Best car rental company, liability insurance, trip outside Germany

5 posts in this topic

I've done some math and now I'm thinking about renting a car instead of having my own.

Here's my goal: rent a car every once in a while and use it both in Germany and outside of Germany. I don't want to worry about the car being damaged in any way or stolen, or to be more specific, I don't want to be financially responsible for that.

I've done some research and I know that rental companies ask up to 25 euros per day for excess damage insurance and it does or doesn't cover losing the car, sounds expensive.

So here are my questions:

1. Which car rental companies are worth mentioning? (Not problematic, good service, nice cars with a reasonable price)
2. Where can I get an insurance that would cover any damage or loss of rented car with a competitive price per year? (Insurance would have to work in Germany, Poland and other European countries and cover anything starting from 1 euro damage to car loss)

Does anyone use a rented car like I wish to do and could recommend something?

I don't want to rent a car and use it carelessly while not being afraid of it's costs but the whole point is to save time, money and sleep well and since my neighbor's wheels were stolen in a family neighborhood, I wouldn't sleep well with a rented car parked on the street :ph34r:

I have Selbstbeteiligung insurance with Car Assure, I do not know if it is good because I haven't use it yet.  The idea is you take the cheapest insurance from the car rent, usually this cheaper insurance is included in the basic price, and then if you have an accident your SB-insurance will pay for your copayment.

I always rented from Avis when I lived in Germany. By default they have 950 euro SB which was fine with me, so I did not bother paying for its reduction. I agree with Krieg that it is financially smarter to buy SB insurance from third party rather than paying the rental company.

In the last trip (before Corona) there was no Avis at my destination airport (Memmingen), so I rented from Europcar. I don't remember which SB they have, something around 500 euro. For trips outside Germany I bought a towing insurance - a no brainer you need that.

So in example I could rent a car from Avis with basic insurance with 950 euro deductible, pay 80 euro per year for deductible insurance from carassure  and as a result I would be fully covered (they pay up to 3000 and with Avis I'm responsible up to 950)?  Carassure (and I believe other companies) will not cover things that rental company does not cover (i.e. rental company doesn't insure windshield damage so carassure also will not cover it), having that in mind, are there companies known for limited coverage of their insurance?

Another thing, from carassure FAQ:

Der Versicherer leistet nicht, wenn

• der Versicherungsnehmer und/oder der Mieter den Schaden vorsätzlich und widerrechtlich herbeigeführt haben. Bei grob fahrlässig verursachten Schäden verzichtet der Versicherer darauf, die Leistung zu kürzen. Das gilt nicht, wenn das (Carsharing-) Mietkraftfahrzeug gestohlen wird oder das Schadenereignis eine Folge von Alkoholgenuss oder anderer berauschender Mittel ist. Die Kürzung erfolgt in einem der Schwere des Verschuldens entsprechenden Verhältnis

It's said that there's no coverage if damage is done intentionally and illegally. Does it mean that if I was speeding and caused an accident I have no coverage or it's really 'intentionally AND illegally caused the damage', both have to be true to withdraw the coverage so I'm speeding but naturally crashing the car isn't my intention therefore I'm covered?

A little offtopic, as for the towing if I would be ADAC member, are their services assigned to a person or to a car? Will they assist whatever car I'm driving or will they assist a specific car whoever is driving it? Or maybe will they assist only if a specific person is driving a specific car?