Maintaining Blue Card or PR for 12 months

2 posts in this topic

I have been working here in Germany for almost three years under a blue card, and away from my family and friend for almost 8 years (of which 4 years in the UK). Now I'm planning to take a time off and leaving Germany for one year (for a country outside the EU) and spend as much time as possible with family and friends, then probably come back and continue working/living here. I discussed this with my employer, and he said that he is open to the idea of me working remotely for one year. 

I read that the blue card can be maintained 12 months after leaving, and probably the same settlement permit (PR) received from a blue card (please correct if I'm wrong).

I would like to get your opinion about the feasibility of my plans, would it be possible to spend a year outside Germany then come back? What should I keep in mind while planning this, would it be possible to not continue paying my health insurance, broadcast fees, taxes, rent ... while being away? and would it be better to opt for a PR or would renewing my blue card be more suitable for my plans? should I de-register? would it help to come spend a couple of days every now and then during this one year?

Side note: Although my plans are for next year, I'm also thinking about start selling my furniture starting from now, as I read it is very hard to sell used furniture in Germany and people chose to give it away instead. I plan to rent a new place after coming back. Any advice about this would also be appreciated.

Hi,

for sure can be done. Of course, some negative people will say no. But it can be done.

What is favorable in your case is that your company agrees on working remotely, so that is a plus.

You will need to ask for "permission" from the authorities, so you better contact an immigration lawyer to help you writing a good letter and helping you with this process.

Alternatively if you have the budget for it, you can go to visit friends and family for 5 months came back for a couple of months and do it again.

Good luck!