Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

70 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Cash is King! And what about all their black bank accounts.

And avoiding negative interest rates being charged!

16 hours ago, lunaCH said:

What are the black accounts?

Accounts with African banks. Isn´t that obvious?

46 minutes ago, Dr Jock said:

Cheques imo are a much superior system than the madly complicated German Ueberweisung where you have to know the bank details of the payee, whereas with a cheque I can just put it in an envelope & post it off to them.

And that´s what you call more convenient? I definitely wouldn´t. Not only would I have to know the postal adress, I´d also have the hassle to write an enveleope, buy a stamp, bring it to the letterbox and have the risk it might get lost or misdelivered. Thanks, but no thanks.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Accounts with African banks. Isn´t that obvious?

No, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. ^_^

-----

Another advantage of cheques (for the user) is if the cheque is lost, for example if the shop loses it or it gets thrown away by mistake, the buyer is ordinarily never charged for that transaction. 

I remember my aunt worked in a store where they had a refit and was helping with the removal of the old tills. They found a dozen or so cheques which had slipped down behind the till drawer - many of which were years old. After six months the bank can refuse to honour the cheque and the user can also cancel it, there's also a chance that the account has since been closed. Free shopping! :rolleyes:

On 23/05/2020, 13:46:02, jeba said:

You may have And that´s what you call more convenient? I definitely wouldn´t. Not only would I have to know the postal adress, I´d also have the hassle to write an enveleope, buy a stamp, bring it to the letterbox and have the risk it might get lost or misdelivered. Thanks, but no thanks.

You may have bank conveniently situated a short stroll from your house, I have to drive a round trip of 20 km, which costs me petrol, parking & standing in a queue wearing a bloody stupid face mask at the moment - add to this, the cost of say, at least one hour's loss of earnings plus the fact that I can only perform this operation during banking hours.

Alternatively, with a cheque book I write out the cheque, address and stamp an  envelope, walk to the post-box at any time (we do have one in my village) & return. Total cost. 1 euro, total time, 10 minutes max.

There are several other advantages with cheques; you can cancel them if need be & you can post-date them, & more.  

Who would accept a check, when it can be cancelled later?

just google "cheque scam"

"Overpayment Scams

In this variation of the scam, often conducted through the Internet, the seller is contacted by a potential “buyer” who pretends to be looking to purchase an item listed for sale through a website or print advertisement, or looking to rent an apartment. The buyer is often located outside of the state or country and typically claims interest in “buying” a large ticket item, such as a car, boat, or snowmobile. After making contact, the buyer sends the seller a cashier’s check for an amount greater than the item’s list price and instructs the seller to wire the extra money to an “agent” to pay for taxes, fees, and shipping costs. After the seller sends the money, the check is found to be worthless, leaving the seller liable to the bank for the wired funds. Don’t let this happen to you!"

I also heard of this scams in Germany.

I would only accept cash or a bank transfer.

4 hours ago, Dr Jock said:

You may have bank conveniently situated a short stroll from your house, I have to drive a round trip of 20 km, which costs me petrol, parking & standing in a queue wearing a bloody stupid face mask at the moment - add to this, the cost of say, at least one hour's loss of earnings plus the fact that I can only perform this operation during banking hours.

Alternatively, with a cheque book I write out the cheque, address and stamp an  envelope, walk to the post-box at any time (we do have one in my village) & return. Total cost. 1 euro, total time, 10 minutes max.

There are several other advantages with cheques; you can cancel them if need be & you can post-date them, & more.  

Internet banking? It's 2020 not 1970.

6 hours ago, Dr Jock said:

You may have bank conveniently situated a short stroll from your house,

My bank doesn´t have brick and mortar branches. It´s all done online and I don´t even live in Germany while using a German bank.

8 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Who would accept a check, when it can be cancelled later? I would only accept cash or a bank transfer.

I would, currently here in Germany, not accept a cheque either unless:

- it was from a person or company I knew, 

- it was free to deposit 

- and I didn't have to send on any money to anywhere else before it cleared. 

However I would personally still write cheques as payment to others if it were possible here, even more so if I were to return to the UK.

I do online banking and have accounts which have a cheque facility, it isn't a matter of either/or both have advantages.  Another one of cheques is that if I want to say, send my grandson some money as birthday present, he receives a tangible object in a card, which is personal & much nicer than simply being informed that some remote financial transaction has taken place.

30 minutes ago, Dr Jock said:

I do online banking and have accounts which have a cheque facility, it isn't a matter of either/or both have advantages.  Another one of cheques is that if I want to say, send my grandson some money as birthday present, he receives a tangible object in a card, which is personal & much nicer than simply being informed that some remote financial transaction has taken place.

He would be happier with a prepaid credit card.  

" tangible object " are soooo outdated.

I mean, who has books, records, CD's or uses bills?

Doesn't he have a smartphone?

12 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

" tangible object " are soooo outdated.

I mean, who has books, records, CD's or uses bills?

Plenty of people. Just because some people consider some things to be outdated, it doesn't mean to say they really are, nor that people will stop using them. 

We still have books, CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes, the latter we can play in either of our two working VCRs. ;) 

My aunt has only in recent weeks stopped using VHS tapes to record from the TV and she has only stopped as it is technologically no longer possible for some reason. 

She can still watch the stuff she has recorded. 

11 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Plenty of people. Just because some people consider some things to be outdated, it doesn't mean to say they really are, nor that people will stop using them. 

We still have books, CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes, the latter we can play in either of our two working VCRs. ;) 

My aunt has only in recent weeks stopped using VHS tapes to record from the TV and she has only stopped as it is technologically no longer possible for some reason. 

Umm, sorry but thing can be outdated even if a few people are still using them.  I knew a guy who still had an 8 track player in his car.  Does that mean that 8 tracks are not outdated? 

The last VCR was produced in 2016.  It is a dead technology.    DVD was a much better technology than VHS in all ways and there was no benefit to VHS over DVD. 

I don't think that CDs and DVDs will disappear immediately.  There is still something to be said for a tangible item that can be loaned, sold, or traded over a virtual item that is attached to an account.  On the other hand, buying "tangible" video games will soon be a thing of the past.

14 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I can't believe anyone would willingly use a vcr for TV recording these days. Even when they were current technology setting them up to record a specific program was beyond most peoples ability and the quality is/was appalling and worsens over time as the tape wears. If you have any tapes that are watchable and you want to retain digitise, and store them on a PC disk drive, usb stick or in the cloud while you still can. These days there are so many better ways of recording TV though with so much catch up TV content available on line even that is becoming redundant.

Same with cheques there are better ways of doing it, go paperless, save trees.

5 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I can't believe anyone would willingly use a vcr for TV recording these days. Even when they were current technology setting them up to record a specific program was beyond most peoples ability and the quality is/was appalling and worsens over time as the tape wears. If you have any tapes that are watchable and you want to retain digitise, and store them on a PC disk drive, usb stick or in the cloud while you still can. These days there are so many better ways of recording TV though with so much catch up TV content available on line even that is becoming redundant.

Same with cheques there are better ways of doing it, go paperless, save trees.

The quality wasn't considered appalling back when there was no alternative. Why upgrade/shell out money for something new when what you have works fine and does what you want it to do? Setting the timer on a VCR is hardly difficult. It depends what generation you're from. Many people who have continued to use VCRs, or in the case of my aunt, a VCR/DVD combo, won't have a clue about other ways of watching/recording/digitising. But we've gone off topic. 

Cheques are hardly one of the main causes of felling trees, especially nowadays. Not when you compare them with something with far more waste paper like print newspapers, magazines, brochures etc. which are just flicked through and tossed away, not to mention all of the copies that are produced but never read. ;)

5 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Cheques are hardly one of the main causes of felling trees, especially nowadays. Not when you compare them with something with far more waste paper like print newspapers, magazines, brochures etc. which are just flicked through and tossed away, not to mention all of the copies that are produced but never read. ;)

Newspapers?  Who reads those anymore? :) 

1 minute ago, BradinBayern said:

Newspapers?  Who reads those anymore? :) 

I'd say 'most people' is the answer to that, i.e. more than half of the population. Otherwise why are they still being produced and distributed?! ;)