How loud is too loud on a Sunday evening?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

So we live in this small village north of Munich, in a 2 level house with two apartments, one at the ground floor and one (ours) on the first and second floor. On the second floor there is one big room with a washroom. 

My huisband (today, a Sunday, at around 8;30 pm), decided to listen to loud music and play with the baby (3 year old Tazmanian devil). The music is loud upstairs (I can hear it from here, first floor) but if you are outside, you can hear if the windows are open. The baby decided to jump around, and I can hear his jumps from here. 

I am writing you because the old bitter neighbour downstairs got very bothered by this (either by the music or his jumps) and decided to ring the bell for the last minute. I told my husband to turn the music lower, which he did a bit, but he says she (the neighbour) got all pissed because of the jumping (although the jumping happened on the second floor). 

My question is the following: can my husband do this on a Sunday? I doubt the music was too loud. He says it is his right, and that the baby jumping was on the second floor, and that she exaggerates. When my hubby went to speak with her, she did not open her door. So I am not sure what exactly got her to worked up. 

So how loud is too loud?

Thank you

I live in apartment building in Munich and according to our contract, Sundays and holidays are Ruhetage (quiet days), when we are supposed to avoid activities that can be heard outside of our apartment. That would certainly include loud music and jumping, probably even loud conversations. In other words, the same rules that are in effect from 22:00 to 07:00, but for the entire day.

I am far from an expert in these matters, but it certainly sounds to me like your husband went too far.

Today, it is Whit Sunday. This is a Catholic  silent public holiday, so no loud music allowed. No dancing and jumping around.

@daneelo is right. Your husband needs to moderate. One thing is to have a child that makes noise while playing. The other is having a careless adult who doesn't give a shit about neighbors.

Regarding "how loud is too loud", of course there is legislation on that, but that requires a professional measurement to quantify it. But that is not needed, a complain by the neighbor is enough. Just tell your husband to stop being an asshole.

28 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Today, it is Whit Sunday. This is a Catholic  silent public holiday, so no loud music allowed. No dancing and jumping around.

Die Stillen Feiertage in Bayern

Aschermittwoch - 26.2.2020
Karfreitag, Karsamstag - 10/11.4.2020 (0.00 - 24.00 Uhr)
Gründonnerstag - 9.4.2020 
Reformationstag 31.10.2020
Allerheiligen - 1.11.2020
Volkstrauertag - 15.11.2020
Buß- und Bettag - 18.11.2020 (Kinder haben an diesem Tag schulfrei)
Totensonntag 22.11.2020
Heiligabend 24.12.2020

Here in BW Pfingsten Montag is a silent day.  However, Sundays are Sundays of course, and they are all kind of quiet days.  And always good to apologise about noise to neighbours.  We live next to a modern Catholic church.  They have terrible electronic faux church bell stuff not melodic, more pots and pans being bashed around.  Have grown fond of it anyway.  3 times a day for the Angelus.

1 hour ago, Ana1984 said:

I am writing you because the old bitter neighbour downstairs got very bothered by this (either by the music or his jumps) and decided to ring the bell for the last minute. 

She actually sounds quite reasonable to me. She probably became bitter after y’all moved in. 😂

1 hour ago, Ana1984 said:

He says it is his right, and that the baby jumping was on the second floor, and that she exaggerates. When my hubby went to speak with her, she did not open her door.

Well, thank goodness.

When we occasionally visited Paps in his 4th floor flat in a block with no children 13 years ago, our 4 were between 4yo and 11, and I did everything I could to stop them moving around - we had a rug and all the playmo dino sets to encourage them to sit and play. Kid#3 who was 5, it turns out only moved by jumping, which I hadn't realised in our usual detached house setting, and we spent a lot of time outdoors with her.

Whilst living somewhere permanently is different to visiting, still a thoughtful person is not going to make literally as much noise as they possibly can when other people live beneath them. Rights/responsibilities - he is overstating his rights, and way underestimating his responsibilities.