Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

71 posts in this topic

I received a check in the mail from the U.S. Department of Treasury. I took it Deutsche Bank, where I have had Euro account for many years, with the intent on depositing it into my account there. I spoke with 2 different people there. Both read to me from some kinda of print-out that specifically stated they are no longer servicing U.S. checks and and that I could be charged a fee of over 300 Euro to deposit it in my account. I asked them if they could clarify the "could be" part of that statement and since they have all my account information and the physical check right in front of them, I felt it was strange they were unable to tell me exactly what the fee would be. Surly I am not the only guy in the world who has wanted to deposit a check from the U.S. into their bank.

do you still have a US checking account ? I kept mine just for that reason - to be able to cash occasional US-$ checks.

If you do, you may be able to deposit your check there - a lot of them offer services like taking a picture of your check with a smartphone and then sending it to be deposited into your account.

From there you could transfer the money to your German Girokonto using Transferwise, or some similar service.

From an European point of view checks are an ancient relict of the last century. If the clerk was a millennial, then he/she has probably never seen one :).

11 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

From an European point of view checks are an ancient relict of the last century.

Rather a sweeping statement  in the UK their use is still widespread. Whilst in Switzerland you can still receive payment by cheque.

As the friendly chess tournament winner in London said to his defeated opponent upon picking  up his winnings- “ check, mate.”

10 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Rather a sweeping statement  in the UK their use is still widespread. Whilst in Switzerland you can still receive payment by cheque.

It is indeed a sweeping statement. Just brush him off..😜

23 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

From an European point of view checks are an ancient relict of the last century. If the clerk was a millennial, then he/she has probably never seen one :).

Go forward twenty years and tell future teenagers you used to pay for things in cash.😟😎🙈😀

If they have have music- loving grandparents, they might think you are referring to Johnny Cash!

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yeah, I should have added "advanced European countries" :).

My favourite as “ funniest post of the day!😂

Haha. Germany will be the last country in the whole wide world to stop paying cash: Cash is King! And what about all their black bank accounts.

Our Dutch friends here, Luke , are even more advanced! Last year, they invited a bunch of us to their house for dinner.

The rules: everyone brings their own food and drink, including for us ,  and please also bring cat food for our cats! And 2 euros per couple for the electricity bill.

😂

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Haha. Germany will be the last country in the whole wide world to stop paying cash: Cash is King! And what about all their black bank accounts.

Please don't use cash - it is not hygienic, it's time consuming and drains resources. There are plenty of alternatives. 

What are the black accounts? :huh:

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Cheque usage in the UK is not widespread; banks stopped issuing chequebooks except on request a while ago and plenty of places will not take them and that includes pretty much all major supermarkets and even the guy who cleans my windows once a year wants to be paid by cash or bank transfer, but no cheques. There might be some cheques of mine festering in a drawer somewhere, I certainly haven't used one in at least 6 or 7 years, if not longer.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Please don't use cash - it is not hygienic, it's time consuming and drains resources. There are plenty of alternatives. 

What are the black accounts? :huh:

Everything is unhygienic. I am not even sure the water I use to wash my hands every ten seconds because of the corona issue is hygienic. You can‘t even safely drink the water here. Everybody buys mineral water- even the locals.

3 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I was surprised last year to get a check from a French client.  I billed them in Euros and they had all info for a Ueberweisung / wire transfer to a German bank, but they mailed me a paper check.  My German bank took it with no trouble, but it was in Euros from a EU bank.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

There is already a thread on how people are dealing with their U.S. stimulus checks. Search CARES.

Thank you fraufruit! I see someone else got turned down by DB in that thread. I will take the check to my other 2 banks and will maybe post the results there.

7 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

do you still have a US checking account ? I kept mine just for that reason - to be able to cash occasional US-$ checks.

If you do, you may be able to deposit your check there - a lot of them offer services like taking a picture of your check with a smartphone and then sending it to be deposited into your account.

From there you could transfer the money to your German Girokonto using Transferwise, or some similar service.

I don't have a US account, but the smartphone picture of your check thing sounds cool.

13 hours ago, Marianne013 said:

Cheque usage in the UK is not widespread; banks stopped issuing chequebooks except on request a while ago and plenty of places will not take them and that includes pretty much all major supermarkets and even the guy who cleans my windows once a year wants to be paid by cash or bank transfer, but no cheques. There might be some cheques of mine festering in a drawer somewhere, I certainly haven't used one in at least 6 or 7 years, if not longer.

I have four relatives who still regularly pay by cheque to people who come to do work for them as they don't keep cash on the premises. 

Plenty of shops still take cheques as well. 

In 2017, 400 million cheques were written in the UK. That's about 6 cheques per person per year, or one every second month. Unless they are phased out legally, it will be decades before they disappear entirely as there'll always be a group of people who continue to use them quite a bit, even if the rest of the population doesn't. 

// Cheque usage in the UK is not widespread; banks stopped issuing chequebooks except on request a while ago and plenty of places will not take them  //

This is simply not true I have two UK bank accounts & use their cheques regularly. Cheques imo are a much superior system than the madly complicated German Ueberweisung where you have to know the bank details of the payee, whereas with a cheque I can just put it in an envelope & post it off to them. The Ueberweisung is a convenience for the bank, not the user.