Terminating a contract: What are my benefit entitlements after I leave a job?

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been working in Berlin for about 4 years now (I have German citizenship but grew up overseas and am not fluent in German). I want to quit my current job due to burn out—unfortunately it is just not sustainable for my mental health.

I don't want to look for another job immediately and would like to apply for benefits. My German is not great and I'm struggling to understand my rights. Here are the questions I'd really appreciate help with.

1) How soon after quitting my job (I have the standard 3-month notice period) can I apply for and then receive benefits (ALG1?)?

2) Does the Arbeitsamt look into your savings and will they penalise your payments accordingly? 
3) If there is a wait time between my contract end date and receiving benefits, how much would I need to pay in health insurance? I'm with TK.

4) Is there any standard for leaving your job for burn out/mental health reasons, or is the best process just to quit voluntarily, as I am planning? (I'm currently not in therapy as I am struggling with the subsidised application process)

Thank you in advance!

14 minutes ago, walnuss said:

I don't want to look for another job immediately and would like to apply for benefits.

That won´t fly. You can only get unemployment benefits if you´re prepared to work.

Have you tried using the TT search function for ALG1, ALG 2?

If you quit, there is usually a 3 month waiting time penalty, before you can receive ALG1. You seem to be entitled to ALG1,.

ALG2 ( Hartz4) is when they go into your financial status, accounts, assets etc.

You will be expected to be applying for jobs, available for work, rather than taking an extended holiday.

Speak to your doctor if you have serious depression, stress related to current job, about sick leave.

1 hour ago, walnuss said:

Hi,

I've been working in Berlin for about 4 years now (I have German citizenship but grew up overseas and am not fluent in German). I want to quit my current job due to burn out—unfortunately it is just not sustainable for my mental health.

I don't want to look for another job immediately and would like to apply for benefits. My German is not great and I'm struggling to understand my rights. Here are the questions I'd really appreciate help with.

1) How soon after quitting my job (I have the standard 3-month notice period) can I apply for and then receive benefits (ALG1?)?

2) Does the Arbeitsamt look into your savings and will they penalise your payments accordingly? 
3) If there is a wait time between my contract end date and receiving benefits, how much would I need to pay in health insurance? I'm with TK.

4) Is there any standard for leaving your job for burn out/mental health reasons, or is the best process just to quit voluntarily, as I am planning? (I'm currently not in therapy as I am struggling with the subsidised application process)

Thank you in advance!

1. If you quit your job voluntarily, you will be blocked from ALG1 for 3 months.  You should still register as soon as you know you are becoming unemployed (after you give your notice) but you will not get any money for the first 3 months and the period you will be paid is shortened by those 3 months, i.e. if you are under 50 you can only get max 9 months instead of 12.  While on ALG1 you are expected to apply for jobs and be ready to work.

2. No, the Arbeitsamt does not look into your savings.  If you finish off your ALG1 entitlement and go on ALG2 (Hartz4) they will look at your savings.

3. You would have to talk to TK about that but last I heard it was around 160-180 per month.

4. Your best option is not to quit voluntarily but to go to your doctor and get a sick note.  Your employer has to pay you 6 weeks full wages and after that TK will pay you 75-80% and they will make sure you get treatment for your problems because otherwise they'd be paying you for a long time.  During this time, you can talk with your doctor, TK and employer about quitting your job for medical reasons. When you are better, you can still get ALG1 and without being blocked for 3 months.