Police brutality in the USA

540 posts in this topic

This just made me sick to my stomach... (see links)

It is 2020...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52817097

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/us/minneapolis-police-man-died.html

I watched this last year, and it brought tears to my eyes. A great film (see link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkRTy5ZhI6g

I simply cannot believe we are living in 2020, we have all this technology and yet human beings do not seem to have changed at all. :(

As a victim of police brutality, I feel very strongly about this issue. I wonder why cops murder so many people now in the US. I've read that about 20 years ago police started intentionally hiring people of lower I.Q. to counter their high turnover rate. The idea behind this was that people of higher(normal?) intelligence would get less satisfaction out of filing mindless paper work and enforcing laws that often make little or no sense (most police officers are not heros and never will be.).

Human compassion was also tied to a certain level of intelligence and they actively tried to avoid hiring people these people because what they want is people who will help the state impose fees on citizens. In other words, they didn't want to hire police officers who they felt might "Go easy" on people. So by intentionally hiring dumb people, they felt they were getting a sort of 2 for 1 deal. It would solve their high turn over rate and also collect more money for the state.

So you get what we have here now. We pay dumb, over zealous police officers to murder us. And it's been going on for while now. Look what they did to Eric Gardner years ago. It's on youtube. They choked an American citizen and basically smothered him to death, just because he was trying to make a buck selling lose end cigarettes in front of a gas station. 

That’s the way humans can be, Anna. Sometimes wonderful in adversity, sometimes horrible. Mostly somewhere in the middle.  If there is a middle. Maybe. Technology can also help us but it is can be massively abused.

If psychopaths are running the show - including run-of-the-mill people, God only help us.

And it is not only in the USA that police brutality is around. Bad enough. And it is not only in the USA that non- police are brutal.
There’s a whole lot of brutality out there. Your neighbour? The sports teacher? And I don’t care if some will call this whataboutism or whatever the flavour of the month is re jargon.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

It is 2020...

Same shit as decades ago, the difference is now we have cameras everywhere.

George Floyd was fully in custody and under control when the force that eventually caused his death was used. 

Sorry, @fraufruit, but this is not just the last 3 years. Police have been committing this kind of violence against POC for two centuries. 

It has been a particularly in-broad-daylight, out-in-the-open problem for the last two decades. This has been an ongoing problem since the US government lowered standards for entrance into the military after 9/11. When those folks who were never really qualified to be in the military got out, they had nowhere to go but law enforcement.  I have not analyzed the numbers, but I bet these police brutality cases come primarily from ex-military folks.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Not just the cameras, but YouTube, Facebook, WhatsApp... There's no need for the press to get involved for a witness to spread her story. Anyone can do it.

For perspective on this, I highly recommend Radley Balko’s incredibly well-researched and well-written book, Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces.

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Sorry, @fraufruit, but this is not just the last 3 years. Police have been committing this kind of violence against POC for two centuries. 

I agree. I just feel like it has gotten more prevalent over the last few years. I do know  that my friends of color are much more worried about their kids than they were before. 

Yes @Space Cowboy.  We were just discussing that very topic at our house.  A few years ago, in the small college town I lived in I saw 5 police cars and 10 officers in full riot gear show up midday to cuff some weaponless drunk guy on Main Street!  It was unbelievable.  The guy was lying on the ground virtually incoherent.  Contrast that with here.  When I recently landed at the Zurich airport on March 8th I watched two police officers very calmly arresting two men in a cafe who looked to be in possession of narcotics.  It was all very laid back.  Here people are not afraid of the police.  At home they act like they are operating in a war zone.  Think about who wants that type of job!

35 years ago in a middle/upper middle class section of St. Louis the police got out of their car to stop my husband and ask what he was doing out walking at 2 am.  He pointed to the Snugli on his chest and said "I'm trying to get this newborn to go to sleep so my poor wife and I can get some sleep."  Fast forward to 10 years ago at 2 am in a relatively affluent section of San Jose and the police stopped my then 25 year old son, a software engineer who was simply riding his bike home to his nearby condo.  They demanded to see his ID and refused to believe that he wasn't up to something fishy, which led to some further unpleasant consequences.  We are white.  For POC these incidents are deadly.  The police in the US have been out of control for quite some time.

Johanan Kay had an excellent twitter thread on this, he is the realvant part.

In the U.S., much of the problem lies with a lack of officer education & professional standards. U.S. tax policy starves both police and the communities they serve of money. The case of Ferguson was an extreme case in point ... Training was barely above level of mall cops...

and

When I embedded briefly with a Toronto-area police force, I was shocked at how different things were. The cops I met had college education & were subject to stringent continuing ed requirements. They spent time on social media educating themselves about communities they served...

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1266068083862654976?s=21

13 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

In the U.S., much of the problem lies with a lack of officer education & professional standards. U.S. tax policy starves both police and the communities they serve of money. The case of Ferguson was an extreme case in point ... Training was barely above level of mall cops...

That's just sad.  I was watching a youtube documentary on small town cops in the US and the chief of police somewhere in middle of nowhere said that when he got the job as a policeman, on his first day, the former chief handed him the keys to the station and squad car and said ok, I'm going home.  Absolutely no training.  He said they are trying to improve that now but sometimes small town cops work for a year before getting any training.  However, in the cities, it should be better.

Another problem is the police getting more military like.  I read an article a few years ago by a man who was military and had served in Iraq. After he was back, there was an incident where his apartment was getting some work done and he was allowed to move into another vacant apartment by the caretaker.  He woke up with loads of policemen yelling and pointing guns at him.  Apparently he hadn't locked the door and a neighbour had become aware that someone was in the apartment while thinking it was supposed to be empty so they called the police and said there was an intruder in there.  After being arrested and taken to the station and it eventually getting cleared up that he was allowed to be there, he asked the police if they thought that level of manpower + guns was really necessary for a possible intruder and the police said well, we have to protect us.  However, he said from his military experience, if you protect yours at all costs, you lose connection with the people. It becomes us against them and if you make enemies of the public, then don't be surprised if the public is less than helpful when the police need them to be.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Last time I was in NY, 2008, I already felt something wrong with the police. I had 3 interaction with them but the relevant one was asking for directions near chinatown and the guy went for his gun! We are tourists, in a super tourist area, and these cops are not used to having people approaching them!

In another story (long one), we were almost arrested simply by walking! A patrol car came in upstate new york, the cop asked us if our car broke down and when we said "we don´t have a car" the guy went for the gun, started shouting very loud when I shouted "WE ARE EUROPEANS!".

He immediately calmed down and said "HA! I understand! You LIKE to walk!".

Next time wear a t-shirt:"I'm a bloody tourist from Europe. Please don't shoot me."

18 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I know.

What I meant was that it is 2020 and the shit still is going on. Look at our technology how it has advanced, but we humans have not changed a bit. Still the same old shit.

Even if the police in this incident had not been trained in restraint techniques (which seems unlikely to me, but from what others have said above, possible), you've got to be pretty thick to kneel on someone's neck and not realise it could kill them, especially if the person's saying they can't breathe and people around you (though not any of your fellow officers, as far as I gather) are telling you to stop or you could kill the person. So it seems to me less likely that the officers were all thick or the one kneeling on George Floyd honestly deploying what he considered reasonable restraint than demonstrating domination and a sense of impunity that brings the attitudes of the segregation and slavery eras right into the present day. I agree with Anna66 that it's sickening that this could happen in 2020.