Black BAME and POC supporters of Trump

824 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

People are telling you that you need to stop Germansplaining prejudice against POC. You keep insisting that it's your right to do so and demand that they ignore you. It is not your place to make that demand.

I´m not even sure what you mean by Germansplaining. Nor do I have any prejudice against anyone because of the level of pigmentation. So your claim that I´m demanding to spread (if that´s what germanslapining is supposed to mean) is baseless.

@Lorelei I recently stumbled across an ebay cat ad that explicitly stated it would not consider re-homing the cat to an Ausländer.  

Like, how deep does it have to run to deny a cat to someone based on their... appearance?  Would she have been fine with a German-born Turk (judging from the language of the ad--unlikely)?

37 minutes ago, engelchen said:

No, @bramble has no problem understanding.

No idea what you´re referring to. Did I say she has a problem understanding? And what?

30 minutes ago, engelchen said:

. The problem is you and your xenophobia and ignorance.

Ignorance maybe. On a lot of issues - but who isn´t? Xenophobia - no.

31 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I just have to ask again, what are you doing on a forum for foreigners in Germany?

I find this the most useful of all the forums I´m visiting. I also learned quite a bit on here about how Germany can be seen and experienced from different viewpoints to mine. Lot´s of knowledgeable people here (including yourself - unfortunately, you´re a bit rude for my liking though).

34 minutes ago, engelchen said:

As a German not even living in Germany you don't belong here (and are not wanted by most of us who do).

I doubt that. Just check my posting history.

35 minutes ago, bramble said:

Your cultural norms? From way back when? I assume from many posts of yours that you are an older person, just like me, maybe a bit younger. Culture changes constantly - also the German culture - and you seem to be stuck in some kind of time warp. Unlike me. 

I was born in the 50ies. Some of the change I experienced I like - some not so much. I don´t think though that I´m extremely backward minded. Sometimes even borderline progressive. E. g. at the time I took years of parental leave (even though I earned more than my wife) that was basically unheard of. Same when I reported my boss (head of the department of a University hospital) to the police for violating labour laws by ordering us to do unpaid overtime.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

The accepted term changed some time in the late 90s/early 00s when the gubmint was trying to fuck over First Nations people by not honoring treaties based on the term they used to describe themselves.  i.e. This treaty guarantees such-and-such to "Indians" and not to "Native Americans" (the PC term from the second half of the 20th century).  In the end they settled on American Indian, which differs from Indian-American (a person with "East" Indian heritage either born or naturalized in the US)

That may well be - but hardly anybody in Germany will know this. Therefore, the use of the term "Indianer" is completely innocuous and being accused of racism for using it annoying. And there are more examples like that.

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

That may well be - but hardly anybody in Germany will know this. Therefore, the use of the term "Indianer" is completely innocuous and being accused of racism for using it annoying. And there are more examples like that.

No, this is wrong. You are using yourself and your circle of friends as dispositive. A quick google of relevant search terms will show that this is a widely discussed topic and, therefore, known and understood by Germans who are actually concerned with showing basic respect to other races and ethnicities.

Here's the thing, there is an expectation of continuous learning from all human beings by all other human beings. This is one of the most enduring tenets of social contracts in democracies. Your brain is not stone and can absorb this information, even if it is new to you.

@jeba I don't know if I agree that it is "completely" innocuous (and I mean that--I don't know)--but I can definitely see where its use is just as "annoying" as being accused of racism because of it.

Check this out: ACKTCHERLY, I am of the "Oregon Trail Generation".  We grew up during a time of massive change and most of those changes were fairly simple to adapt to; that being said, we never had to fight for anything, and simply agreed with everything we thought was right.  One part of that--for me--is accepting that I may have offended someone without intending to.

Now, because of my strange generational gap and general thirst for The Truth :lol: there are some "norms" coming out of "my" camp that I take issue with, and some with which I wholeheartedly agree.  We're in a funny place, but generally I have been a sort of outsider my entire life and it does't look to be changing any time within my lifetime. So.  With that in mind--I make up my own damn mind.  Period.

Someone tells you, I feel offended when you call it a Nigger Kiss.  Then stop.  OK?  Forget it, what is actually at stake?  Your right to offend others?  That's not something you actually want to fight for, its it?  Of course not.  Someone says, American Indians are not reduced to the figures you see in 40-year-old movies, you don't say, "it's my right to see them that way!" do you?  No, you quietly wipe your mouth and carry on.  Shit changes and you don't have to agree with or understand all of it!  But don't defend things to which people are offended, just button your lip and see what happens.  Well, that's what I've been doing for the last decade, in any case. 

46 minutes ago, jeba said:

For the record, THIS is exactly what I mean by Germansplaining. 

And there are more examples like that.

44 minutes ago, jeba said:

The opinion I offered, way back on Page 4, which started this particular conversation, was, „Germans are unconsciously racist.“

If a person, upon learning that a term he has been using is viewed by the people it refers to as a racist epithet, then says, „Well, *I* think it‘s completely innocuous, and I find it annoying that you tell me otherwise,“ that person has become consciously racist.

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

The opinion I offered, way back on Page 4, which started this particular conversation, was, „Germans are unconsciously racist.“

If a person, upon learning that a term he has been using is viewed by the people it refers to as a racist epithet, then says, „Well, *I* think it‘s completely innocuous, and I find it annoying that you tell me otherwise,“ that person has become consciously racist.

Or sexist, or ableist, or heterosexist...

I'm never sure what makes people feel like they can give themselves a pass from showing other people basic respect and then not have to deal with the consequences of that lack of respect. And, before it comes up, no, insulting one person for their personal behavior or posts is not the same as willfully denigrating entire groups of people.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Someone tells you, I feel offended when you call it a Nigger Kiss.  Then stop.  OK?  Forget it, what is actually at stake?  Your right to offend others?  That's not something you actually want to fight for, its it?  Of course not.  

This is a pretty damn good example, I would actually know what @jeba thinks about using the word Negerkuss AFTER knowing plenty of people find it offensive.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

For the record, THIS is what I mean by Germansplaining. 

And what´s wrong with it?

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

No, this is wrong. You are using yourself and your circle of friends as dispositive. A quick google of relevant search terms will show that this is a widely discussed topic and, therefore, known and understood by Germans who are actually concerned with showing basic respect to other races and ethnicities.

Do you think the average German will google what words of his native language, the meanings of which are obvious to him,  might mean to foreigners before he talks?

In which he not-so-subtly transitioned from Germansplaining to jebasplaining, where he's just completely wrong and refuses to consider why, no matter how many well-intentioned people try to show him the error of his ways.

FFS.

48 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

What nonsense. With that attitude you´ll only reinforce AfD supporters in their xenophobia.

1 minute ago, jeba said:

Do you think the average German will google what words of his native language, the meanings of which are obvious to him,  might mean to foreigners before he talks?

Do you think the average German is trying so hard to offend people that they won't just accept the statement of the affected party and move the fuck on with that greater knowledge, respecting the wishes of the affected party?

19 minutes ago, Krieg said:

This is a pretty damn good example, I would actually know what @jeba thinks about using the word Negerkuss AFTER knowing plenty of people find it offensive.

Where I´m from they´re called Mohrenkopf, not Negerkuss. Now I wouldn´t use it in the presence of someone who might feel offended. But otherwise I will, because that´s what is natural to me. Just as I speak of Blondinenwitze, Ostfriesenwitze, Österreicherwitze and call my friend by his nickname of "Ossi". It would feel unnatural to me to relearn my native language. If you think that makes me a racist - so be it.

5 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Do you think the average German is trying so hard to offend people that they won't just accept the statement of the affected party and move the fuck on with that greater knowledge, respecting the wishes of the affected party?

You don´t get it. Indianer has no negative connotation in German language. It´s just reminiscent of the fact that Columbus thought he had discovered the route to India when he landed in America.