Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

71 posts in this topic

Of course I said that jokingly (therefore the :) )  There are still people who use Nokia  flip phones too.  I guess there are people still on dial up modems?  That doesn't mean that these things are not outdated or rapidly becoming so.

Couldn't find the stats for Germany quickly, but they are probably similar: 

According to the Newspaper Association of America, paid circulation began to drop in the late 1980s. Between 1990 and 2014, weekday circulation in the U.S. dropped from 62,328,000 to 40,420,000, a loss of 21,908, or 35 percent. According to estimates from the Pew Research Center, weekday circulation had dropped to 30,948,419 by 2017.

Wouldn't want to be in the print newspaper business now.  

**Edit** Germany is indeed similar:  

Auch die verkaufte Gesamtauflage deutscher Tages- und Sonntagszeitungen ist stark rückläufig und zwischen 1995 und 2018 um knapp 50 Prozent gesunken – von rund 30,2 Millionen auf rund 15,6 Millionen Exemplare.

The total paid circulation of German daily and Sunday newspapers has also declined sharply, falling by almost 50 percent between 1995 and 2018 - from around 30.2 million to around 15.6 million copies. 

And no doubt the decline will continue everywhere, but I don't see print newspapers disappearing in the next couple of decades. 

I can't understand why people actually pay for them though unless they have a really good subscription deal and prefer the comfort of having it delivered. I'm in favour of free newspapers completely financed through advertising as it's nice to read something on paper whilst commuting rather than being glued to a screen.

48 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

And no doubt the decline will continue everywhere, but I don't see print newspapers disappearing in the next couple of decades. 

I can't understand why people actually pay for them though unless they have a really good subscription deal and prefer the comfort of having it delivered. I'm in favour of free newspapers completely financed through advertising as it's nice to read something on paper whilst commuting rather than being glued to a screen.

I don't put newspapers in the same category as VCRs. VCRs have been completely replaced with no good reason to stick around.  Just like film cameras and dial up modems.   

However, there are benefits to print over digital (and digital over print).  You can give half of it to a friend. You can just throw the paper out (or leave it for the next person) when you are done with it. You don't have to worry about it being charged, etc. 

It will stick around in some form or the other like books and radio, but nowhere near the importance that it once had.  

14 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

However, there are benefits to print over digital

I buy a newspaper when I´m having luch at my favourite little restaurant. I feels more comfortable than reading on my cell and in a weird way I like fighting the wind blowing it off the table.

1 minute ago, jeba said:

... and in a weird way I like fighting the wind blowing it off the table.

that is so funny.  That is exactly what I hate about reading a full-sized newspaper outdoors! 

Cheques are still widely used in Portugal and it is a nightmare. On my old company we kept getting problems with customer checks that would bounce or where they would "damage" it on purpose so we could not withdraw them, just to postpone payments.

We also had a guy that stole our cheque book and tried to "sell" them.

There are so many scams and so many legal tricks you can do with them that I consider them a menace, not something useful.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

There are so many scams and so many legal tricks you can do with them that I consider them a menace, not something useful.

I would say that that is also true of other payment methods. Every method has advantages and drawbacks for both user and recipient. ;)

7 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

I would say that that is also true of other payment methods. Every method has advantages and drawbacks for both user and recipient. ;)

Nah, check scams are much easier to pull off than other scams (followed by debit card fraud).  

In 2018, check fraud accounted for 47 percent or $1.3 billion of industry deposit account fraud losses, closely followed by debit card fraud losses—signature, PIN, and ATM combined—44 percent or $1.2 billion. The remaining 9 percent or $265 million of losses were attributable to electronic banking transactions, including billpay, P2P transfers, wire and ACH transactions.

In Israel checks are used to pay the rent. It is common to give 12 post dated checks for the landlord, so he has a guarantee of a rent paid for  1 year. No need for this bullshit with Schufa.

Also, some car selling companies offer payment in several post dated checks as interest free instalments.

But here cancelling a check is a crime, while for bounced check it's relatively easy to involve the procedure of taking all the money and possessions of the person if they do not pay.

Other than for that checks are not used mostly.

They were inspired by Leonardo DiCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can." 🤑

6 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Nah, check scams are much easier to pull off than other scams (followed by debit card fraud). 

5 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

In Israel checks are used to pay the rent. It is common to give 12 post dated checks for the landlord, so he has a guarantee of a rent paid for  1 year. No need for this bullshit with Schufa.

Also, some car selling companies offer payment in several post dated checks as interest free instalments.

But here cancelling a check is a crime, while for bounced check it's relatively easy to involve the procedure of taking all the money and possessions of the person if they do not pay.

Other than for that checks are not used mostly.

And if the cheques bounce and the property has been wrecked and the car has been sold and the culprit is nowhere to be found, what then?

Just now, keith2011 said:

And if the cheques bounce and the property has been wrecked and the car has been sold and the culprit is nowhere to be found, what then?

Well, I don't know about Israel, but in Georgia (US) we put check kiters in jail.

8 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Well, I don't know about Israel, but in Georgia (US) we put check kiters in jail.

You have to find them first! The only thing worth doing with a bounced cheque is to frame it hang it on the wall under a sign saying No Cheques Accepted or "Checks" in the US.:D

14 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

They were inspired by Leonardo DiCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can." 🤑

Good movie, but just like Wolf of Wall Street I had to often remind myself that the actual person was an asshole thief and now they get their own movie and get to be played by diCaprio.  

Unsure about other countries, but in Portugal you can "forward" the cheque to another person, and that creates havoc. The practical reason are illiterate old people who ask the local postman to cash the government's cheque and bring them money.

But then cheque fraud becomes really easy.

5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

You have to find them first! The only thing worth doing with a bounced cheque is to frame it hang it on the wall under a sign saying No Cheques Accepted or "Checks" in the US.:D

Uhm, I used to earn my living finding those people. I almost always did. 

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Unsure about other countries, but in Portugal you can "forward" the cheque to another person, and that creates havoc. The practical reason are illiterate old people who ask the local postman to cash the government's cheque and bring them money.

But then cheque fraud becomes really easy.

In the UK most cheque books have only pre crossed cheques, meaning they must go through a bank account though not necessarily the account of the person it is made out to, which does give some traceability. In the past, or if you can still request open cheques, which potentially can be used to get cash it was possible to cross it by writing &Co boldly between two slanted lines on it. I also believe doing the same but writing "Not Negotiable" meant it could only go through the payees account.

24 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Well, for the purpose which checks are mostly used (rent & car purchase) the culprit can be easily found. I don't know if one can be put to jail. Possibly.

Also, companies tend to pay some contractors in checks, but companies are also easy to be found.

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Uhm, I used to earn my living finding those people. I almost always did. 

Hmm, and how much did you charge? If you worked on a percentage then it would not be worth any ones while chasing small amounts. Or?

42 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

check scams are much easier to pull off than other scams (followed by debit card fraud).  

And they aren´t covered by insurance against online fraud (credit card fraud is).