Police brutality in the USA

534 posts in this topic

The problem in the USA is that in most cases it does not matter what the police officer did, if they ever go to court everything they have to do is to say "I feared for my life" and that's it, in most cases that would be enough for a non-guilty verdict.

Well, these days, with cameras everywhere on the streets, it makes it easier for a court to interpret what really has happened. Bad cops make life tougher for good cops and if the general population don’t feel there is consensus policing, God help us. Anarchy.

Yes to good policing, no to brutality. I wonder what will happen to the cops who harrassed the CNN reporter.

9 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

35 years ago in a middle/upper middle class section of St. Louis the police got out of their car to stop my husband and ask what he was doing out walking at 2 am.  He pointed to the Snugli on his chest and said "I'm trying to get this newborn to go to sleep so my poor wife and I can get some sleep."  Fast forward to 10 years ago at 2 am in a relatively affluent section of San Jose and the police stopped my then 25 year old son, a software engineer who was simply riding his bike home to his nearby condo.  They demanded to see his ID and refused to believe that he wasn't up to something fishy, which led to some further unpleasant consequences.  We are white.  For POC these incidents are deadly.  The police in the US have been out of control for quite some time.

I was staying at a friend’s house in Los Angeles in 1973 and was walking on the pavement on the way back home one morning.

Someone called the police because I was “ suspicious.” I was walking ( by the way, I read mikemelga’s post today)!

A cop car turned up in the street and I was asked in exactly which room at the friend’s house I was staying in and then the cop accompanied me to the house.

Luckily, my friend’s wife opened the door and asked what the problem was. So all was ok in the end.

But the paranoia of someone because I was walking in broad daylight...

Police brutality is not only in the US, of course, but what makes it newsworthy, I suppose , is the “ land of the free “  stuff you hear all the time.

Would not happen in Germany. Here it is just the other way around:

https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article208577855/Dietzenbach-Brand-sollte-Polizei-wohl-anlocken-dann-griffen-die-Maenner-an.html

A group of 50 men sets fires and attacks police officers

On Friday, a group set fire in Dietzenbach, Hesse. Apparently only to lure the police, who threw stones at them. The altercation lasted two hours. The Minister of the Interior believes it was connected to an earlier police action.
A violent stone attack against firefighters and police officers has caused horror in Hesse. In Dietzenbach in the Offenbach district, the emergency services had probably been ambushed and then attacked. Nobody was injured according to first reports. According to state interior minister Peter Beuth (CDU), the attack could possibly be connected to a larger police action earlier this week. Officials had seized, among other things, more than 200 bicycles in several cellars of a high-rise building, presumably stolen goods.

A dozen police cars were damaged, property damage of 150,000€

No time for those idiots, either , Answer. Attacking emergency services- no way acceptable. Uncivilised behaviour.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

if they ever go to court everything they have to do is to say "I feared for my life" and that's it, in most cases that would be enough for a non-guilty verdict.

This can be understandable if the person in question is armed. And I do understand that, in a few cases, when the person does not obey orders and then pulls something out of their pocket and the police person freaks out and shoots them fearing for their own life. The race of the person doesn't matter in these cases usually but, sadly, people of color tend to get shot more often.

16 hours ago, Lorelei said:

or the one kneeling on George Floyd

There were 3 officers kneeling on him as shown by another video: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/george-floyd-new-video-officers-kneel-trnd/index.html

13 hours ago, Krieg said:

The problem in the USA is that in most cases it does not matter what the police officer did, if they ever go to court everything they have to do is to say "I feared for my life" and that's it, in most cases that would be enough for a non-guilty verdict.

In this case he can hardly claim that given the video evidence available.

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Uncivilised behaviour.

That´s the euphemism of the week.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The race of the person doesn't matter in these cases usually but, sadly, people of color tend to get shot more often.

My guess is that´s because of the socioeconomic reality they´re overrepresented in crimes.  It´s just less likely that an educated millionaire will try to rob you than an uneducated  homeless person feeding on what they find in bins. It´s just that in the latter group black people are overrepresented but I´m sure skin colour doesn´t make a difference socioeconomics and upbringing do. When I was living in South Africa I told my (white) kids that in case something happened to me or in case they should be separated from me they should look for a white female to ask for help / bring them to the next police station. Does that make me a racist or a sexist?

Donald Trump is an incendiary bomb dropped on a gasoline fire. Following his twitter feeds it's everyone elses fault but mine. I'm sure he's serriously pissed about having to be at the white house instead of at his resort golfing

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The race of the person doesn't matter in these cases usually but, sadly, people of color tend to get shot more often.

In absolute number more white than black people have been shot in the US 2019: 370:235.

However, in the last years the number of white people being shot decreased while for the other races the numbers are fairly constant.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

14 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

In absolute number more white than black people have been shot in the US 2019: 370:235.

However, in the last years the number of white people being shot decreased while for the other races the numbers are fairly constant.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

That's right

But 72% of people in the US are classified as white, so in proportion to the Blacks and other non-whites, they are shot more often

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

By police? That is what we were talking about.

I have to say that I'm conflicted on all of this. Been following Andy Ngo for a long time (writer for the Post Millennial conservative leaning media outlet) and his main focus is on Antifa. He's what he tweeted yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1266582447195488258?s=20

We are witnessing glimpses of the full insurrection the far-left has been working on for decades. Within hours, militant antifa cells across the country mobilized to aid BLM rioters. The first broken window is the blood in the water for looters to move in. The fires come next.  

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1266582447195488258?s=20

Now I'm somewhat conflicted on this. The far left has been grooming a generation of young people to accept authoritarianism as a natural state of things. Young people have been taught that debate is hate, punching a Nazi  is not only acceptable but the honorable thing to do

.For most part it has only been the left eating themselves. For Example

The misogyny directed at JK Rowling shows everything that is screwed up with this libfem movement. Something is going terribly wrong, when your feminism supports the harassment, slander and bullying of other women, simply because you disagree with them

and

The destruction of businesses we're witnessing across the US is not mere opportunism. It plays a critical role in antifa & BLM ideology. The goal is to abolish capitalism & have regime change. To do that, they have to make economic recovery impossible.

https://twitter.com/JessDeWahls/status/1207908722258919424?s=20

I could spend all day sharing stories of feminists who have been attached shamed bulled for having the wrong opinions about female penises. There's also the issue of San Francisco where the mentally disturbed and drug addicts have taken over the city. 

BUT and this is important, the right tends to ignore racism in America mostly framing this a personal choice issue. if you only work work hard you too could get ahead. They also downplay how hard it is to escape poverty. 

"Trump fuels new tensions in moment of crisis"

WASHINGTON (AP) — Over 48 hours in America, the official death toll from the coronavirus pandemic topped 100,000, the number of people who filed for unemployment during the crisis soared past 40 million, and the streets of a major city erupted in flames after a handcuffed black man was killed by a white police officer.

It’s the kind of frenetic, fractured moment when national leaders are looked to for solutions and solace. President Donald Trump instead threw a rhetorical match into the tinderbox. “When the looting starts, the shooting starts,” he declared ominously in a late-night tweet.

The episode encapsulated Trump’s approach to the presidency and to this time of national crisis, which has upended nearly every aspect of American life and put his November reelection prospects at risk. He’s latched on to personal grievances and cast himself as a victim, while making only occasional references to the staggering loss of life across the country. He’s willingly stoked partisan divisions over public health, and now racial divisions in the face of a death, rather than seeking opportunities to pull the nation together.

Rep. Val Demings of Florida, (contender to become Biden’s running mate), sums up Trump's handling of the situation succinctly:

“The nation is on fire, and the president of the United States is standing there with gasoline”

3 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

“The nation is on fire, and the president of the United States is standing there with gasoline”

You could say that about any of his tweets/rallies.

arsonist.jpg.d6a32be9ac14137b68182b9355f

11 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

It‘s his signature MO, and unfortunately he reads this base well and knows just what shit to stir.  He displays quite classic Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms, for which there is no medication.  He is currently very, very afraid of losing the election.  So we can expect more of this distraction.

14 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Rep. Val Demings of Florida, (contender to become Biden’s running mate), sums up Trump's handling of the situation succinctly:

The Governor of Minnesota is a Democrat

Both Senators from Minnesota are Democrats

The Mayor of Minneapolis is a Democrat

The City Council of Minneapolis is made up of 12 Democrats and 1 Green. 

Senator Amy Klobuchar, a former Presidential candidate and Democrat from Minnesota, declined to prosecute the officer who knelt of George Floyd's neck after he shot a Native American man to death while he was on duty in 2006.   Klobuchar had a terrible reputation with the African American community when she was a prosecutor because she would not prosecute police brutality.   

So naturally, this is Trump's fault.    :rolleyes:

If the nominee at election time is Biden, the running mate will be Kamala Harris (another prosecutor with an awful track record).