Moving back to Germany - location & schools

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've been away for a few years. Looks like i will be moving back to Germany with the family. I need to pick a location that is not too expensive rent-wise, and which has a good international/british school as the kids started in the british system it will be too hard to change.

So looking for advice on general locations and schools.

well, I don't know how you plan on financing your stay - but shouldn't you also look for a place where your job will be located?

Like (for example) Munich has a decent international school - but high cost of living/housing - which may not be a problem, if your income supports that. On the other hand, Braunschweig has a decent international school - and relatively lower cost of living/housing - but will you be able to find a job there ?

Where were you living before? 

Karin is correct- more info needed before relevant advice can be given.  Does your partner work? How old are children? 

What is your profession?

Brexit date looming.

...and is the move intended to be permanent? If so, you may even wish to reconsider the decision in respect of British/International schools. One assumes your kids will want to integrate at some stage, and local schools would certainly help with that.

1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

well, I don't know how you plan on financing your stay - but shouldn't you also look for a place where your job will be located?

Like (for example) Munich has a decent international school - but high cost of living/housing - which may not be a problem, if your income supports that. On the other hand, Braunschweig has a decent international school - and relatively lower cost of living/housing - but will you be able to find a job there ?

I live close to Braunschweig and you can get really cheap housing in the surrounding villages.  Many people commute to Braunschweig to work.  I've never heard anything good or bad about the international school there but I knew a woman who was sending her son to international school in Hannover.

Thanks for all the answers so far.
In answer to questions:

- We all speak german, its the native language of the kids (3 & 13) but the older one started in a British school, and so I am reluctant to change that as the systems are very different.
- We used to live in Munich, so know full well about the expense of that option.

- Workwise its somewhat flexible though anywhere well connected to NRW is good as I work in IT/telco.

- My wife is not working at the moment though that might change if we move back.

I guess heading towards Bonn will be your friend then: Deutsche Telekomland, international schools in Bonn and Cologne. Don't want to flog a dead horse with the school system, but buying your oldest kid a bit of familiarity for a few years with English qualifications could lead to him spending the rest of his life trying to explain the equivalent levels to German unis and employers...of course, there's the international baccalaureate, but that would be a change from GCSEs too. 

I'm biased of course (and like living in the middle of nowhere), but there are bits of the Eifel which aren't too far from Bonn/Cologne (the nearest town to me, Bad Muenstereifel, even has a Gymnasium which offers a bilingual Abi and a direct, if very slow, train to Bonn). Somewhere like Rheinbach always seems quite nice when I drive through, isn't expensive to rent/buy, and is well connected to Bonn.