Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Australians wanting to move, travel and work in Europe.

23 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, That Outdoor Chick said:

Thanks Leon. By the time we are looking at actually making the move, my husband will be over 30 and will probably apply/ be eligible for the skilled visa (I would just be the secondary applicant). The nature of his work requires us to move around and chase the hail, it’s just an added benefit that we can sight see as we do it. I suppose it is going to be me that has the issue finding work, I think hospitality may be my only option.  We would just like to base ourselves primarily in one place that would be easy to get around and fit in stress free at the start. 

Well, if it doesn't work out with the skilled visa, you can always look for working holiday in the countries that allow it until age 35. 

On 29/05/2020, 4:08:28, Space Cowboy said:

I don’t know where you heard that about Germany, but it simply isn’t true.  Many Germans learned English in school, but in the east of the country most people never learned any English until after the Reunification.

There are corporations in Germany where English is the working language, but they are the exception rather than the rule.  I work for a large multi-national firm headquartered in the US, but most of my daily conversations with colleagues and customers are in German.

Any kind of skilled work is going to require a minimum of B1 competency.  Administrative/technical will require a minimum of B2 language competency.  I spent over a year in daily classes to learn enough German to become employable.

And - all contracts and government rules you will deal with - lodging, utilities, phone, work, permits, etc. will be in German.

Thanks a lot. My initial thought was that there would not be any useful/ skilled jobs that would employ only English speaking. My husband would make enough whilst we are overseas, but I was hoping there’d be an option to do my part and contribute, etc.