantine in Warsaw for 2 weeks if I fly from LAX.

Thank you .

On 6/6/2020, 1:23:44, Metall said:

Do you have a source, please?

https://www.wishtv.com/news/latest-covid-19-mutation-may-indicate-the-virus-is-weakening/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/is-the-coronavirus-really-getting-weaker/2020/06/04/5013fcd2-a635-11ea-898e-b21b9a83f792_story.html

https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/could-covid-19-weaken-over-time-local-microbiologist-weighs-in/article_dffaa0ea-a9c7-11ea-936b-f3747ca78635.html

I'm trying to help an American PhD student who is supposed to start research work as a microbiologist in Germany.

Even though she has a visa she still can't enter. I believe the sticky point is she doesn't have a residency here yet.

I suggested that she argue that her work is close to health research (one the reasons to enter listed in the regulations for non-EU countries), but she still didn't get an exemption.

EDIT: No, she didn't get a visa yet.