German residency permit renewal

119 posts in this topic

Can somebody please explain the difference(s) between erlaubnis and bewilligung?

A Bewilligung is an approval to work and is usually limited to a particular job, function or employer. An Erlaubnis is a more general permit to work in any position anywhere. A Bewilligung is for a fixed period of time, and may not always be renewable, and Erlaubnis may be unrestricted and is usually renewable. Normally non-EU citizens get a Bewilligung for, say 3 years tying them to a job (employer) and can then apply for an Erlaubnis of 3-5 years and gives them some flexibility to move jobs if they wish, having proved their "commitment" to be here. Later they can apply for an unrestricted Erlaubnis, although these are not common unless you have clearly settled here for the longer term (e.g with spouse and kids). There are no rules for any of this, as it depends on individual circumstances, job, person who issues the papers, phase of the moon, etc.

YL6, it looks like there is a third visa type here too. When looking into my passport I see that have 'laubnis'(this is my first permit here in germany) however it is not unlimited but valid for 3 years.

I have a concern regarding the renewal of my aufenthaltserlaubnis which is up on 3 March 2017. This was a 3 year permit which I obtained after getting married to my German husband.

I am Canadian, still married and employed. I was offered an Integration Course after our wedding but did not complete it, I stopped at A2.1 level. 

When I called the Auslanderamt to schedule the appointment (on 28 Feb), the lady asked me if I completed the integration course. It sounds like I need to show a B1 certificate in order to renew the visa. However this was never mentioned to me 3 years ago, I did not know the integration course and exams were MANDATORY.

I told her there isn't enough time until March to get the B1 certificate. She said in this case she might be able to give me a 1 year Visa. And after this I need to show that I passed the B1 exam.

What does MIGHT mean??? Do I risk being expelled from the country??!

I am employed, still married, with a Bachelor's degree from a Canadian university. I am confident I am at least A2 level but don't think I could take a B1 exam now.

My Auslanderamt is in Freising , in case this is relevant.

Thank you all for your help!

Vanessa

When I came here over 6 years ago, I had to take the A1 course immediately and then  I think it was one year to finish the B1 Integration course.  However, I had people in my class who had lived here for 15-20 years and just were told then to take the B1.  As with most things in Germany, it depends on who you are, who you talk to and what influence you have.  So it's been in effect for at least 6 years.  In three years you should have been able to find this out.  I would take the 1 year extension and then get it done already. 

It seems that it is an expectation-  so why would you not want to improve your language fluency?   Doubt that you ill be deported!    As Gary says, take the 1 year and take the course.

3 hours ago, vmelchers said:

I am Canadian, still married and employed. I was offered an Integration Course after our wedding but did not complete it, I stopped at A2.1 level. 

When I called the Auslanderamt to schedule the appointment (on 28 Feb), the lady asked me if I completed the integration course. It sounds like I need to show a B1 certificate in order to renew the visa. However this was never mentioned to me 3 years ago, I did not know the integration course and exams were MANDATORY.

I told her there isn't enough time until March to get the B1 certificate. She said in this case she might be able to give me a 1 year Visa. 

If you were verpflichtet to take the Integration Course, you're only supposed to receive 1 year extensions until you reach B1. 

4 hours ago, vmelchers said:

However this was never mentioned to me 3 years ago, I did not know the integration course and exams were MANDATORY.

4 hours ago, vmelchers said:

Check your visa. There might be this clause:

IMG_20170111_183223~01~01.jpg

No such mention on the actual ID card, but I will look in my papers just in case.

3 years ago I clearly recall the clerk asking me if I wanted to sign up to the integration course. I thought why not purely because of the government subsidy, but in no way did the clerk make it sound as though this was a prerequisite to my visa extension. Sigh

34 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

3 years ago I clearly recall the clerk asking me if I wanted to sign up to the integration course. I thought why not purely because of the government subsidy, but in no way did the clerk make it sound as though this was a prerequisite to my visa extension. Sigh

Same here, they just gave me a list of schools and said I could register myself in any of them, and that the fees would be subsidised.

Only when I read the clause on my visa was it clear that they meant business. :D

It's not a problem, you are in no way going to be deported for this. Your inconvenience would be that you will be denied a Niederlassungserlaubnis and you'll just be given a yearly extension till you get that sweet, sweet B1 and pass the "Leben in Deutschland" Test. ^_^

Did you talk to the clerk entirely in English that first time? I spoke broken German/Dutch, and was deemed to speak enough to not warrant the subsidy, though I was also not asked to take the integration course/language test (I actually really wanted the subsidy!). After 3 years, I was given permanent residence, still with no test/course, but my German is now at least B1.

So, if you spoke basically no German at the beginning, it could be why you were expected to take the course or test. But, if you don't you will not be kicked out. You might just be kept on 1-year temporary resident permits until you pass the test, after which you will get permanent residence.

Don't worry.

I've actually registered for the tests next month so that I can have them for when I try to naturalize.

Ok thanks guys for the encouragements. Knowing I won't get expelled immediately and can get this B1 exam within a year is really reassuring. 

7 hours ago, vmelchers said:

Ok thanks guys for the encouragements. Knowing I won't get expelled immediately and can get this B1 exam within a year is really reassuring. 

Stop worrying. Unless you decide to go on a shooting rampage or start dealing drugs in large quantities, you are not going to get deported. 

Ok, I have an official appointment on 1 March 2016 - visa expires 4 March, no stress.

The good news is the official invitation letter says I need to provide: proof of  A1 German language skills, rentenversischerungsverlauf, 3-month payslips and a husband. 

I ordered the Rentenversischerung-thingie online today. Does anybody know how long it takes to get it in the mail? there was no email confirmation or acknowledgement of receipt after I submitted my request online. 

Hmm, I thought you don't need the pension statements if you're the spouse of a Germ. I didn't need them. Just a document stating I was employed, and my passport/residence permit. It's crazy how different the requirements are for federal benefits.

Did you get just a renewed Aufenthaltstitel or a Niederlassungerlaubnis? I don't even know what I'll be getting. 

Niederlassungserlaubnis.

But wait - you only need A1? Maybe you can talk your way out of that, then, with your A2 German? Give it a shot. Tell them you're employed, especially if you've been continuously employed  (maybe take your contract with you - would help if it's permanent). It's weird that they're also asking your husband to go (I went alone).

Actually, just looked at the email with the requirements they gave me: application, passport, photo, residence permit, payslips, proof of permanent employment and contract, rental contract, proof I'm getting Kindergeld and cash. But, I think they didn't actually take the work and rental contracts.

I was very relieved when I saw only A1. I have a certificate from the VHS-Frankfurt that I completed A1 level from 2014, back when I was still participating in the integration course. 

I am hoping this will be sufficient because I looked up dates for A1 tests in Munich area and only 1 was available before 1 March and it was a lot of money, 3-4 hours long. Also, I don't know how long it takes to get the grade so I might not even get it in time for 1march. 

I know my level is between A2 and B1 so not concerned about sounding below A1 during the interview.

I concur, the fact that the requirements are so different from province/city is crazy...