Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Reciprocal Driving License from US

7 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm looking for some advice or if someone could point me to a professional to help switching my US license to a German one as my particular situation is not so simple. I've been living in Germany for 6 years (then I had a Florida license which means I would've just had to taken the theory test) and was unaware of the 3 year limit until you had to take the full blown German test. I haven't had a need to drive here till now. In December, I had to change my license to a Pennsylvania one coincidentally, which would be nice because it has full reciprocity here. 

 

Is there a way I can still take advantage of this? I just registered at a new apartment here in September so I was wondering if it's possible if I show them my anmeldung it seems as if I just moved here (combined with the fact I will have a new visa next month as mine is about to expire soon). Or if I can say I was back in the US for 6 months? There must be a way hopefully. Thank you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

28 minutes ago, verschwendedeinejugend said:

Is there a way I can still take advantage of this? I just registered at a new apartment here in September so I was wondering if it's possible if I show them my anmeldung it seems as if I just moved here (combined with the fact I will have a new visa next month as mine is about to expire soon). Or if I can say I was back in the US for 6 months?

 

Lying to the authorities to obtain a new license is not a good idea, especially when they will easily be able to see that you've been here longer.

 

28 minutes ago, verschwendedeinejugend said:

There must be a way hopefully. 

 

Yes, you can take the tests.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, verschwendedeinejugend said:

I just registered at a new apartment here in September so I was wondering if it's possible if I show them my anmeldung it seems as if I just moved here (combined with the fact I will have a new visa next month as mine is about to expire soon).

German administration is not sloppy. My Anmeldung even shows my 6- months stay back in 1993 when I was here as an exchange student. The whole history is in there.

 

Also, I didn't need to bring my Anmeldung since the Führerscheinstelle has direct access to the database of the KVR: Kreisverwaltungsreferat. They check online.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, verschwendedeinejugend said:

Hi. I'm looking for some advice or if someone could point me to a professional to help switching my US license to a German one as my particular situation is not so simple. I've been living in Germany for 6 years (then I had a Florida license which means I would've just had to taken the theory test) and was unaware of the 3 year limit until you had to take the full blown German test. I haven't had a need to drive here till now. In December, I had to change my license to a Pennsylvania one coincidentally, which would be nice because it has full reciprocity here. 

 

Is there a way I can still take advantage of this? I just registered at a new apartment here in September so I was wondering if it's possible if I show them my anmeldung it seems as if I just moved here (combined with the fact I will have a new visa next month as mine is about to expire soon). Or if I can say I was back in the US for 6 months? There must be a way hopefully. Thank you.

 

No, you cannot.  You missed your window.  If you try to pull a stunt like that, you will be in serious trouble.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys sure about this? They got rid of the time period to exchange licenses quite a while ago. If the OP now has a Pennsylvania license and can also prove that they’ve had a valid US license since before moving to Germany (thus not falling into the “tourist DL” thing), I don’t really see what the big problem is. Worst thing they will say is no. 


i exchanged my IL license without a problem after having lived here for over ten years. All I had to do was prove I was driving in the states before I moved here. Old licenses/requesting your driving records from the department of transportation are enough proof. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If willowhands is correct, then hopefully I'm fine. It's a lot of money and time to go through the whole German driving lesson procedure, when I have a license already and know how to drive still. I've been back and forth from the US often this whole time. I've also read if you are back in the US for a certain period of time this window resets. There is a lot of misinformation / hearsay out there, so I came to this forum to hopefully get accurate clarification, not lecturing...

 

 I also read that if you switch your license to a new state (especially one with full reciprocacy) that you have to wait a certain amount of time before applying for the German one, as to avoid people just switching license to skip the tests. Worst case, I'd just have to take the theory I guess as part of my old Florida license which would not be so bad. But does anyone have a definitive clarification on the time periods for when you can get your license still switched and also how long you would have to wait if you switched to a different US state. Thank you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, willowhands said:


i exchanged my IL license without a problem after having lived here for over ten years. All I had to do was prove I was driving in the states before I moved here. Old licenses/requesting your driving records from the d

 

I found on the Berlin website: "Um nach Ablauf der Fahrberechtigung mit dem ausländischen Führerschein weiterhin Kraftfahrzeuge in Deutschland führen zu können, benötigen Sie den deutschen Führerschein. Um diesen zu erhalten, müssen Sie einen Antrag auf Umschreibung der ausländischen Fahrerlaubnis stellen.
------>Es gibt keine Frist, in der dieser Antrag gestellt werden muss.<--------- Zu beachten ist nur, dass der ausländische Führerschein bei Antragstellung im Original vorliegen und noch gültig sein muss."

 

So if there is no deadline...then that part is clear. But still how long do I have to wait if I got my Pennsylvania license in December (before that I had a Florida license and have had one in general for almost 15 years...)?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0