Car rentals in Ingolstadt

17 posts in this topic

Hallo Deutschland,

I have been feeling this urge to visit a friend since being isolated for the last 3 months. In this times, I feel it is better to rent a car instead of travelling with DB. I tried to check for car rentals via check24. Firstly, I had my Driving license(Foreign country issued in 2014) exchanged for a German one in November 2019. But, most of these rental services are saying that I must have my license for atleast one year. So, as I am having my current license only since  6 months, am I not eligible to rent a car? Or can I say that I had exchanged my old license and show that I have previous driving experience? Anyone with similar experiences could kindly help me reach peace.

I have just looked at my German licence which I exchanged for my UK  one last year.

Look at the back of the card which shows all the different classes of vehicle you are permitted to drive. Now look down column 10, which is "gültig ab". This shows the date from which you got your licence for that type of vehicle.

So e.g. mine shows motorbike from 1973, car from 1978.

So you should be OK to rent.

I can support what Feierabend says.  I hired cars a couple of times on my then recently acquired German licence (converted from a UK Licence) without a problem.

On 5/19/2020, 1:33:02, Feierabend said:

I have just looked at my German licence which I exchanged for my UK  one last year.

Look at the back of the card which shows all the different classes of vehicle you are permitted to drive. Now look down column 10, which is "gültig ab". This shows the date from which you got your licence for that type of vehicle.

So e.g. mine shows motorbike from 1973, car from 1978.

So you should be OK to rent.

I have lookep up my license. Under column 10, ther's just some dots indicating the type of vehicles I am allowed to drive. And under the cloumn gultig ab I have the date on which I got my German driving license. There is no mention about any data from my previous(Indian license)

On 5/19/2020, 2:28:50, starkebogen said:

I can support what Feierabend says.  I hired cars a couple of times on my then recently acquired German licence (converted from a UK Licence) without a problem.

Did you have the details from your UK license written on your German license. Or did you present you UK license while renting the car?

I did not have a UK licence when I hired the cars.  All I presented was the new(ish) German licence which had valid from dates that were both wrong and satisfactory for the car hire company.  I can't remember the dates on my surrendered UK license, but I know I had a full UK motorcycle license from 1964.  I also can't remember when I got a UK car licence, but I guess it was in the 1970s.  The German license shows motorcycle entitlement from 1975 and car entitlement from 1983.

5 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

I did not have a UK licence when I hired the cars.  All I presented the newish German licence which had valid from dates that were both wrong and satisfactory for the car hire company.  I can't remember the dates on my surrendered UK license, but I know I had a full UK motorcycle license from 1964.  I also can't remember when I got a UK car licence, but I guess it was in the 1970s.  The German license shows motorcycle entitlement from 1975 and car entitlement from 1983.

5 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

I did not have a UK licence when I hired the cars.  All I presented the newish German licence which had valid from dates that were both wrong and satisfactory for the car hire company.  I can't remember the dates on my surrendered UK license, but I know I had a full UK motorcycle license from 1964.  I also can't remember when I got a UK car licence, but I guess it was in the 1970s.  The German license shows motorcycle entitlement from 1975 and car entitlement from 1983.

Right now, I am a bit confused about this. There is no mention of any date backing for more than one year on my license. So, technically some companies have a rule that I have min 1year driving experience or can it be interpreted as min 1 year possession of my current license. Even when i call the customer care guys, they don't have a concrete answer. They are sking me to check up with the station.

I exchanged my licence in November 2019 too, and original dates show up on reverse of licence (1978) for different vehicle classes.  Suggest OP queries this.

On 5/20/2020, 6:04:11, snowingagain said:

I exchanged my licence in November 2019 too, and original dates show up on reverse of licence (1978) for different vehicle classes.  Suggest OP queries this.

Op queries? didn't get you.

On 5/20/2020, 4:55:48, BobbyDigital said:

I'd probably check up with the station.

I've contacted the station via phone call. They said if I have converted my Old one, it won't be an issue. But I am not sure as there is no mention of my old date on the License.

20 hours ago, Faulerbear said:

Op queries? didn't get you.

OP = you (original poster)

queries = asks?? no idea what they were trying to say to be honest...

20 hours ago, Faulerbear said:

I've contacted the station via phone call. They said if I have converted my Old one, it won't be an issue. But I am not sure as there is no mention of my old date on the License.

Yeah, but it's been 10 days now. Why don't you just go there and find out? I don't think anyone here is gonna be able to help you out more than their own customer service.

6 hours ago, BobbyDigital said:

OP = you (original poster)

queries = asks?? no idea what they were trying to say to be honest...

Yeah, but it's been 10 days now. Why don't you just go there and find out? I don't think anyone here is gonna be able to help you out more than their own customer service.

Thanks to clear it up, I didn't know the terminology. I will contact my service provider.

3 minutes ago, Faulerbear said:

Thanks to clear it up, I didn't know the terminology. I will contact my service provider.

There are some threads on the site from Indians who have either converted their licence or started from scratch.  The ones who have converted say they had problems with car rental, insurance, etc.  Some said they got round this by asking to keep their Indian licence, and were successful and got it back (stamped that it had been converted to a German one).  The one's who had gone the expensive route of just doing the whole German licence thing got to keep their Indian licence, and the car hire people seemed happy with that.  

On 5/26/2020, 4:56:06, snowingagain said:

There are some threads on the site from Indians who have either converted their licence or started from scratch.  The ones who have converted say they had problems with car rental, insurance, etc.  Some said they got round this by asking to keep their Indian licence, and were successful and got it back (stamped that it had been converted to a German one).  The one's who had gone the expensive route of just doing the whole German licence thing got to keep their Indian licence, and the car hire people seemed happy with that.  

Well, I had no issues renting the car. Surprisingly, they didn't raise a question about my DL validity. I just walked in, showed them my Documents. They said everything was just fine. Now, I can rent for short term with Buchbinder. I inquired with a few freinds and Indian colleagues, they didn't have any mention of dates from their Indian License.

And wasted your time and other peoples. 

4 minutes ago, McDee said:

And wasted your time and other peoples. 

Not really. As per the suggestions, I have called the station prior and inquired if this works. Also, I got information from the customer service in form of mail which I took in printed form. I guess it was easy because I had spoken to them twice and was able to convey my problem. I guess no one is so free to waste time here in these forums? Maybe my thread could help others in future.