Wife as Kleine Unternehmen passed the 17,500 but I do the Elster for both of us

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've been reading a lot the past two days and there is a lot of info here on this web site that I wanted to thank you about. The wealth of info in here is positively overwhelming in a good way.

My wife and I are both freelancers.

We opened both of our activities and registered them in October 2019.

We started making invoices.

In January 2020 we calculate our taxes and do everything with SteuerGo and Elster. We did not use an accountant.

I did not pass the 17,500 but my wife did (the calculation was: total made in [October+November+December] / 3 * 12) and she resulted over 17,500.

I did the whole tax declaration using SteuerGo and Elster but we realized that from this year she will have to charge VAT. In fact, since January 2020 she started adding +19 MwSt to her invoices. Even if unfortunately they were only a few because in January the COVID19 issues were already heavy in her field of work, even if the real bad situation started here in March.

Now, I realized something that we might have missed:

1) Does she have to tell the Finanzamt "Hey, I did surpass 17,500 so I am now officially a Freiberufler that charges MwSt). If yes, which form is it and how to do it? Can I do it through my Elster? I do have my certificate and my taxes did include her and the family as a combination of the both of us (we have 3 Steuernr., one is for me, one for her and one as a family.. at least this is what the Finanzamt gave us :)).

2) Can I do her quarterly VAT declaration through my own certificate in Elster? Or does she have to open up a certificate of her own and use it?

These are the two main questions, I apologize in advance if this looks like a mess to you and if more questions are going to come up from your replies. Thanks in advance,

Ok I am replying myself since I have new information.

I found in my ELSTER account (I put in the certificate + the password and got in) that I have the possibility of filling the Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung Formular. I can do it for me BUT I can also do it for a third person, in this case my wife. I did input her data as a secondary person (Steuernr. SteuerIDNr. etc. etc.) and she's now registered and I have the form ready.

My question is now somewhat simpler:

Is there any guide you would suggest to fill this? It's 10 pages but it's not too hard, however some of the nomenclature is difficult for a first-timer like I am.

My wife simply writes invoices for linguistic services she does. There might be one of these possibilities, no more:

- MwSt that she charges to an individual

- Invoices that are to companies with EU (she has a DE.. MwStID) and are there for MwSt-exempt

- Invoices she gets from freelancers WITHIN Germany that charge her for a service she requested (e.g. a collaborator translating for her or reviewing some of her work as per her request)

- The occasional (but I deem this to be super rare) consumable or equipment bought from WITHIN Germany, for her work

- If gas for her car is somehow included, that should also be considered as she drives around for meeting with clients she works for.

That's basically it. I found some guides in TT but they are pretty old and do not resemble what the forms are. Apologies (I know, I do apologize a lot and maybe it makes me look bad) if I did not see something obviously right for my questions.

Thanks again for the help!

Hello everyone again...

is there any guide you would recommend (German or English) to understand how to fill that Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung form? I am mostly interested in knowing where to put the VAT for tools you bought for your work (the "negative" one) as I think I got the "positive" one down for my wife as she's only sending invoices and does not have most of the special cases I saw on the form.

I did ask the people on Elster but got no reply since May 31st.

Thanks again!