Black BAME and POC supporters of Trump

568 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, jeba said:

It wouldn´t even be bad manners in my book.

Which only serves to underscore your xenophobia and ignorance.

I just have to ask again, what are you doing on a forum for foreigners in Germany? As a German not even living in Germany you don't belong here (and are not wanted by most of us who do).

9 minutes ago, jeba said:

Because you stand out if you´re looking different from 95% of the remaining population so the odds are that you´re a foreigner? But so what - I fail to see the problem. Is looking foreign a bad thing?

I am pretty sure in Germany there are more german born turkish than turkish tourists on the streets in Germany.   Still the best those German turkish get is to be called "German with foreign background", to emphasize they are not real germans. 

P.S., When I explain non-Germans what "Deutscher mit migrationshintergrund" means most times I get a WTF answer.

14 minutes ago, jeba said:

you stand out if you´re looking different from 95% of the remaining population so the odds are

I have almost never seen prejudice defined better on TT.

51 minutes ago, jeba said:

It wouldn´t even be bad manners in my book.

But it definitely is. If someone says "I'm American" and sounds American that should be enough. Digging further is bad manners, especially if that person is not offering further information of their own accord. 

49 minutes ago, jeba said:

Because you stand out if you´re looking different from 95% of the remaining population so the odds are that you´re a foreigner? But so what - I fail to see the problem. Is looking foreign a bad thing?

You don't get the point that the person who looks different has grown up here and speaks with a local accent is not a foreigner and finds the question offensive. 

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

P.S., Many years ago I worked in a project in Argentina and the project manager had a complicated German last name, difficult to pronounce for Spanish speakers, something with W, like Wohlgemuth, or Wullenweber, or something like that.  Everyone called him "Doble-u-punto", double-u-dot, (W.), but no one doubted his Argentinianness. 

Actually, he could have been Jewish: plenty of Argentinians/Brazilians/Mexicans in Israel with Ashkenazi last names (which sound similar to German).

Advantage of living in a immigrant country: everyone has "Migrationshintergrund". It was better in 1950-1960s when there were very few native Hebrew speakers, so everyone had an accent. I guess, in 100 years this atmosphere of welcoming immigrants will be gone, and Israel will elect its own Trump, but by then I will be dead.

There are only two countries in the world which truly welcome immigrants: Israel (but only those with Jewish heritage) and Canada.

16 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

There are only two countries in the world which truly welcome immigrants: Israel (but only those with Jewish heritage)

So they truly welcome immigrants as long as they`re Jewish somewhere along the line.Not exactly what I`d call truly welcoming immigrants.

2 hours ago, bramble said:

And it seems to be quite important to them. I think a lot of it is gueswork. Why is it important to state that one has Swedish, German, Italian or whatever heritage after a few hundred years of being American? It means nothing because we Europeans or also a mixture of many generations of invasions, conquests, displacements, expulsions etc. from way, way back in history. 

Genealogy is a huge area of interest in the US and the databases are always improving.  It’s a fact finding mission, detective work, putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle. My mother, a retired high school history teacher, has done extensive research many generations back and knows the specific towns and regions individual family members came from.  She has letters people wrote to each other, family bibles, birth certificates, ...  She’s met relatives all over the world in the process, both on the internet and in person.  There are worse ways to spend one’s time.

23 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I guess, in 100 years this atmosphere of welcoming immigrants will be gone, and Israel will elect its own Trump

Is the corrupt, racist, constantly button-pushing Netanyahu not already Israel's Trump?

31 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Is the corrupt, racist, constantly button-pushing Netanyahu not already Israel's Trump?

No. He is smart and a good manipulator, so he knows how to talk to Trump to gain his 100% support.

He is a populist, too, but don't you dare to compare a country in a permanent state of war, wanted to be wiped off the map by some its neighbors, with the country where "immigrants are taking our jobs". I would support "Palestinian lives matter", but I don't want to be blown up in the bus one day. Here my left wing views end.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Which only serves to underscore your xenophobia and ignorance.

What does it have to do with xenophobia? I´m merely applying my cultural norms.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

I just have to ask again, what are you doing on a forum for foreigners in Germany? As a German not even living in Germany you don't belong here (and are not wanted by most of us who do).

If you don´t like my posts feel free to ignore them.

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

No. He is smart and a good manipulator, so he knows how to talk to Trump to gain his 100% support.

I see you ignored the part about the corruption.

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

He is a populist, too, but don't you dare to compare a country in a permanent state of war, wanted to be wiped off the map by some its neighbors, with the country where "immigrants are taking our jobs". I would support "Palestinian lives matter", but I don't want to be blown up in the bus one day. Here my left wing views end.

I'll thank you to refrain from telling me "don't you dare" to do anything. The "permanent state of war" line is something I've heard my whole life, having grown up in a Jewish household, but I've witnessed brutality against Palestinians first-hand on each of my 3 trips to Israel. Whenever there was the potential for progress toward a peaceful settlement in recent years, Netanyahu decided to throw a spanner in the works by doubling down on the persecution and brutality. The parallels to Black Lives Matter are undeniable.

Or do you think the government's plans to permanently annex the West Bank will calm things down?

18 minutes ago, jeba said:

If you don´t like my posts feel free to ignore them.

That's not how the Internet works. If you can't take the justified criticism of the tone-deafness of your posts, don't post.

48 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

That's not how the Internet works. If you can't take the justified criticism of the tone-deafness of your posts, don't post.

What justified criticism are you talking about? And if I understood correctly even seems to be an ignore function - so the internet seems to work like that. What do you mean by tone-deafness btw.?

He said, tone-deafened.

People are telling you that you need to stop Germansplaining prejudice against POC. You keep insisting that it's your right to do so and demand that they ignore you. It is not your place to make that demand.

So I repeat: If you don't like the criticism of your posts, don't post.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

I see you ignored the part about the corruption.

So what? Corruption is the reality of life (not only) in the Middle East. Israel has a functioning judiciary system, it's up to them to press charges and convict.  If he is found guilty, he goes to jail. The problem is that you do not apply the same high moral standard to the other sides of the conflict.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

The "permanent state of war" line is something I've heard my whole life, having grown up in a Jewish household, but I've witnessed brutality against Palestinians first-hand on each of my 3 trips to Israel

So you admit you know nothing being a tourist with zero knowledge about the conflict. I have been there, too.

Whenever there was the potential for progress toward a peaceful settlement in recent years, Netanyahu decided to throw a spanner in the works by doubling down on the persecution and brutality.

He also was the one who supported Israeli disengament from Gaza in 2005. As a result rockets are being fired from there permanently. He wants everyone to forget this and you also support him with this.

Or do you think the government's plans to permanently annex the West Bank will calm things down?

In the long run, yes. I don't seen any realistic alternative. Do you?

Palestinians are better off with being governed by corrupt Israelis than by corrupt Palestinians with the permanent danger of coup d'etat by fundamentalists.

14 hours ago, bramble said:

Probably Volksdeutsche. It's complicated history. Many Germans from way back emigrated to the east to Poland, Russia etc. in the same way many Germans emigrated to America. Over the centuries they kept their family names, culture and language alive. Then the war happened and ...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksdeutsche#'Volksdeutsche'_in_German-occupied_western_Poland. Many returned to Germany as did my former neighbours who were Volksdeutsche from Russia. They spoke perfect German but with an unfamiliar accent. 

I know about the Volksdeutsche and thought about Russians as well, but I am in actual fact talking about Polish Poles with very Polish first and last names, many of whom however did either learn German during school or studied it in university.  Husband's family are Germans who were repatriated to Germany from Hungary after the war, so I am somewhat familiar with the German diaspora, as it were.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Do you really think people are any different re stereotypes anywhere else in the world?

No.  We're not talking about the entire world, but, for my part, the answer is no.  I'm quite aware that stereotypes and racism are present in literally every place, country and society in the world.  I hope nothing I personally said could be construed otherwise--people be racist, the enlightened be pondering, and are usually in the minority--wherever they may find themselves.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

What´s wrong with Indianer? And I´ve never heard anyone talking of squaw and can only guess what Nafri means. And I´m German, born and raised in Germany and have lived there for 50 years.

The accepted term changed some time in the late 90s/early 00s when the gubmint was trying to fuck over First Nations people by not honoring treaties based on the term they used to describe themselves.  i.e. This treaty guarantees such-and-such to "Indians" and not to "Native Americans" (the PC term from the second half of the 20th century).  In the end they settled on American Indian, which differs from Indian-American (a person with "East" Indian heritage either born or naturalized in the US)

"Indianer", for us, is a caricature in a Western movie.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

depends on who you ask, but assumptions are likely to be made, even by those with the "best" intentions.  Source: my experience as a visible foreigner since 2006 in the German capital

3 hours ago, bramble said:

But it definitely is. If someone says "I'm American" and sounds American that should be enough. Digging further is bad manners, especially if that person is not offering further information of their own accord. 

See, I think it's a matter of language.  I think people are simply not familiar with the terms they want to use.  If someone would be bold enough to ask me my "ethnic background", I'd be happy enough to tell them everything they want to know.  I'm not insulted.  But because in actual fact I AM descended from slaves, it is incredibly insulting to insinuate that I am less entitled to be American than the people who literally built the fucking place with their blood, sweat, tears and lives.  My people built that country, ALL of my people, I'm happy to tell you about it, as I am also both a.) nosy and b.) interested in history, but don't tell me I don't "look" American.  Then the person can go fuck themselves :) 

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

There are only two countries in the world which truly welcome immigrants: Israel (but only those with Jewish heritage) and Canada.

There are definitely worse places in the world for a Jewish person than the US and where I come from a person who speaks GOOD ENOUGH English is accepted as an American.  If you've got the passport, we (in my hometown anyway) see you as an American.  Yes, questions about your heritage may follow, but you're not considered less "American" than people who don't look like you.  Again, could be just the bubble I grew up in but this thing of people being born in a country but not being considered to be at home was new to me when I came here.  I guess because in the US if you're born there, you're American, no questions asked. So ethnicity appears to interest people less when it comes to how one personally identifies.

3 hours ago, bramble said:

1 hour ago, jeba said:

No, @bramble has no problem understanding. The problem is you and your xenophobia and ignorance.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Your cultural norms? From way back when? I assume from many posts of yours that you are an older person, just like me, maybe a bit younger. Culture changes constantly - also the German culture - and you seem to be stuck in some kind of time warp. Unlike me. 

15 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

"südländer" :angry:

A good example of a euphemistically racist expression. It reminds me of a similarly euphemistically xenophobic expression. When looking for accommodation in Austria in the 1990s, I remember finding that adverts often said "Nur Inländer". Austrians being polite even while being xenophobic.

It looks as if it's still going on but is now against the law and on the wane. An article from January this year:

Wenn "keine Muslime" als Mieter erwünscht sind

In Österreich ist die Diskriminierung aufgrund des Geschlechts und der ethnischen Zugehörigkeit bei der Wohnungssuche verboten. Nachweisen lässt sie sich aber nur schwer. Ausnahmen gibt es. Dann etwa, wenn der Vermieter schon im Inserat klarstellt, welche Mieter er sich wünscht – oder welche eben nicht. "Keine Ausländer", "keine Moslems", "keine Flüchtlinge", "nur Inländer" oder "nur EU-Bürger" lesen Wohnungssuchende dann neben Details zu Miethöhe und Wohnungsgröße.

Wer auf solche Inserate stößt, kann Anzeige bei der Bezirksverwaltungsbehörde erstatten. Für Inserenten gibt es dann eine Mahnung, im Wiederholungsfall eine Verwaltungsstrafe bis zu 360 Euro. Auch die Gleichbehandlungsanwaltschaft zeigt solche Inserate an, wenn sie ihr gemeldet werden. Die Bereichsleiterin Ines Grabner-Drews beobachtet dabei in den letzten Jahren einen Rückgang. "Die Profis wissen mittlerweile, dass das verboten ist", sagt sie. Zur Sensibilisierung arbeitet die Gleichbehandlungsanwaltschaft auch mit Maklern zusammen. Am ehesten würden solche Inserate von privaten Vermietern in regionalen Medien geschaltet – mitunter ganz ohne Unrechtsbewusstsein.