Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

70 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Hmm, and how much did you charge? If you worked on a percentage then it would not be worth any ones while chasing small amounts. Or?

I earned between 10 and 50% depending on the age of the debt and the amount. I would also occasionally buy debt and chase it down. Then, I paid cents on the dollar.

On 23/05/2020, 10:02:52, lunaCH said:

I have four relatives who still regularly pay by cheque to people who come to do work for them as they don't keep cash on the premises. 

Plenty of shops still take cheques as well. 

In 2017, 400 million cheques were written in the UK. That's about 6 cheques per person per year, or one every second month. Unless they are phased out legally, it will be decades before they disappear entirely as there'll always be a group of people who continue to use them quite a bit, even if the rest of the population doesn't. 

Well, they were meant to be phased out in 2018[*], but that got tangled up in an administrative quagmire. They are still working on it.  In 2018, apparently cheque usage was down my 20% wrt 2017, I couldn't find numbers for 2019.  That's not 'wide-spread' and most traders would really prefer you didn't write them a cheque, if you do use a traceable method of paying them they very much prefer a bank transfer. When I opened a new account at NatWest 2 years ago, I did not get a cheque book.  Maybe it's different in the country side or for old people, but times have moved on here.

[*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8414341.stm

1 hour ago, Marianne013 said:

That article is from 2009, - a couple of years later they decided not to go ahead with such a phase out. ;)

My relatives are generally using the same tradespeople for work on owned property, so they are happy to take them and have the regular custom and income, even if the money only goes into their account a little later than with another form of payment. Presumably for a large job which is paid for in cash, they have to go to the bank anyway to bank the money.

On 5/22/2020, 2:59:34, john g. said:

You can‘t even safely drink the water here. Everybody buys mineral water- even the locals.

Off topic:  I did a project in Chicago at Pepsico and visited one of their bottling plants.  They were filling Acuafina that day and I asked where they got their water from.  The plant manager pointed to a large valve on the wall and said, "We get our water like everyone else in Chicago".  Open tap, fill bottle, sell bottle.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

Off topic:  I did a project in Chicago at Pepsico and visited one of their bottling plants.  They were filling Acuafina that day and I asked where they got their water from.  The plant manager pointed to a large valve on the wall and said, "We get our water like everyone else in Chicago".  Open tap, fill bottle, sell bottle.

My understanding is that this was common practise by Pepsico, for sure it caused a scandal in the UK.

3 hours ago, catjones said:

Bottled water companies are selling bottles - not water.

20 hours ago, keith2011 said:

My understanding is that this was common practise by Pepsico, for sure it caused a scandal in the UK.

The water in Chicago comes from Lake Michigan.  The water is safe to drink and has no off smells or tastes.  Aquafina never made claims about its source.  Since it's called "bottled water" I guess you could say it has one of the least deceptive marketing claims.

Anyway, HASPA cleared my Treasury Check within a few days without any hassle and charged me a 40 Euro fee. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Another strange note about Duetsche Bank, their ATM machine swallowed my card days ago. I called the bank where this had happened and they told me my only option was to order a new card because they don't have a key to open the machine and retrieve it. I guess maybe it could be for security reasons but this doesn't seem like a very good system to me. Its been 5 days and I am still waiting for my new card.