Travel to the US and back.

235 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, snowingagain said:

A vial of Pfizer has five or six adult doses.

This has also been making me angry. They are claiming that it is too difficult to dose 18 doses or whatever from the current formulation, but it seems like this new formulation for children is only there to ensure that Pfizer can continue to charge 15 euros per dose.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

Legal residents are allowed in as well. I've just heard that being clarified on Deutschlandfunk.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

6 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I'm glad to hear this. It is kind of telling that Spahn acted as if no foreign residents of Germany exist and did not immediately correct his tweet. But why did so many news organizations just quote what he said with no fact checking? Do foreign residents really not exist in the minds of the average German? There are more than 10 million of us. Or do people like Spahn just like giving the foreign residents a good scare? I don't want to read too much into this, but it seems telling that his tweet went out within a few days of the declaration by the new coalition that Germany is an Einwanderungsland.

Has anyone travelled to the US recently and had to take a test ? Are the free schnelltests given at various booths around munich valid for US flights ?

On 4/21/2022, 5:40:00, Weevil said:

Has anyone travelled to the US recently and had to take a test ? Are the free schnelltests given at various booths around munich valid for US flights ?

My parents just visited last month from the US and used schnelltests to return. Can’t speak for Munich since we are in the Koblenz area, but the airlines are fine with those tests.

On 4/21/2022, 5:40:00, Weevil said:

Just got back from the US- the free schnelltest at the Munich airport is fine (as are the ones at the booths).

On 4/22/2022, 5:55:32, MollyWolly said:

My parents just visited last month from the US and used schnelltests to return. Can’t speak for Munich since we are in the Koblenz area, but the airlines are fine with those tests.

No test is needed on returning to Germany, just proof of vaccination.

So, we're flying to the Merka in 3 weeks. It seems no tests are needed to enter the US, and US citizens and children under 18 need no proof of vaccination. Is this correct?

Went to the USVI in June.

They wanted proof of vaccination AND a negative test no older than 24hrs.

None of us in the group were US citizens though, so ESTA / full visa.

US GOV site and keep refreshing...

Changes sneak up on you otherwise 😉

Got to the mainland eventually.

No test needed.

No check of the yellow book either.

12 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

So, we're flying to the Merka in 3 weeks. It seems no tests are needed to enter the US, and US citizens and children under 18 need no proof of vaccination. Is this correct?

Correct. I flew back two days after the test requirement was dropped. Nobody asked for anything for the US citizens. My German husband still had to show proof of vaccination to the airline. 

6 hours ago, MollyWolly said:

Correct. I flew back two days after the test requirement was dropped. Nobody asked for anything for the US citizens. My German husband still had to show proof of vaccination to the airline. 

Great. And, for Germany nobody needs anything, right? Travel has become a bit easier again. Now, the issue is the chaos at the airports...

We're flying out of FRA on the las day of school in Hesse, but we're taking the 1:30 flight (as soon as school ends at 10:30, we will take our daughter out from there and rush to the airport) so hopefully we don't catch the rush of school kids who will likely come a bit later.

6 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Great. And, for Germany nobody needs anything, right? Travel has become a bit easier again. Now, the issue is the chaos at the airports...

We're flying out of FRA on the las day of school in Hesse, but we're taking the 1:30 flight (as soon as school ends at 10:30, we will take our daughter out from there and rush to the airport) so hopefully we don't catch the rush of school kids who will likely come a bit later.

I think so, but we are not returning til Friday.

Also, be ready for long lines at Frankfurt everywhere. We had a long wait at United check-in, and there was an extremely long line at passport control. For some reason the electronic lanes were closed so everyone, including EU citizens, had to go to a police officer. At least that meant security was quick because passport control was the bottleneck.

1 hour ago, MollyWolly said:

I think so, but we are not returning til Friday.

Also, be ready for long lines at Frankfurt everywhere. We had a long wait at United check-in, and there was an extremely long line at passport control. For some reason the electronic lanes were closed so everyone, including EU citizens, had to go to a police officer. At least that meant security was quick because passport control was the bottleneck.

Crap. So 2.5 hours before the flight would be cutting it close. Any fast tracking for families with children?

Also, I heard you can check in your bag the day before. Any idea how this works?

7 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Crap. So 2.5 hours before the flight would be cutting it close. Any fast tracking for families with children?

Also, I heard you can check in your bag the day before. Any idea how this works?

2.5 hours would have been close for us. We have a 3 month old, and they let us and another family with a stroller go through the crew lane at passport control. They did not let in a different family with kids of walking age. Who knows why they closed the automatic lanes - if they hadn’t, it woulda been much faster.