EU Blue Card to Settlement Permit (PR) without German Competency

10 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

I couldn't find an answer to this specific question. Apologies if it has been discussed before.

An EU blue card holder can apply for the settlement permit 

• After 21 months if they have a B1 German Competence
  • After 33 months if they have a A1 German Competence

What happens, if the applicant doesn't have the A1 competency after 33 months? Do they simply extend their blue card for another 4 years? If someone has any experience on this topic, I would love to hear.  :)

Btw, please don't make the statement, "what would that person still be doing in Germany if they don't have the A1 competency after freaking 33 months" B) 

Thank you all :-)

I just did my permit from blu card at 33 months in berlin. I had no a1 test or certificate and my german is terrible. They only àasked a few simple questions to see my passport this throough me off becuase asked for reseinpass and i just looked dumb as germans commonly say passport, my address, my eye color, 2and where i worked . Done . But i had a lawyer that did the process and she said technically a cert is not needed and with a lawyer they will not ask for one. Second she also said if you are well above minimum blu card salary they tend to be easier as they believe you have less chance to go on benefits. I also transferred from same company in usa so had 25 years total service with 33 months in germany. Lawyer came and that helps reduce questionss so total time was like 10 minutes. Cost about 1k.

Correction appointment was in march before virus shutdown of office and they mailed may card which was new process

My german is pretty bad but i can understand and speak really basic german phrases like you should have some knowledge of after 33 months. I was told worse case they would decline the settlement and there is a possibility to extend blu card but i never went into what that process was or how much time would be given

Even I managed to get the A1 test and I have vocabulary specific to my likes/hobby and not the more normal everyday chat! My grammar is bad, but the exam I did was tick boxes for the first parts, then fill in a form (basic name, address, amount etc) so no grammar needed. The writing was to send an email ordering food for a party with instructions as to what it should contain (I copied bits from the instructions to make sure it was better than my grammar). The spoken was very basic, from a sheet you gave things like your name, where you were from, your original country and language. Then you drew cards from a pack that was offered and had to ask the person next to you a question about the picture that was on it (travel, food, in the home type things). So if you have phrases like do you drink coffee, or do you have a sofa, do you use trains, and you can answer that sort of question in a few words to show that you understood it thats all you need to do. 

18 hours ago, lunasuenos said:

My german is pretty bad but i can understand and speak really basic german phrases like you should have some knowledge of after 33 months. I was told worse case they would decline the settlement and there is a possibility to extend blu card but i never went into what that process was or how much time would be given

Thanks a lot for your input :-)

I don't think I can say anything in German except for may be my name, where I am from and where do I work. 

However, I am going to test my luck without any certificates. Will keep this thread posted. 

15 hours ago, GoldenJoe said:

Do the free A1 course here https://learngerman.dw.com/en/overview 

It will not take a lot of time and it is just short videos with some exercises afterwards. 

Or do the placement test first, maybe your German is already at A1. 

Bookmarked! 
Thank you :-)

Hello i think if you are limited to name and where from you are going to have a issue especially if you go on your own without a lawyer. Others have had to privide a full official gothe test result fo a1. As a a minimum start learning what would be basic questions and answers when you got here, where you live, size of apartment...basic stuff. Accent and grammer not the important part. Can give you good laywer ref for berlin want to see what they tell you. Wish you luck whatever you decide

Hi, A1 is the very basic, so you knowing to answer basic questions should be ok.

It also depends on the person checking it, some are more flexible than others.

If I were you I would take some classes til the date of the appointment and wish for the best :)

Good luck!