Black BAME and POC supporters of Trump

679 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, bramble said:

Well, I think the broadcaster should look up Duden before using the term. Although at one time the word Neger was considered neutral, it is now increaslngly considered derogatory in various Germanic languages.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro#Germanic_languages

I haven't heard the word Zigeuner used in a long time because the Sinti and Roma successfully lobbied against it's use. As far as I know black people in Germany are also lobbying against the use of Neger. A Deutschlandfunk link:

https://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/petition-zum-verbot-des-n-wortes-gestartet-es-ist.1008.de.html?dram:article_id=466546

From your link (deepl-translated):

"We want to let people know that this word is an insult to us, no matter what it is meant. It doesn't matter how the sender means it, but how the receiver takes it."

Isn´t that a textbook pattern of auto aggressiveness?

1 hour ago, Namu said:

There are many more native speakers than you. I am one and I tell you that the word is discriminatory and should not be used. As bramble said: Please stop definding the usage of that word and please adapt to modern times.

It's very authoritarian and controlling to tell other people what words they should and should not use.

40 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, it isn´t. It´s probably the biggest public radio broadcaster and is  based in Cologne.

I wouldn´t use the word Neger if I was speaking to someone I knew could be offended by it. However, I have no problem asking for a Mohrenkopf (as Negerküsse are called where I come from). My point is that you can´t paint people using these words without any intending to discriminate anyone as racist. That drive towards political correctness annoys me (thinking of "gerndering" as well). It smells like the Nazi´s language purification efforts when they tried to replace e. g. "Nase" with "Gesichtserker" or Motor with "Knallgastreibling".

How do you know if someone you talk to is offened by the word? Do you do a survey before you open your mouth? Or do you use it no matter what and wait till the other one turns red in the face?

36 minutes ago, GerardB said:

It's very authoritarian and controlling to tell other people what words they should and should not use.

It is cruel to go on offending people knowingly. So I have no sympathies for you or jeba playing the oppressed.

42 minutes ago, GerardB said:

People should accept the consequences of using certain words.

I know a couple of people if you used the word neger in respect to them they`d probably end up decking you.

At which you or Jeba would then scream about how unfair it is and typical immigrants.

What I really cannot understand in this whole argument is why is it so difficult not to use various words,what difference does it make to you.

When I was kid disabled people used to be called spastics and to call someone who wasn`t disabled a spastic was an insult.However that word came to be seen as offensive to disabled people (even though it has been used for many years).

Now the word is not used at all,even the disabled charity changed its name.Yet the world still goes on,people don`t feel oppressed by not using that word.

1 hour ago, GerardB said:

t's very authoritarian and controlling to tell other people what words they should and should not use.

It's also called "parenting" or "schooling" or "manners" or "civil".

43 minutes ago, catjones said:

It's also called "parenting" or "schooling" or "manners" or "civil".

Adults don't like being "parented" or "schooled". They find it "patronising".

2 hours ago, Namu said:

How do you know if someone you talk to is offened by the word?

I take note of the colour of their skin.

2 hours ago, Namu said:

It is cruel to go on offending people knowingly. So I have no sympathies for you or jeba playing the oppressed.

What part of

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I wouldn´t use the word Neger if I was speaking to someone I knew could be offended by it

did you not understand?

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

I take note of the colour of their skin.

What about if they have mixed race parents ?

Or they`re married to a POC ?

Seriously is it really that hard and oppressive just to not use the word ?

If I`d called you a cunt a couple of hundred years ago it wouldn`t have meant anything,but should I still do that now ?

Words and their accepted meanings change over time.

1 hour ago, GerardB said:

Adults don't like being "parented" or "schooled". They find it "patronising".

Had adults been "parented" or "schooled", they would be "mannered" and "civil".  Apparently, you were neither and thus are neither.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

What part of

did you not understand?

On 6/29/2020, 6:54:25, claudeyc said:

On 6/22/2020, 2:07:28, claudeyc said:

OMG jeba. I am so sorry. I actually overestimated you. I thought you'd know that there are white native German speakers who are offened if someone uses rude and discriminatory words in their presence.

21 minutes ago, Namu said:

I thought you'd know that there are white native German speakers who are offened if someone uses rude and discriminatory words in their presence.

I have yet to meet one.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Seriously is it really that hard and oppressive just to not use the word ?

The word Neger isn´t much of a problem to avoid because it´s outdated anyway. But there are word compositions like Negerkuss, Negerlein ("10 kleine Negerlein...") or other allegedly discriminatory words like Mohr which are still in use and which to avoid would take a conscious effort. Which I would be reminded of making if I was talking to a black or coloured person but not when talking to Caucasians. And I don´t feel like being constantly on the watch to make sure someone doesn´t feel insulted even if I had no intention of insulting them. If someone had a problem with that (which for the last 63 years I haven´t experienced) I´d explain that I had no intention of insulting and apologise for accientally having done so. But as I said - it has still to happen to me. So you´re making mounains of molehills.

9 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

In fact, not many English speakers bother here anymope either.

Can't use bond. He is a white patriarchal colonial oppressor remember?

Is there now a list of stuff we can't say anymore?

"We"? Not sure which "we" you mean. "Hun" possibly?

As for your question itself, you cannot say

1. Candyman

2. Voldemort

3. Faith [not "belief"] (in German - because it doesn't exist)

Actually scratch that. You are allowed to say Candyman three more times only. Keep an eye on your diction while you do it.

9 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

In fact, not many English speakers bother here anymope either.

Can't use bond. He is a white patriarchal colonial oppressor remember?

Is there now a list of stuff we can't say anymore?

Kettle of fish, in a way. I wonder if LukeSkywalker on this forum knows the term „ Dutch courage „ and whether it offends him.

It is clear to me racial sensitivities are only to be expected , given the history of slavery, oppression and dehumanisation of black people ( including amongst the „ Moors „, to use an old term for Arabs and which I presume is behind the German word „ Mohr.“)

I followed a Black Tunisian woman on the BBC today and who was protesting about how Tunisians look down on and discriminate against black Tunisians.

https://www.arab-reform.net/publication/facing-up-to-racism-in-tunisia-interview-with-khawla-ksiksi/

And not very pleasant for some African Americans in China, either: https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-06-12/racism-against-african-americans-china-escalates-amid-coronavirus

Is it only me or am I the only one who doesn‘t like the word „ coloured“? That sounds to me like a child‘s crayon filling in a page on the way to the next page with a different picture to crayon on.

What is wrong with black, white, brown and the rest of it? 
People are not coloured like butterflies or flowers.

Just don‘t discriminate because someone is a different „ colour „ to you. Jeez, we humans can be such morons.